Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Do center turn lanes increase safety for bicycle riders?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-11-21, 09:17 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts

Our county engineers are expanding many county roads (most of which are 45 MPH) in residential areas from two lanes to two lanes + a center turn lane. They say, repeatedly, that this increases safety for people riding bicycles on adjacent multi-use trails because drivers don't feel pressured by cars behind them and so take more time to make a safe turn. This sounds well and good.

EXCEPT, many of us have never noticed a difference in practice. Cars on the new 3-lane roads seemingly turn in to us just as often as before and as often as on the still existing 2-lane roads. Fortunately it's not that often on either and when it does the drivers pretty much always stop before hitting anyone.

I'm thinking that at one point I'd seen a research paper on this.

Does anyone know?
Old 08-11-21, 09:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I can't imagine a motorist feeling so much anxiety about holding up those behind that he or she would intentionally put a cyclist or pedestrian at risk. They make unsafe turns because either they don't see the cyclist or underestimate the speed. My guess is that the main motivation for your county is traffic complaints, not cyclist safety.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-11-21, 03:07 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
I'm not sure if I know what a center turn lane is, then again we don't have many MUPs.
Old 08-11-21, 05:19 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
That explanation seems like a stretch to me. It would more likely improve conditions for road riders as it gives cars more room to pass. But I can't see it having much impact on drivers turning across adjacent MUPs.
Old 08-12-21, 05:04 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I'm not sure if I know what a center turn lane is, then again we don't have many MUPs.
I just looked up center turn lane, so now I know what they are...we call them Suicide Lanes down here in Florida.

I don't see how they would increase safety for MUP riders or any cyclist...that's not to say they're unsafe, just don't see a particular benefit.

Old 08-12-21, 08:52 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I am having a hard time visualizing what you are describing. How is the "Multi-use" trail interacting with the roadway in a residential area? Are people crossing the roadway to enter into their driveway?
Old 08-12-21, 10:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Centre turn lanes are for cars to turn left. They make no difference to the safety of cyclist who have to deal with right-hooks. Cyclists still have to look out for oncoming traffic turning left into their path regardless if the left-turning car is in a centre lane, a left turn lane or a through lane tuning left.

And as for cyclists using those lanes to turn left, they would have to cut through at least a lane of busy traffic from the far right side just to use them. Not a good idea.
Old 08-12-21, 01:00 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
On my usual route back home I travel a busy street with center turn lanes and bike lanes. The center turn lane makes the left turn back into my housing area much simpler and safer. I ride the bike lane until getting close to my turn, wait for a clear space in traffic, signal and move to the center lane. Then I can adjust my speed as needed to make the left turn when clear, without having an impatient driver behind me while I wait to turn. Actually, this is the same process I use when driving this route. The "cut through a lane of busy traffic" situation can be done as safely or dangerously as the rider chooses. In this case a stop light several blocks back breaks up the traffic flow and it is not an issue.

I don't understand the reference to MUP trails - maybe it is in regard to a particular local situation.
Likes For MNebiker:
Old 08-12-21, 01:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Centre turn lanes are for cars to turn left. They make no difference to the safety of cyclist who have to deal with right-hooks. Cyclists still have to look out for oncoming traffic turning left into their path regardless if the left-turning car is in a centre lane, a left turn lane or a through lane tuning left.

And as for cyclists using those lanes to turn left, they would have to cut through at least a lane of busy traffic from the far right side just to use them. Not a good idea.

I do it all the time. Even on a 45mph road, these lanes are usually at traffic lights, and it sure beats trying to make the left hand turn from the right side of the road. You definitely signal the lane change and look behind you before starting it.
Old 08-12-21, 01:59 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I do it all the time. Even on a 45mph road, these lanes are usually at traffic lights, and it sure beats trying to make the left hand turn from the right side of the road. You definitely signal the lane change and look behind you before starting it.
Good for you.
Old 08-12-21, 02:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Good for you.

It's literally what the state law recommends, by the way. This "not a good idea" was just an uninformed opinion on your part.
Old 08-12-21, 02:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
We have very few MUPs that are parallel to roads, especially in rural areas.

However, as a driver, I like the center turn lanes. If I'm passing a cyclist either in a bike path, shoulder, or side of the road, then I'll move over, about halfway into the center turn lane to give some extra space.
Old 08-12-21, 02:26 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's literally what the state law recommends, by the way. This "not a good idea" was just an uninformed opinion on your part.
Aw, shucks.
Always finding a way to disagree with someone, eh? Can this thread be saved?

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-12-21 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 06:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Aw, shucks.
Always finding a way to disagree with someone, eh? Can this thread be saved?

Look, you're the one who said that left turn lanes are for cars. You posted an off-topic piece of misinformation. At least in most of the US, that's wrong legally. Bicyclists are supposed to turn left from the left turn lane. I don't disagree with you, you're just plain wrong.
Old 08-12-21, 08:47 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
At a light without an advance turn phase, then there is NO reason to go there. At best you save seconds. Lots of times I cross both ways, in the crosswalks, without stopping. Too many scenarios to generalize. Could be they are more dangerous, if they go for miles along endless shopping parking lots.
Old 08-12-21, 08:55 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
My experience with this kind of "paint engineering' is that it comes at the cost of reducing the shoulder area, which is the biggest concern for me. I don't really like MUPs that are paralleling roads; they seem like glorified sidewalks.

scott s.
Old 08-12-21, 09:22 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
...from two lanes to two lanes + a center turn lane.
It's a mess. Was talking to a young rider from Sam Marcos Texas. He describes what is called a "Continuous Flow Intersection". That's where traffic lights stop on coming traffic for drivers going through the intersection to turn and drive against the flow of traffic on the left side of the road. He said people who are not familiar with the intersection often just freeze up and stop not knowing what to do.

I asked what he does when he has to go through on a bicycle. He said he just waits at the preceding light and someone will signal to chase him through so he doesn't get run over. Thank goodness San Macros is a Bicycle Town. He said he has never had to wait long...

San Marcos Texas - I35 & Tx Hwy 80

Old 08-13-21, 04:41 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I just looked up center turn lane, so now I know what they are...we call them Suicide Lanes down here in Florida.

I don't see how they would increase safety for MUP riders or any cyclist...that's not to say they're unsafe, just don't see a particular benefit.

The only way I could think of is that they might eliminate quick, impulsive lane changes. Around here, sometimes if someone is turning left, the person/people behind them will switch into the other lane so they can pass the person turning without having to slow down/stop. Sometimes it's obvious they do this on an impulse and probably without really checking the other lane, because they may need to make that decision quickly as soon as they see brake lights/a turn signal 2-4 car lengths ahead if they're going to do it without having to slow down. That could be a problem to anyone in that other lane, but especially bicyclists or even motorcyclists who are less visible (so less likely to be seen by someone who doesn't look or who only looks really quickly).
Old 08-14-21, 09:28 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
When I commuted, there were bike lanes on both sides of the two lane road as well as a center left hand turn lane. I always found the turn lane very helpful when making my left turn since it gave me a ‘safe’ place to move to when making my turn. Never got cut off by drivers or had issues with drivers turning left across my bike lane. I think they are fantastic, but it depends on traffic volume, speed and the number of lanes.

Old 08-15-21, 07:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
drivers that turn in front of a cyclist don't lack driving knowledge they just think, "Imma beat that rider with my turn, & i dont care if they get ran over... they shouldnt be on the road anyway!!!"
Old 08-15-21, 07:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
The only way I could think of is that they might eliminate quick, impulsive lane changes. Around here, sometimes if someone is turning left, the person/people behind them will switch into the other lane so they can pass the person turning without having to slow down/stop. Sometimes it's obvious they do this on an impulse and probably without really checking the other lane, because they may need to make that decision quickly as soon as they see brake lights/a turn signal 2-4 car lengths ahead if they're going to do it without having to slow down. That could be a problem to anyone in that other lane, but especially bicyclists or even motorcyclists who are less visible (so less likely to be seen by someone who doesn't look or who only looks really quickly).
seems like the posted MPH is too fast & needs a decrease. Slower traffic speeds helps reduce poor decision making based on reaction times.
Old 08-16-21, 03:17 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
seems like the posted MPH is too fast & needs a decrease. Slower traffic speeds helps reduce poor decision making based on reaction times.
Nah. People will do it no matter how slow the speed limit is (and if the speed limit is slower, they may be even more impatient). Truth is that some of these streets do need a dedicated turn lane because traffic *will* be held up at heavy times while a left turner waits for the oncoming lanes to clear. Which is why nobody wants to wait.
Old 08-17-21, 01:53 AM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I'm not sure. Better follow street lights, if any. Just always be cautious at all times. How about setting a licensed ID for cyclists and as a requirement you should first under go an exam of street rule, would that be feasible?
Old 08-17-21, 06:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ropetwitch
I'm not sure. Better follow street lights, if any. Just always be cautious at all times. How about setting a licensed ID for cyclists and as a requirement you should first under go an exam of street rule, would that be feasible?
No. That would just stop people from learning to ride. Do you have any idea how much bureaucracy and administration that would take? Nationwide, that has to be in the billions of dollars in investment into something there's no reason to believe would be effective at anything other than discouraging bicycling.

So are you going to ban children from riding in the streets?

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-17-21 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-17-21, 09:07 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts

I believe they do if one is riding the road, for reasons already stated: Motorists overtaking cyclists can glide partially into the center lane to provide more buffer, and cyclists can safely use them when turning left. It seems questionable to me that there would be any benefit to cyclists riding on a parallel side path.
Likes For AlmostTrick: