Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Predictions about upcoming new bike tech

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Predictions about upcoming new bike tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 10:16 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
..... for a cleaner look. Vanity ....I don't think so.
That is the definition of vanity ---- thinking that how your stuff looks is very important. Doesn't make it wrong, doesn't make you wrong .... but "vanity" as it is being used in this thread could be perfectly described as "a cleaner look."

Good for you for having found what you seek and all .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-13-21, 10:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Seems to me the great divide is between "Problems looking for a solution" versus "Solutions looking for a problem." For example, flats are a real problem, so solve that and get me out the of the "pump it to xx psi" or "tubeless yada yada." Materials science moving faster than ever, pneumatic tires should be gone (yes, see NASA tire, maybe). Accidents with automobiles. Real problem. Bike doesn't fit that person properly, so can it recommend the proper adjustments itself? All things to ensure, or even preserve, a good experience. Motorized this/that, lighted this/that, minor storage? Solutions searching for a problem.

I think bicycle ABS would probably go into the looking for a problem category, but may be more useful in the ebike category as the weight of those vehicles increase.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 10:56 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
That is the definition of vanity ---- thinking that how your stuff looks is very important. Doesn't make it wrong, doesn't make you wrong .... but "vanity" as it is being used in this thread could be perfectly described as "a cleaner look."

Not that it really matters but the dictionary definition is as follows. Key word here is excessive. Vanity is typically viewed as a somewhat negative personality trait.

Vanity: .noun
1.excessive pride in or admiration of one's own appearance or achievements.
"it flattered his vanity to think I was in love with him"
Similar:
conceitedness, narcissism, self-love, self-admiration,, arrogance

2. the quality of being worthless or futile.
"the vanity of human wishes"

I eschew under saddle bags because don't they work for me first and I like the way a bike looks without them second. Personal preference sure.....vanity ...not the way I understand it.

Vanity would be going without an under saddle bag even though one would be very useful to me because I didn't like the way they look. In the meantime my bike looks super slick while I am wearing a floppy rain jacket and riding in mismatched gear, a t-shirt or sleeveless jersey/tank top and maybe in a pair of hiking boots if I am using my platform equipped bike. Not really vanity material !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 10-13-21, 11:15 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ example: personalized auto license plates.

Explanation for those drivers: nobody cares what you think, where you went to school, or most emphatically, the make and model of the car in which you're driving.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 10-13-21, 12:38 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

By definition- vanity describes an excessive personality trait. If your response to someone saying they desire a cleaner look is to use the word vanity, you are telling them that this desire is excessive.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

Explanation for those drivers: nobody cares what you think, where you went to school, or most emphatically, the make and model of the car in which you're driving.
Around here, those are generally called "vanity plates". They are definitely excessive.
Old 10-13-21, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

I liked the one I would see in SF all the time: 4NICK8
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 12:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Hey, folks .... this is BF. If you start taking this stuff too seriously .... take a break, take a bike ride, reconnect with what is real.

This place is a pernicious drug. Don't let it use you ...
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-13-21, 01:39 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I disagree mostly because 10 years is a very long time in terms of emerging technology, and ABS seems like low hanging fruit and I don't think manufacturers will give customers much of a choice on it. Yes, at first it'll be an optional feature on high-end groupsets like Dura Ace and Ultegra, but I think it'll pretty quickly become a standard feature of brake components and just something that is built-in throughout the lineup.

I can see this type of tech following the same path as electronic shifting and disc brakes. Di2 was first released in 2009 (and plenty of people decried it as unnecessary, gimmicky, a solution to a problem that didn't exist, etc), and 12 years later Shimano released a new Ultegra groupset that is exclusively electronic.

A similar path is currently happening with road discs. It's only been 5 years since Shimano started selling a disc road groupset, yet in 2021 discs are nearly universal on new road bikes. Sure, they included a rim brake option for their latest Ultegra groupset, but that is mostly to allow people to upgrade older bikes. You won't find many (any) new bike builds spec'd with rim brake Ultegra or Dura Ace.
Here are more expanded thoughs on why I am not betting on ABS being ubiquitous in 10 years.

ABS is a far, far more involved mechanism than disc brakes or e-shifting.

Also, I question the demand there will be for ABS.

I am pretty sure the MTB world would largely reject it (I would certainly not want it)

And as far as road riding, I think it is ultimately a hard sell. I think ABS is rather different than electronic shifting or disc brakes For the following reason: whether or not someone finds the extra expense and or weight of the latter two to to be worth it, you do notice the difference of either during normal use. With ABS, One could go years at a time without ever noticing them doing anything.

if ABS ever does get off the ground, I see the most likely use for it to be on heavier electric utility bikes.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-13-21 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-13-21, 02:12 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Kapusta
if ABS ever does get off the ground, I see the most likely use for it to be on heavier electric utility bikes.
Dude .... FAIL!!!

You are using logic.

No, once john and Joan Couchpilot get their new e-bikes with hydro discs---or maybe their Walmart Specials with hydro discs and reversed forks---and crash hard because they constantly lock up the front brake ..... ABS will be an easy sell.
Old 10-13-21, 02:21 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Hey, folks .... this is BF. If you start taking this stuff too seriously .... take a break, take a bike ride, reconnect with what is real.

I found that out quickly !!! I work really hard to not be offended and am not vain enough to be by your post on vanity !! <---- See what I did there
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 10-13-21, 02:25 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Adjust bike tire pressure on the fly
Old 10-13-21, 02:28 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by cubewheels
Because it can only be best implemented in a square, rectangular or D-shaped downtube, particularly of carbon fiber material.

Difficult or impossible / dangerous to implement in round or skinny aerodynamic downtubes. Difficult to implement on metal frames.

By these factors, the market segment where this feature can be practically implemented is very small.
I think it's a pretty cool feature on my Domane. The items I carry in it could easily fit in my pack but..... It is a cool concept and the bits bag allows a flat kit/tool to be easily carried so that is a plus It is pretty well executed in its design as well. . What it has allowed me to do is carry stuff for my skinny tire tubed bike in my backpack as I always did and a larger tube in the compartment with an inflator set up and tire levers for an emergency tube install on my tubeless set up should I need it.. That alone makes it a plus in my book but not exactly a selling point if you know what I mean.
Old 10-13-21, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hey, there's an idea--a bike frame with a drug dispenser.

Last edited by livedarklions; 10-13-21 at 02:38 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Riveting

Who puts bike tires on flies?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-13-21, 02:41 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Interesting example. I agree that a basic hammer is awesome in its simplicity - unchanged for hundreds of years. On most job sites today, the hammer has been largely replaced by a pneumatic nailer (that probably has a built in LED light).
But some may say "Nice invention, but then what do they use in lieu of a hammer claw to remove a nail? I've yet to see a pneumatic nail remover." , Oh wait...
Likes For Riveting:
Old 10-13-21, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Did they ever actually market any?
Old 10-13-21, 02:45 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Here are more expanded thoughs on why I am not betting on ABS being ubiquitous in 10 years.

ABS is a far, far more involved mechanism than disc brakes or e-shifting.

Also, I question the demand there will be for ABS.

I am pretty sure the MTB world would largely reject it (I would certainly not want it)

And as far as road riding, I think it is ultimately a hard sell. I think ABS is rather different than electronic shifting or disc brakes For the following reason: whether or not someone finds the extra expense and or weight of the latter two to to be worth it, you do notice the difference of either during normal use. With ABS, One could go years at a time without ever noticing them doing anything.

I definitely agree that e-bikes will be the development platform for this, particularly e-cargo bikes. Motorcycle ABS is still not universal, but is increasingly common. On motorcycles there is a central ABS control unit plus wheel speed sensors, all of which also require electrical power and add weight, though the size and weight of these components has come way down in recent years. It seems reasonable to think that this tech might jump to e-bikes and eventually traditional bikes.
Old 10-13-21, 02:46 PM
Riveting

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Who puts bike tires on flies?
What do you call a fly on a bike?.....A roll.

What do you call a fly with no wings?....A walk.
Old 10-13-21, 02:49 PM
Riveting

Did they ever actually market any?
Not sure, but here's another.

And I recall another product that used a special cavity of the rim to store pressurized air (like a built-in CO2 cartridge) that you could then release at will into the tubeless tire cavity.
Old 10-13-21, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

So the big trend I would expect is that ebikes and human-powered bike will resemble each other less and less. Weight savings really don't matter much if the motors are getting stronger, so expect more utilitarian aspects to ebikes, greater emphasis on carrying capacity, frames that look less and less like pedaled bikes and more like small motorcycles. A really big percentage of the ebikes I'm seeing in the wild are fat tires, being ridden up hills no one would ever pedal-power such big tires. This just seems like a first step in an evolutionary divergence to me.
Old 10-13-21, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What do you call a fly on a bike?.....A roll.

What do you call a fly with no wings?....A walk.
What do you call a fly with no wings?....A zipper
Old 10-13-21, 03:49 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Seems to me the great divide is between "Problems looking for a solution" versus "Solutions looking for a problem." For example, flats are a real problem, so solve that and get me out the of the "pump it to xx psi" or "tubeless yada yada." Materials science moving faster than ever, pneumatic tires should be gone (yes, see NASA tire, maybe). Accidents with automobiles. Real problem. Bike doesn't fit that person properly, so can it recommend the proper adjustments itself? All things to ensure, or even preserve, a good experience. Motorized this/that, lighted this/that, minor storage? Solutions searching for a problem.
It's interesting to go back and read reviews of emerging tech years later. In 2009 when Shimano released Dura Ace Di2, James Huang wrote about it in Bike Radar. His review starts out with:

“A solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.” “Unnecessary.” “A marketing gimmick.” Those are lines offered time and again by armchair critics of Shimano’s new Dura-Ace Di2 electronic drivetrain https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...ission-review/

Electronic shifting is totally unnecessary and didn't solve anything. It's also really cool and works amazingly well. People have been shifting gears just fine for decades without motors, but now in 2021 electronic shifting occupies a major chunk of the high-end groupset market, and the two highest end groupsets from Shimano have completely ditched mechanical shifting altogether. The revolution only took 12 years.

A similar argument could be made for GPS units. Who needs em? Just ride and if you get lost, stop and ask for directions or bring a map. You don't need power output, cadence or percent grade to ride a bike, right?

The point of this thread, as I understand it, is to discuss/predict what new technology will emerge and become commonplace on bikes in 10 years. It's likely that much of the bike tech that evolves over the next decade is not actually solving problems.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-13-21, 04:57 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
How about electronic shift components that are programmable to index any cog spacing? One derailleur/shifter for 6,7,8,9,10,11,12, etc.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-13-21, 11:28 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
That is a fun fact! Care to explain? How do you have multiple gears without being geared?
Gearing linkages of greater complexity than a crankset strapped to a wheel existed before the safety bicycle.
Old 10-14-21, 07:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's interesting to go back and read reviews of emerging tech years later. In 2009 when Shimano released Dura Ace Di2, James Huang wrote about it in Bike Radar. His review starts out with:

“A solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.” “Unnecessary.” “A marketing gimmick.” Those are lines offered time and again by armchair critics of Shimano’s new Dura-Ace Di2 electronic drivetrain https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/co...ission-review/

Electronic shifting is totally unnecessary and didn't solve anything. It's also really cool and works amazingly well. People have been shifting gears just fine for decades without motors, but now in 2021 electronic shifting occupies a major chunk of the high-end groupset market, and the two highest end groupsets from Shimano have completely ditched mechanical shifting altogether. The revolution only took 12 years.

A similar argument could be made for GPS units. Who needs em? Just ride and if you get lost, stop and ask for directions or bring a map. You don't need power output, cadence or percent grade to ride a bike, right?

The point of this thread, as I understand it, is to discuss/predict what new technology will emerge and become commonplace on bikes in 10 years. It's likely that much of the bike tech that evolves over the next decade is not actually solving problems.

OK, now do all of the supposedly emerging tech that really went nowhere over the years. Automatic shifting, shaft drives, and solid tires, to name a few.

I don't know anyone who poo-pooed the idea of GPS, the problem there wasn't the perception of usefulness, just the lack of understanding that implementing it on small, inexpensive portable devices would soon become possible.

There's marketing to solve a problem, but there's also better mousetrap solutions--Di2 is a better mousetrap, a better solution to a problem that's already been solved. What's been happening is the cost of the electronics have been dropping sufficiently to make this refinement appealing to a wider number of consumers.

The "solution in search of a problem" discussion on this thread seems primarily directed at ABS, and I think it's apt in that particular case. ABS is designed to prevent a type of uncontrolled skid that just doesn't likely happen on a human-powered bike. It's not a sexy feature like Di2 where there's instant feedback on how much of a difference it makes.

If I was going to point to a tech that I really have been caught by surprise on, it's disc brakes on road bikes. I still don't get that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.