Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

is it a mullet? if not, it might be a Hinny

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-13-21, 06:34 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts

Back in April, I hurt my knee after 5km the day following a 200km mountain bike weekend... As I knew that the setup was not as good as it should, I went for a fitting that revealed very little needed to be changed... So I fixed a few things and to ease the stress on my knees, I tried a cheap 36T chainring. It did help but I was not too pleased with the chainline alignment (+4.5mm Offset). A New eagle oval 36T +6offset came for sale cheaply on ebay I put it on and it was much better but my knees were still a little tender.
As I was looking into crank length for my daughter's bike, I remember the fitter advised me to go shorter because I am small... I read several things including the following article.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03687016302125

When applying the calculation ratio for adult based on leg length, I found that 165 cranks is almost optimal for me. I had been looking for a rival 165 crankset but the crisis did not help before the summer. I looked again and thanks to Brexit, once all duties paid, a Rival 165 imported from the EU cost £5 less than a locally sourced carbon force 1 crankset so I put a 165 carbon with a new kmc x11SL chain. This was much nicer on my knees...
and last week, while washing Netflix late at night... I put a low offer for a new shimano SLX 11-46 cassette... and it got accepted... So it went on the bike at the weekend and I put a new SRAM PC1110 ( I kept these cheap one on the shelf as I don't want to be stopped by the consumable)...
I did 2 shakedown rides and it is really nice...
=> go up offroad hill easily although I didn't do something too challenging as it was 9.00PM in the dark...
=>It is quick on gravel path; I raced 4 deers (3 males 1 females) @ 28kph (again it was 9.00PM)

The new transmission is very smooth and quiet and I think it is down to the chain, the sram outer links are flat whereas the kmc are raised/shaped with the X bridge which I think made the transition noisy.

So 21.9 to 91.8 gear inch... not quite as broad as 40T or 38T x 11-50T but is it mullet enough?
Old 09-13-21, 04:27 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Isn't the requirement to call something a mullet being that you've mixed and matched road (usually on the front end, business) and MTB (on the back end, party) components in assembling the drivetrain?
Likes For Badger6:
Old 09-13-21, 04:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
...shimano SLX 11-46 cassette...
That's a mountain bike cassette, so if you put it on a gravel bike, it's a mullet.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-13-21, 11:42 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by Badger6
Isn't the requirement to call something a mullet being that you've mixed and matched road (usually on the front end, business) and MTB (on the back end, party) components in assembling the drivetrain?
As above, slx is XC mtb range and the front is 36T is eagle, mtb range of sram (hence Hinny)

the range is just a little narrower as 11-46 rather than 11-50 or 11-52.

Last edited by Fentuz; 09-14-21 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-14-21, 05:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Below the drivetrain on my Koga-Miyata 'Graveller'.

48/28 in the front with a Dura-Ace front derailleur and a 11-32T 11-speed with Deore rear derailleur in the rear. Indexed/friction bar-ends. 24.3 to 121 gear inches.
In a next iteration I will probably change it to a 46/26 x 11-36T for a 20.1 to 116 gear inches range.

Old 09-14-21, 05:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
That or a Shimano x Campagnolo mixture IIRC.
Old 09-14-21, 07:14 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Either that is a horrible picture or that chainring is trashed.
Old 09-14-21, 07:43 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Either that is a horrible picture or that chainring is trashed.
Or he uses wax on his drivetrain.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 09-14-21, 08:34 AM
Fentuz

Originally Posted by tdilf
Or he uses wax on his drivetrain.
yes, excess wax after shakedown ride (I dipped the chain in warm squirt lub)... cleaned ans relubbed.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 09-20-21, 02:03 AM
Fentuz

I was looking for SRAM XG compatible cassette (10-46T) and Sunrace is out of stock everywhere... So 10-50T may be an option... but it would require a derailleur bodge or adding goat link.

But, while looking at things, I came across offset upper pulley like the kcnc, leonardi-racing-roldana. Wolftooth does something similar. To my understanding, these things go on a std cage and thanks to offset bushes (like camber adjusters on some car) the rotating center of the upper pulley is offset by "Xmm" . I am wondering if between this and the B screw adjustment (as I did to suit the 11-46T), could this be suitable enough for a 10-50T... adding another 3 to 5mm of upper pulley clearance? In theory, this could be a good inexpensive solution but can the pulley bush move around the mounting screw and go the wrong way causing interference (-3mm) instead of clearance (+3mm) or does the chain tension controlled by the bottom pulley make sure that it is always in clearance?