Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Aero steel frame : didn't know that existed. Any idea what is this one?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Aero steel frame : didn't know that existed. Any idea what is this one?

Old 09-20-21, 05:35 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I don't buy into the theory that Shimano killed their AX series in favour of SIS. The circumstantial evidence suggests the big issue was lack of market acceptance.
(remainder omitted).
T-Mar, I hope you long outlive me (and I hope to live decades longer). You're a wonderful - and IMO, irreplaceable - resource for this forum.

Be careful out there, OK? (smile)

Last edited by Hondo6; 09-20-21 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Changed wording
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 09-20-21, 10:17 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts

Faggin Aero. Has the squished DT/ST and aero profile forks and seat stays. Rides great.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 09-20-21, 10:42 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by GordonP
Good day, I've been corresponding with a gentleman who has a Velosport Super Aero and from the pictures it looks like it is in great condition. He has no clue what he has and I am wondering what a reasonable offer for this bike would be?
Thanks in advance for any responses!
Gordon P
Start a new thread in the appraisals sub-forum, your reply here will only get lost and not replied to. Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. - Bike Forums You can link this thread for reference. Pics and location always help with appraisal accuracy.
Old 09-21-21, 04:19 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Good day, I've been corresponding with a gentleman who has a Velosport Super Aero and from the pictures it looks like it is in great condition. He has no clue what he has and I am wondering what a reasonable offer for this bike would be?
Gordon P
Try posting some photos in your BF album that we can assist you in their display. There's not enough information in your post to be able to even guess.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-26-21, 07:14 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Gordon P
As others have said we need images of the bike (drive side) and also images of the components would be a great help. Velo Sport Aero framesets varied quite a bit as to what components were on them. Early ones had anything from Shimano Adamas AX (low end) to Dura Ace AX (top of the line at the time) components on them.

I'm looking forward to seeing which bike and components this is.

Cheers
Old 09-26-21, 11:33 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Hproduguidon
in France motobecane made bicycles aero acier

Gitane and Peugeot had aero models as well.

Not sure which tubing was used on Gitanes but Peugeot made their own Carboprofil tubing.
Had a 1982 Peugeot PH12 about a year ago, now sold with aero downtube, seat tube and stays, internally routed downtube shift cables, also brake cables internally routed through handlebar. Peugeot branded but Suntour made symmetric downtube shifters.
Old 09-27-21, 01:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Couldn't any framebuilder make his own blocks and ovalize tubing? (Not saying it would ever pan out $$-wise.) Like framebuilders do to ends to make DTs stiffer at the BB and the headtube weld deeper and stronger.
Some had ovalized lugs, which I think is the case with this bike. One could make welded lugs, but it would be more work.

The Shimano AX components had a lot of cool features, but aren't particularly compatible with other components. However, I believe there are people who make 9/16" pedal inserts to use standard pedals with the AX cranks.

Originally Posted by himespau
I've heard its awful hard to source replacements for those aero shifters (also hard to convert them into cable stops), so don't lose those. Based on their presence, I'd estimate it's older than the Univega described above, but I could be very wrong.
The brake hoods above are not original and look pretty hacked up. Shimano AX hoods are difficult to source and expensive.
Old 09-27-21, 07:59 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
...Shimano AX hoods are difficult to source and expensive.
I ended up making my own from leather.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-28-21, 07:03 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
As others have said we need images of the bike (drive side) and also images of the components would be a great help. Velo Sport Aero framesets varied quite a bit as to what components were on them. Early ones had anything from Shimano Adamas AX (low end) to Dura Ace AX (top of the line at the time) components on them.

I'm looking forward to seeing which bike and components this is.

Cheers
In this case, the model was stated as being a Super Aero. That means it's 600AX, barring misidentification and/or replacement components. The Dura-Ace AX models were the Image and Inage Dura (in this case the Dura refers to the frame's Duraluminum alloy), while the Adamas AX model was the Aero. These Vélo Sport model designations and configuratrions were consistent thoughout Simnao's AX era. However, I do agree that pictures are required to confirm the condition, the degree of orignality and consequently, the value.
Old 09-28-21, 06:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

In this case, the model was stated as being a Super Aero. That means it's 600AX, barring misidentification and/or replacement components. The Dura-Ace AX models were the Image and Inage Dura (in this case the Dura refers to the frame's Duraluminum alloy), while the Adamas AX model was the Aero. These Vélo Sport model designations and configuratrions were consistent thoughout Simnao's AX era. However, I do agree that pictures are required to confirm the condition, the degree of orignality and consequently, the value.
The one bike that I most regret selling was my Velo Sport aero frame bike with Dura Ace AX components. The frameset was a salmon colour.. Bloor Cycles in Toronto Canada used similar bikes but painted in the Bloor Cycles team colours. IIRC, my bike was a spare for the team.

Cheers
Old 09-28-21, 07:36 PM
T-Mar

The one bike that I most regret selling was my Velo Sport aero frame bike with Dura Ace AX components. The frameset was a salmon colour.. Bloor Cycles in Toronto Canada used similar bikes but painted in the Bloor Cycles team colours. IIRC, my bike was a spare for the team.

Cheers
The Vélo Sport model that the Bloor Cycle Team raced was the Supra. It was Campagnolo SR equipped and used round Columbus SL tubes. The Image came in the same vermeil red colour as the Supra and while it was Dura-Ace AX equipped, it used round Tange #2 tubes. If Bloor had an aero tubed bicycle with Dura-Ace AX, it was something custom for time trials and not a stock Vélo Sport model. The stock Supra was used for criteriums and road races in 1984 and 1985, before switching to their house Santini brand for the 1986 team bicycles.
Old 09-30-21, 12:07 AM
Miele Man

The Vélo Sport model that the Bloor Cycle Team raced was the Supra. It was Campagnolo SR equipped and used round Columbus SL tubes. The Image came in the same vermeil red colour as the Supra and while it was Dura-Ace AX equipped, it used round Tange #2 tubes. If Bloor had an aero tubed bicycle with Dura-Ace AX, it was something custom for time trials and not a stock Vélo Sport model. The stock Supra was used for criteriums and road races in 1984 and 1985, before switching to their house Santini brand for the 1986 team bicycles.
Well I know for a fact that the Velo Sport Dura Ace AX equipped bike I bought used from Bloor Cycle had aero tubing on it not round. It was a really nice bike.

Cheers
Old 10-01-21, 08:03 AM
T-Mar

Well I know for a fact that the Velo Sport Dura Ace AX equipped bike I bought used from Bloor Cycle had aero tubing on it not round. It was a really nice bike.

Cheers
Sorry, my intention was not to suggest that you did not own such a bicycle, only that it does not appear to be a Vélo Sport production model. I have all the AX era Vélo Sport literature and such a model is not catalogued. Nor is it in my Bloor Cycle catalogues of the era. I also owned the Dura-Ace AX model, the Image, and it was round tubed, as shown in the catalogues. Finally, I was competing and coaching during this era and particpated in many of the same events as the Bloor Cycle Team. Looking back though the old photos, I can only find Bloor members on stock Supra with Campagnolo SR. Consequently, the existance of such a bicycle, suggests a specialty model, something that Vélo Sport did not market to the public. As I'm sure you are aware, it's an age old practice for cycling teams to apply their bicycle supplier's decals to machines not marketed or manufactured by them..
Old 10-01-21, 08:20 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
T-Mar & Miele Man

I have seen a few Velo Sport steel aero tubed frames from, I believe, the early 80s. I believe they were a production model, but I can't recall what components they had. The last one I saw was in the early 2000s so it is very likely the parts would have been changed, esp. the cranks which may have been AX type and not have had the standard 9/16" pedal thread.
Old 10-01-21, 09:06 AM
Miele Man

Sorry, my intention was not to suggest that you did not own such a bicycle, only that it does not appear to be a Vélo Sport production model. I have all the AX era Vélo Sport literature and such a model is not catalogued. Nor is it in my Bloor Cycle catalogues of the era. I also owned the Dura-Ace AX model, the Image, and it was round tubed, as shown in the catalogues. Finally, I was competing and coaching during this era and particpated in many of the same events as the Bloor Cycle Team. Looking back though the old photos, I can only find Bloor members on stock Supra with Campagnolo SR. Consequently, the existance of such a bicycle, suggests a specialty model, something that Vélo Sport did not market to the public. As I'm sure you are aware, it's an age old practice for cycling teams to apply their bicycle supplier's decals to machines not marketed or manufactured by them..
No need to be sorry. What information you have supplied goes a long way to explaining why I have never been able to find another Velo Sport Aero frameset with Dura Ace AX components on it.

So, I guess if I want an aero frameset with Dura Ace AX components on it I'll need to be looking for a frameset other than a Velo Sport.

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-01-21, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

...What information you have supplied goes a long way to explaining why I have never been able to find another Velo Sport Aero frameset with Dura Ace AX components on it.

So, I guess if I want an aero frameset with Dura Ace AX components on it I'll need to be looking for a frameset other than a Velo Sport...
The closest that you could get with Vélo Sport would be to take a Super Aero frame, paint it verneil red and replace the 600AX with Dura-Ace AX. Still, it would only be a quasi-aero frame, with the down and seat tubes being aero section only in the middle.
Old 10-03-21, 07:44 PM
dolbydj 

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This Velosport was my first Covid lock down project. I didn't do too much, just clean, grease, and cables. But still spent over 30 hours and sold it in Toronto last year for $650 CAD.

Old 10-04-21, 01:56 PM
FlemmingM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
Gitane and Peugeot had aero models as well.

Not sure which tubing was used on Gitanes but Peugeot made their own Carboprofil tubing.
Had a 1982 Peugeot PH12 about a year ago, now sold with aero downtube, seat tube and stays, internally routed downtube shift cables, also brake cables internally routed through handlebar. Peugeot branded but Suntour made symmetric downtube shifters.
I believe Gitane used French tubes; Camus Aero7 for the Gitane Vigorelli and a special Super Vitus for the Gitane Profil.
Old 10-21-21, 06:57 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny7
6 months after starting this thread, i have acquired my second aero frame !

Quoting myself here as I am about to begin this build. I ordered a 26.8 seatpost as this was the measure indicated by my digital caliper. However -- rookie mistake -- the inside of the seat tube was quite dirty, and after a little cleanup my measure is more around 27.05. I've also used a flat screwdriver to loosen the clamp area a little bit. As a result I can now fit a 26.8 seatpost (it wiggles a tiny bit) or a 27.0 (it is a bit tight however, it's not "sliding" in but I don't need to apply too much force).

Does anybody know if one measure is more likely to be the right one with such a set of aero tubes? Or more simply: in case of doubt, is it better to go with the bigger seatpost or with the smaller one?
Old 10-24-21, 07:04 PM
GordonP

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Norco Rampage, Bontrager Privateer S, Motobecane Super Touring, Rocky Mountain Hammer Frankenbike, Marinoni Turismo Extream, Marinoni Special, Tern Link 8

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
There is an Velosport Aero on the Montreal Kijiji for $400.
Old 10-29-21, 10:33 PM
Lightfoot21

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not on this forum as much lately, but when I log on, I always learn something of value. Thanks T-Mar for your loyalty to the site and for the information you share with everyone. I really appreciate it and I'm sure many others do as well. Accurate information is not so easy to find on the web these days.
Old 10-31-21, 06:14 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
The most interesting of these bikes, at least IMO, was the Lotus Super Pro Aero - I think it had the most radical and integrated design concept, and its appearance in popular mechanic upped its profile on the mainstream.

It used the Wolber aero rims, the full AX group, including the seat post, nitto aero bars, and every tube was part of the concept. I haven’t seen any of the other aero bikes with this degree of modification…

Mine is mostly as sold, but a few “close as I could gets”.
Old 10-31-21, 06:16 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Not sure why photos didn’t upload..:

Likes For KonAaron Snake: