Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite electronic gadget?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

What's your favorite electronic gadget?

Old 09-28-21, 06:32 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
True. but in my experience the Edge touring barely makes it through the day in mapped navigation mode, which seems to be what others report. The claimed 12hrs applies if you display the data screen. The battery capacity is apparently 1 000 mAh. In comparison, the Enduro lasts 70+ hrs on a 550mAh, i.e. about 20 times more efficient. Which may not matter in many cases, but is a consideration for others. Recharging the computer and the external battery, every day, is no fun, and may pose problem if you do not have readily access to the power grid.
You're clearly a fan of the Garmin Enduro but it's an expensive option and watch sized, which is a drawback for many. Garmin can clearly make some power efficient units so it would be nice for them to put some effort into their non-watch cycling computers.
Old 09-29-21, 08:28 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Favourite gadget? Gotta say my Forerunner 735. Although not really a gadget, the watch does pretty much everything I want. Tracks rides, runs, sleep, etc. Only complaint is the battery can be a bit short, but that's a huge problem. Just means a charge once every five days or so depending on how many activities I'm doing with the GPS and the length of those activities.
Old 10-02-21, 05:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Tossup between my NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 headlight, and Drift Ghost X cameras front and rear. I'd consider both essential. The first generation Drift Ghost X cameras like mine came with 5-hour batteries that really lasted that long when new (after a couple of years regular use mine are down to around 3.5-4 hours per charge now). The current Drift cameras are offered with 8-hour batteries. Very tough, reliable, no-frills cameras, easy to use and excellent values. The Drift mounts could be better, but I've managed with 'em.

I've also used a XOSS G+ computer, a great low priced bike computer, for almost two years. But it's not essential. I get most of the same data from my phone app. But it's handy, small, light and lasts a long time between charges.
Old 10-04-21, 12:25 PM
Misak

Bikes: Cube Peloton, Specialized Rockhopper, Gocycle Gen2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its my Garmin 830 for sure..
Old 10-04-21, 01:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I'm really surprised everyone stayed with a bicycle related electronic gadget.

But I guess this is a bike forum!
Old 10-04-21, 11:01 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Varia Radar Taillight.

Best cycling tech of the last 5 years, hands down.
Old 10-29-21, 09:02 AM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts
My favorite gadget is a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt GPS computer. It came with 2 mounts and I just ordered a third mount for my mountain bike. I was previously using my Android phone with the MapMyRide app to keep track of my miles. The app took almost 2.5gb of storage space on my phone.while the Elemnt app uses 150mb. I was able to delete the MMR app because the Bolt sends the data to the Elemnt app on my phone immediately after my ride, and then when I get home to WiFi, the data gets uploaded to my MapMyRide account displayed on my laptop or tablet. No more need to have the MMR app taking up space on my phone.

The Elemnt app will upload to many third party platforms, including Strava. I tried Strava also, but I'd been using MMR much longer and prefer their interface over Strava.