Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on used Most bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Advice on used Most bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 11:13 AM
escuta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 16 Posts
Advice on used Most bars

Hi, I'm thinking of buying the Most drop bars pictured below. They seem to be the compact type and have a width of 44cm which is what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for anything super light, but are these old bars likely to be heavy? I couldn't find information for this model online.

The other question is about the stem which is included. My bike has steering column with a diameter of 1 1/8". I'm new to road bikes, do all have this diameter?

Still waiting to hear back from the seller on these questions.

The incline of the stem is 6° whereas my bike, a 2001 Principia Rex, has its steering tube angled at 17°. So the stem will be angled up at 11°. This is not something that bothers me but if there are any strong reasons why I shouldn't use this type, please say.

The bars and stem are at a good price and there are limited economical options available here, not like the US/Europe. So that's why I'm giving them strong consideration.

All the best,

Last edited by escuta; 08-17-21 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-17-21, 12:53 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
"Most" is a line of components from Pinarello, a very respected company that has never offered junky or substandard parts. Assuming this bar and stem are authentic (not counterfeit), it should be high quality.

That indeed appears to be a compact drop, which is a shape of bar that many people favor for modern road bikes. 44cm is kind of wide, but the size that will work well for you is very subjective and depends a lot on your body. (Wide shoulders/chest = 44ish is good. I have narrow shoulders and prefer a 40 or even 38cm) Some people feel a wider bar helps with breathing, by opening up the position of your torso a bit.

Most modern road bikes use a 1-1/8" steering column. In the era when your bike was made, not all did. It's best to measure before buying the stem, to be sure. If the asking price is good, you could gamble, and then if the stem does not fit your bike, you'll still have a nice bar and can get a stem elsewhere.

I would not sweat the weight of the handlebar. It's not made of solid iron. It will be fine on your bike.

There are no issues with using a 6 degree stem on a frame with 17 degree head tube. People mix and match these angles all the time. If you want the stem to sit parallel to the ground (some people care about this for purely aesthetic reasons), then you'd have to match them, but otherwise it's no problem. You can even flip the stem over to get positive or negative 6 degrees, depending on whether you want a more upright position for comfort or a lower position for better aerodynamics.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-17-21, 01:18 PM
escuta

Thanks. It's in another city but I'll ask the seller if he can measure the clamp. Fully closed, would it be just slightly less than 1 1/8"? My shoulder joints are about 45cm apart. Perhaps size 44 is a bit exaggerated(?) but aerodynamics is not such issue for me and I think I'll feel a bit more stable with something wider.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by Broctoon
"Most" is a line of components from Pinarello, a very respected company that has never offered junky or substandard parts. Assuming this bar and stem are authentic (not counterfeit), it should be high quality.

That indeed appears to be a compact drop, which is a shape of bar that many people favor for modern road bikes. 44cm is kind of wide, but the size that will work well for you is very subjective and depends a lot on your body. (Wide shoulders/chest = 44ish is good. I have narrow shoulders and prefer a 40 or even 38cm) Some people feel a wider bar helps with breathing, by opening up the position of your torso a bit.

Most modern road bikes use a 1-1/8" steering column. In the era when your bike was made, not all did. It's best to measure before buying the stem, to be sure. If the asking price is good, you could gamble, and then if the stem does not fit your bike, you'll still have a nice bar and can get a stem elsewhere.

I would not sweat the weight of the handlebar. It's not made of solid iron. It will be fine on your bike.

There are no issues with using a 6 degree stem on a frame with 17 degree head tube. People mix and match these angles all the time. If you want the stem to sit parallel to the ground (some people care about this for purely aesthetic reasons), then you'd have to match them, but otherwise it's no problem. You can even flip the stem over to get positive or negative 6 degrees, depending on whether you want a more upright position for comfort or a lower position for better aerodynamics.
Old 08-17-21, 01:51 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by escuta
Thanks. It's in another city but I'll ask the seller if he can measure the clamp. Fully closed, would it be just slightly less than 1 1/8"? My shoulder joints are about 45cm apart. Perhaps size 44 is a bit exaggerated(?) but aerodynamics is not such issue for me and I think I'll feel a bit more stable with something wider.
If you have average to wide shoulders (for an adult male), 44cm is probably good.

If the seller can measure the clamp for you, it should be right around 28.6mm (1-1/8") when the screws are totally loose. Often, it's marked right on the stem. Chances are this stem is 1-1/8" nominal. Tiny differences won't matter. It's the "steerer" on your fork that I'm not sure is this size. There were some 1" threadless forks around the time your bike was made. If you can measure it and confirm it's a nominal 1-1/8, that stem will most likely work for you.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-17-21, 02:31 PM
escuta

If you have average to wide shoulders (for an adult male), 44cm is probably good.
yes, that's me

If the seller can measure the clamp for you, it should be right around 28.6mm (1-1/8") when the screws are totally loose. Often, it's marked right on the stem. Chances are this stem is 1-1/8" nominal. Tiny differences won't matter. It's the "steerer" on your fork that I'm not sure is this size. There were some 1" threadless forks around the time your bike was made. If you can measure it and confirm it's a nominal 1-1/8, that stem will most likely work for you.
Great, thanks. I did measure the steerer and it did seem to be 1 1/8" but is the steerer diameter dependant on the frame/headset or the forks? If it's the former I can probably double check on a UK forum with a few Principia owners. The forks are ITM:

Old 08-17-21, 03:31 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
That stem looks like maybe you can flip it upside down, +6 or -6.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 08-18-21, 09:07 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by escuta
I did measure the steerer and it did seem to be 1 1/8" but is the steerer diameter dependant on the frame/headset or the forks? If it's the former I can probably double check on a UK forum with a few Principia owners. The forks are ITM:
The fork (steerer tube), headset, and head tube all have to be the right size to work together for a nominal 1-1/8" system. It is the steerer tube's outside diameter that will actually have that measurement. (Could be off by a few thousandths of an inch.)

I think you'll be fine with that stem.
Old 08-18-21, 09:29 AM
escuta

The fork (steerer tube), headset, and head tube all have to be the right size to work together for a nominal 1-1/8" system. It is the steerer tube's outside diameter that will actually have that measurement. (Could be off by a few thousandths of an inch.)

I think you'll be fine with that stem.
The seller just informed me that he measured 29.8mm with the bolts loosened. So a mm or so more than 1 1/8". Must be the right size. Thanks again for your help.
All the best,
Old 08-24-21, 07:42 AM
escuta

Posted this photo of the bike in another sub-forum here but here it is again, with the Most bars mounted, for completeness.

Likes For escuta:
Old 08-27-21, 07:18 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Glad to see you have sorted this out but I am concerned with the amount of spacer under the stem. The general consensus is 40 mm of spacers is the maximum and yours look longer (100 mm?). There are differences between aluminum steerers and carbon so that might be a consideration on many spacers are safe to use. They are better experts in this regard on this board and I would defer to them on what is safe for you.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-27-21, 09:48 AM
escuta

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Glad to see you have sorted this out but I am concerned with the amount of spacer under the stem. The general consensus is 40 mm of spacers is the maximum and yours look longer (100 mm?). There are differences between aluminum steerers and carbon so that might be a consideration on many spacers are safe to use. They are better experts in this regard on this board and I would defer to them on what is safe for you.
Interesting. There's 65mm of spacers. Pretty comfortable as is but if the space should be reduced, will do so.

Edit. Yes you have a point, with some Googling, it does seem to be too high for carbon forks, with one saying the max can be no more than 4-5cm (that was the most generous suggestion). I know I can flip the stem to get extra height, it's just that I find it ugly. :-) I'll try somewhere between 4 and 5cm.

Last edited by escuta; 08-27-21 at 10:15 AM.