Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does this look worn to you?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does this look worn to you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 11:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Jim's freewheel is a tandem specific Suntour ProCompe or Perfect 5 speed, IIRC.

If sprockets are worn, I can easily replace them. However, the Spa is in hiatus. I retire from my church this coming Sunday, September 26th! I'm relocating the Spa to our new residence on the coast of GA during October. My hope is to have it reopened by the beginning of November.

In the meantime, Jim and Sharron will need to make do on the current freewheel.

Jim, did Sharron take the picture of you in the grass or did you selfie it with your timer? Do I spy a new camper or RV?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-20-21, 12:37 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Dreaming about riding in NH's summertime!
Summertime? I thought you folks in NH had different seasons, called June, July, August, and Winter. (smile)

Seriously - congrats on retirement. I think you'll enjoy the GA coast. Summer will be rather warmer than you're used to, though.
Old 09-20-21, 01:09 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
Summertime? I thought you folks in NH had different seasons, called June, July, August, and Winter. (smile)

Seriously - congrats on retirement. I think you'll enjoy the GA coast. Summer will be rather warmer than you're used to, though.
Summer will continue to be spent in the NH mountains!

Thank you for the well wishes!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-20-21, 01:56 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
True dat, but Dr. Jim is looking for what we see. If it was mine, this is one of the reasons I’d put her up on the stand and make a better measurement. I just did this on Mrs. Road Fan’s Campy triple, and the big ring is flush with the derailleur outer plate when the chain is on the middle ring.
well, i've never messed with campy derailleurs, so maybe there's a difference. however, the timing with this thread and topic is....timely. i just recently participated in a thread where the OP was dealing with a shifting issue and one possibility was the derailleur height. turns out it was fine, but the photo made it look otherwise
Old 09-21-21, 05:18 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
...I retire from my church this coming Sunday, September 26th!
Jim, did Sharron take the picture of you in the grass or did you selfie it with your timer? Do I spy a new camper or RV?
Cool! Enjoy your relaxation time!

The FW is fine. It was the first thing I examined closely because that's what often wears fastest, so says BF occasionally. But, as you would probably know (but would have no reason to remember), it is considerably newer than the rest of the components. Another factor is that we spend most of our time on the middle ring, a bit less on the big ring. The FW use is spread across three sprockets, with occasional use on the 4th and much less on the 5th. So any single sprocket gets less wear.

Yes, Sharon did take that pic. She sneaks up on me and takes pics whenever I'm fixing a bike. Then she insists on me posting one.

The thingy you spy is a travel trailer, a.k.a. camper, new last year, a Lance 1475, the smallest one they make. It is a fully self-contained dorm room on wheels! Kitchen with 3-burner stove, oven, microwave, fridge, sink, hot+cold running water, bathroom with full shower, sink, and toilet, queen size bunk, TV, built-in CD/DVD/radio, water heater/furnace, solar panel on roof to keep the battery charged. It's only limitation is that the three tanks are small, only 26 gal. We can be self-contained for a long weekend, but go out longer with hook-ups. Have been out several times, heading out again shortly.

I did not expect this thread to take these left turns, nor to go on this long.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 10-19-21, 04:21 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Well, I'm not afraid to admit I was in error. Several of you suggested that I might need a new FW after replacing a severely stretched chain. You were right. I had examined the FW but not critically enough, it would seem. My sweetie and I went out for a ride last weekend and the chain went skip-skip-skip, or rather, pedal pedal, skip, pedal, skip, pedal, pedal, skip, skip, pedal, skip, skip, etc. On closer examination it seems the 2nd largest sprocket was worn. The adjacent sprockets, which don't get quite as much use, were not and did not exhibit skipping.

So today I dug through my FW collection and found the tandem ProCompe which Pastor Bob had built for us a few years ago. I had never installed it because at that time it wasn't necessary, and on this tandem pulling the FW is LOTS of work. You have to remove the axle to remove the FW, which also means removing the drum brake and then repacking the bearings. You don't do all that unless you really have to. Anyway, a test run after I installed the new FW went just fine. We are happy.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 10-21-21, 06:27 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Likes For jimmuller: