Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

How do you convince people you love to use daytime running lights?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

How do you convince people you love to use daytime running lights?

Old 12-29-20, 11:15 AM
  #151  
Elbeinlaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 64 Posts
63ricket: Essentially what you're implying--and I think it needs to be said explicitly--is that the person with the lights is not adjusting their lights because its good form them, they're doing it for themselves, they're doing it for others. Which is to say: Be responsible enough to take the other guy into consideration.

That seems to be lost these days in all of the yelling about "MY RIGHTS".
Elbeinlaw is offline  
Likes For Elbeinlaw:
Old 12-29-20, 11:46 AM
  #152  
Helldorado
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA
Posts: 161

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
Some posters here claim they are just unaffected by flashing lights in their face. Maybe. Personally I doubt that it is is physiologically possible to just have no response to a flashing light. But to those who say it doesnít bother them, fine, I will believe you. Now will you please listen to those who say it does bother them? Because lots of us are more sensitive than you claim to be. On popular bike routes I pull over all the time because I canít see the road, just a sea of flash. This never happens to me for Mars lights, for flashing advertising signs, for large groups of traffic barriers with flashing lights, for multiple fire trucks, basically only happens with bike lights. For the brightest lights cars pull over and stop. Which is just not safe and happens all the time.

Most flashing lights, even the strong ones, are not strobes. When the flash has pattern, when the bike is running two, three, four patterned lights, when there is a group of riders running flashing lights, when there are multiple flashing red taillights directly in front as well as flashing white lights oncoming in the other lane, the distinction between strobe and flash is a distinction without a difference.

Locally 95% to 99% of bike lights are aimed up. Even those with the German lights that have beam patterns with a sharp horizontal cutoff aim them up.

I only wish bike lights topped out at 1000 lumens. When facing two riders abreast each running at least three lights above 1000 and all of them aimed up it is just like facing a big truck with brights on. Doesnít happen where you live? Lucky you.
It's a matter of perspective. When automobile drivers stop killing cyclists and then shrugging "Gee, I never saw him..." then cyclists will stop using bright flashing lights. Until then, flash on!
Helldorado is offline  
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 12-29-20, 11:58 AM
  #153  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,806
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado View Post
It's a matter of perspective. When automobile drivers stop killing cyclists and then shrugging "Gee, I never saw him..." then cyclists will stop using bright flashing lights. Until then, flash on!
What you just said is you donít care about any but yourself.

It is plain difficult to focus on a flashing light and determine if that light is near or far. Confronted by a sea of flashing lights a motorist is going to judge badly which visual detail matters. Your Ďflash oní makes us all unsafe. And you donít care.

This thread is defining solipsism.
63rickert is offline  
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 12-29-20, 12:03 PM
  #154  
cruiserhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In California, a flashing forward facing light and flashing rear light are legal and the cops will never, ever stop you for using them.
I use them all the time and the forward facing one is probably more useful, simply because people don't look for cyclists, only cars. Cagers see it when turning from a side street- they can be looking directly at you, and never see you or even in their mirrors so they don't cut you off. IMO, a flashing forward light is a great safety tool.

Nowadays, people are used to looking at DRL's all the time.
Rear lights are ok but my feeling is that if they are looking at their phone, doesn't matter if you have a 10k spotlight, they aren't looking. At all. But, maybe they will see it in their periphery and wake up.
I use both front and rear flashing lights. I think it helps quite a bit.
cruiserhead is offline  
Old 12-29-20, 12:39 PM
  #155  
Helldorado
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Tacoma, WA, USA
Posts: 161

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
What you just said is you donít care about any but yourself.

It is plain difficult to focus on a flashing light and determine if that light is near or far. Confronted by a sea of flashing lights a motorist is going to judge badly which visual detail matters. Your Ďflash oní makes us all unsafe. And you donít care.

This thread is defining solipsism.
Wrong. I never said that i don't care about others and you have insufficient evidence to come to that conclusion based on m y comments. But when it comes to life and limb, my life and limb trump not annoying or inconveniencing drivers with my flashing lights. The worst that will happen to them is that they will need to concentrate really hard on what's happening up ahead of them and maybe (rarely) slow down or pull over. Sort of what drivers are supposed to do when they see an emergency vehicle, right? Not that my bike is an emergency vehicle, but just to point out that slowing down and pulling over while driving is not some bizarre unheard-of thing. And what's the worst that can happen to me on my bike? I'm killed by an inattentive driver.

I work in a trauma center in a big city. Ambulances bring us cyclist (and pedestrians) injured by cars all of the time. At least one or two a day. Do you know what the prevailing attitude is among cops who come in to investigate the injury (as they often are required to do)? That the cyclist is to blame because A) they were not wearing a helmet, or B) because they were not wearing hi-viz clothing or running a light. In fact, these attitudes prevail (I am embarrassed to admit) even among my own colleagues, doctors and nurses who actually care for these injured people. The playing field out there is massively tilted in favor of the car driver, even to the point that we generally blame the victim. And BTW, I have yet to see an injury to a car driver inflicted by a cyclist or pedestrian. Never seen one in over twenty years.

How's that solipsism for ya?
Helldorado is offline  
Likes For Helldorado:
Old 12-29-20, 02:17 PM
  #156  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 7,006

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by lyf View Post
It can feel wimpy to have lights on all the time, so what have you found works for convincing people you love to get that added bump in safety? This can elicit strong emotions so that's why I'm trying to figure out softer ways to have this conversation and hopefully we might save some lives!
As a cyclist, you can't be TOO seen! That's my advice.
JoeyBike is offline  
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 12-29-20, 08:01 PM
  #157  
cruiserhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Don't worry yourself, he just wanted to use his word of the day

Originally Posted by Helldorado View Post
Wrong. I never said that i don't care about others and you have insufficient evidence to come to that conclusion based on m y comments. But when it comes to life and limb, my life and limb trump not annoying or inconveniencing drivers with my flashing lights. The worst that will happen to them is that they will need to concentrate really hard on what's happening up ahead of them and maybe (rarely) slow down or pull over. Sort of what drivers are supposed to do when they see an emergency vehicle, right? Not that my bike is an emergency vehicle, but just to point out that slowing down and pulling over while driving is not some bizarre unheard-of thing. And what's the worst that can happen to me on my bike? I'm killed by an inattentive driver.

I work in a trauma center in a big city. Ambulances bring us cyclist (and pedestrians) injured by cars all of the time. At least one or two a day. Do you know what the prevailing attitude is among cops who come in to investigate the injury (as they often are required to do)? That the cyclist is to blame because A) they were not wearing a helmet, or B) because they were not wearing hi-viz clothing or running a light. In fact, these attitudes prevail (I am embarrassed to admit) even among my own colleagues, doctors and nurses who actually care for these injured people. The playing field out there is massively tilted in favor of the car driver, even to the point that we generally blame the victim. And BTW, I have yet to see an injury to a car driver inflicted by a cyclist or pedestrian. Never seen one in over twenty years.

How's that solipsism for ya?
cruiserhead is offline  
Old 01-06-21, 10:18 PM
  #158  
redmandarin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
To me, it's like wearing a seatbelt. If they're and adult and don't want to do it, it's their life.
redmandarin is offline  
Old 01-11-21, 10:40 AM
  #159  
Flip Flop Rider
Senior Member
 
Flip Flop Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: South Carolina Upstate
Posts: 1,889

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 255 Posts
like everything else. provide incentives
Flip Flop Rider is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.