Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant Defy 2 2012 fork replacement - is it possible?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-26-21, 01:18 PM
kadar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I've bought a used Giant Defy 2 (2012) - ML size.

I'm 5' 10.5'' so the ML size sounds just about right. Although I experimented with bunch of different saddle settings (for/aft, height), and stems from 80mm/8deg to 100mm/7deg I couldn't get rid of this weird feeling of being pushed too much forward when riding. I felt too much pressure on my hands.
I started with the original stem (100mm/7deg) and then moved to 80mm/8deg thinking that it will shorten my reach, thus releasing pressure from my hands. Turned out, that it was even worse (!), as by shortening my stem, my position went down as well. Counterintuitive, I know...

I installed my original stem back, and started googling for this bike, to see how people set it up. To my surprise, the internet pictures revealed, that the original model, should have at least 35mm spacers below the stem (not sure what the exact number is, because I measured it with Kinovea app taking as the reference, the cup that's just below the spacers). Seems like the previous owner decided to make it a racing bike by getting rid of the unnecessary steering tube part. I don't have any spacers - just a head tube, a cup, and a stem.

My first thought was like, ok let's just get some spare steerer, and weld the missing 35mm back...No no no - turned out it's alluminium. Started looking for used parts but, to my surprise it's not that easy to get a used Giant fork - especially from 2012. Went for a new one. Same thing, couldn't find any. Contacted my local Giant Dealer, and now waiting for their resposne. In the meantime I started looking if there are any replacement options. Not that much info either. I'm not even sure, how to decide if a non Giant, tapered fork (in Giant terms - overdrive) will fit my frame. Is it normalised in some way? Are there any good online stores with this kind of parts? Whenever I go, I see just a couple of forks for about 200-300 USD, which is what I paid for the whole bike! (and I'm not even sure if they would fit the frame).

One thing that I could do, would be to get 90mm +17deg stem, to bridge the saddle - handlebar drop difference. This is some kind of a remedy, but when looking from the handlebar height perspective, all that would give me is just a starting position of this bike with 100mm/-7deg stem and stock steering tube length.

What are my options here when it comes to replacing the fork? Anyone aware what the price of the original one might be? Any replacement options?

Thanks!

Last edited by kadar; 06-26-21 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 02:16 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
ML sounds too big to me. I guess you are stuck with it now?
Old 06-26-21, 03:29 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I am your height and ride a ML Defy.
It depends on your bike fit and body proportions.
Have you previously ridden a drop bar bike that you were comfortable on?
If so transfer the "fit" to the Defy (saddle set back/height/reach/ drop).
Then see what sort of stem you need and if that is reasonable.
Old 06-26-21, 07:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The size of the bike sounds fine for your height, the problem is the slammed stem. If the saddle to bar drop is too much as you articulated then getting a 17 degree stem is the right thing to do. The second thing I would buy are Specialized Hoover bars. The have a rise in the bar that will help get your hands higher by 15 mm. The combination of the stem and the bars may be close enough.
Old 06-27-21, 06:12 AM
kadar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
ML sounds too big to me. I guess you are stuck with it now?
I think M might be a bit better, but with ML I don't feel like I can't reach the bar. Seems like the distance is just about right, but the problem is they are too low. I haven't ridden much on a road bike before, so I'd probably need to get more flexible until it gets comfortable...

Originally Posted by Dean V
I am your height and ride a ML Defy.
Have you previously ridden a drop bar bike that you were comfortable on?
Nope, this is my first road bike.

Originally Posted by blakcloud
The size of the bike sounds fine for your height, the problem is the slammed stem. If the saddle to bar drop is too much as you articulated then getting a 17 degree stem is the right thing to do. The second thing I would buy are Specialized Hoover bars. The have a rise in the bar that will help get your hands higher by 15 mm. The combination of the stem and the bars may be close enough.
Thanks for pointing out these bars, wasn't even aware such exist! 17 deg stem is on the way. If it's not enough, I think it'll be worth trying them out (unless giant dealer pops up with a decent price for a new fork )

Thanks for the answers!
Old 06-27-21, 01:18 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by kadar
I think M might be a bit better, but with ML I don't feel like I can't reach the bar. Seems like the distance is just about right, but the problem is they are too low. I haven't ridden much on a road bike before, so I'd probably need to get more flexible until it gets comfortable...

Nope, this is my first road bike.

Thanks for pointing out these bars, wasn't even aware such exist! 17 deg stem is on the way. If it's not enough, I think it'll be worth trying them out (unless giant dealer pops up with a decent price for a new fork )

Thanks for the answers!
Im new to cycling…..but maybe give it some time before making a bunch of changes. When I bought my 2020 Defy…..I thought it was way too big/stretched out on the first couple of rides. Now I’m used to it….and am incredibly comfy and happy with the bike.

I tried slamming my Felt AR5….and hated it. Sure…it looked “cool”, but the riding position sucked for me.
Old 06-27-21, 01:43 PM
kadar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GBK233
Im new to cycling…..but maybe give it some time before making a bunch of changes. When I bought my 2020 Defy…..I thought it was way too big/stretched out on the first couple of rides. Now I’m used to it….and am incredibly comfy and happy with the bike.

I tried slamming my Felt AR5….and hated it. Sure…it looked “cool”, but the riding position sucked for me.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Not sure however, how much is enough to get used to a road bike. I've made around 1600 km on mine. Maybe it's enough, maybe it's ridiculously small - I don't know. I haven't found any exact figures for that. The reality is, when I go for more than 1 hour trip, I'm still getting some hand numbness, and sometimes pain, which leads me to believe that it's not adjusted properly. I'm even more convinced after seeing pictures of the original model, with a couple of spacers below the stem - that looks a lot more comfy than what I have now.

How long did it take you to get used to yours?
Old 06-27-21, 01:55 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. Not sure however, how much is enough to get used to a road bike. I've made around 1600 km on mine. Maybe it's enough, maybe it's ridiculously small - I don't know. I haven't found any exact figures for that. The reality is, when I go for more than 1 hour trip, I'm still getting some hand numbness, and sometimes pain, which leads me to believe that it's not adjusted properly. I'm even more convinced after seeing pictures of the original model, with a couple of spacers below the stem - that looks a lot more comfy than what I have now.

How long did it take you to get used to yours?
Took me a few days. Finally got smart and just took a ride thru my neighborhood….stopping every few mins and tweaking my seat height and/or setback until it was close to perfect. In hindsight….I had been riding the Felt AR5 with the seat too far forward and I had some perineum discomfort and some hand numbness. Was constantly move my arse around during rides to get comfy.
I’ve also now realized that the bike is a touch too small for me. 54cm frame and I’m 6ft tall.

The Defy is much roomier and stretched out. From what I’ve read….having the seat too far forward can shift weight onto the hands. Some vids online showing how you should be able to take hands of the bars and continue pedaling without falling forward(on a trainer)…..if your setback is correct. Don’t know how true that is….but it worked for me.
Old 06-27-21, 02:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I was partly just saying that about the ML size just to shock you. Your "sounds just about right" Sort of made me want to be snarky.

Though the medium might have been a little better fit. But with out seeing you on both bikes I'd not really know.

Likely the previous owner had the steerer tube cut after removing the spacers that it came with. I just put mine on top the stem so I can change my mind if I ever want to at a later date. Looks dorky I know, but hey, I won't have to spend big bucks to solve that issue.

You might look at riser handle bars and a more angled stem. Riser handlebars alone can get you a couple cm or so higher. And bars and stem will likely be way less than a new fork.
Old 06-27-21, 02:26 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
You might want to experiment with tipping the saddle back a very small amount, in between test rides. A forward tipping saddle puts more weight on your hands.
Old 06-27-21, 02:49 PM
kadar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iride01
I was partly just saying that about the ML size just to shock you. Your "sounds just about right" Sort of made me want to be snarky.

Though the medium might have been a little better fit. But with out seeing you on both bikes I'd not really know.

Likely the previous owner had the steerer tube cut after removing the spacers that it came with. I just put mine on top the stem so I can change my mind if I ever want to at a later date. Looks dorky I know, but hey, I won't have to spend big bucks to solve that issue.

You might look at riser handle bars and a more angled stem. Riser handlebars alone can get you a couple cm or so higher. And bars and stem will likely be way less than a new fork.

Before I bought it, I had checked giant sizing charts, and for my height M and ML were fine. I was kind of on a lower end for ML, and about in the middle of the recommended height for M. Hard to say if this choice was right or wrong - nothing actually was against it Now maybe my thinking would be to first check a similar frame and a smaller one in a local LBS. Maybe that would give me some reference point.

The thing you mentioned about putting the spacers below the stem, just in case you changed your mind, is something obvious I would do as well. It's not only more flexible in terms of the bike set up, but you also need to put so much more thought into measuring it right, making sure the cut is stright, and being 100% sure you won't want to change it back. Anyway, it's been done and cannot be undone sadly....

Just a question - what exactly do you mean by "riser handlebars"? Is it something like the mentioned Specialized Hoovers?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-21, 02:55 PM
kadar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
You might want to experiment with tipping the saddle back a very small amount, in between test rides. A forward tipping saddle puts more weight on your hands.
As of now it's leveled. Wouldn't tipping the saddle back put too much pressure on the perineum? Sometimes I ride on drops and I'm afraid it would introduce another numbness But I'll give it a try of course
Old 06-27-21, 03:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Just a question - what exactly do you mean by "riser handlebars"? Is it something like the mentioned Specialized Hoovers?
Yes, but the Specialized Hoovers are pretty expensive. They have an alloy version for just $55. They both only have 15 mm of rise which might be enough for you, but I've seen some with about 2 cm of rise or more somewhere. Just google for "riser drop handle bars"

Good luck finding stuff in stock. I need a shorter stem and the one I want has been out of stock for a while.