Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roval CL50 - Discoloration - Not on Brake Track

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-30-21, 09:42 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

So I purchased a new set of CL50 carbon wheels exactly a year ago. LOVE Them! Just noticed the other day while cleaning that the wheels have some discoloration and it is not around the brake track (Rim Brakes). Has anyone noticed or had similar issues. The wheels seem solid and fine other than the discoloration. I emailed Specialized and Roval but have not heard back yet. I read about someone with HUNT Carbon wheels had something similar and they were told it was because of the process and resin used in making them. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 10-31-21, 06:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I would contact your LBS and have them get an answer from Specialized; they've built their distribution and support with dealers at the front line, so trying to contact them directly may not be terribly effective.
Old 10-31-21, 09:29 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Resin does yellow like that; it looks like they didn't sand that all the way down to carbon at that seam for some reason. I have to say it looks pretty sloppy given all the $$ those wheels cost. I have some one-year-old CLX50s and they have a seam in the same spot but no resin.
Old 11-06-21, 02:05 PM
beeballman
beeballman

So Bike shop mechanics all checked it out, One of which has the same wheels. They deemed them safe, just minor cosmetic from resin , his wheels have the same thing. Actually its hard to see most of the time, light has to hit it just right. since they were deemed safe to ride, its ride I will. Jut will keep an eye on them to see if it worsens or not. They manufacturer (Roval) said that some times extreme heat could cause it, like transporting bike on a rack where the exhaust exits near the bike wheels. They told me to take it to a specialized dealer to have them checked , which is what I did. So as far as everyone is concerned they are good to go.
Old 11-07-21, 09:49 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by beeballman
So Bike shop mechanics all checked it out, One of which has the same wheels. They deemed them safe, just minor cosmetic from resin , his wheels have the same thing. Actually its hard to see most of the time, light has to hit it just right. since they were deemed safe to ride, its ride I will. Jut will keep an eye on them to see if it worsens or not. They manufacturer (Roval) said that some times extreme heat could cause it, like transporting bike on a rack where the exhaust exits near the bike wheels. They told me to take it to a specialized dealer to have them checked , which is what I did. So as far as everyone is concerned they are good to go.
I'm sure they're probably fine, but an issue like this you might think the opinion of some kind materials engineer should be sought, maybe not a wrench at the local LBS? Were the wheels in fact ever subjected to an extreme heat environment that you're aware of?
Old 11-07-21, 10:26 AM
beeballman
beeballman

I have confidence in what they say, they are an authorized specialized and Roval dealer which is where Roval wanted me to have them checked. I will keep an eye on them, they are warranted for life so i am not too worried.
Old 11-07-21, 04:12 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I agree, just cosmetic. Ride on!
Old 11-11-21, 02:16 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
The clear coat and/or resin on carbon fiber automotive parts (e.g. hoods, spoilers/wings, etc.) yellow/haze just like this too. It's just cosmetic wear from UV and oxidation until it's completely eroded and the underlying carbon is exposed (which is a looooong way to go).
Likes For mikeymichaels:
Old 11-11-21, 06:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeymichaels
The clear coat and/or resin on carbon fiber automotive parts (e.g. hoods, spoilers/wings, etc.) yellow/haze just like this too. It's just cosmetic wear from UV and oxidation until it's completely eroded and the underlying carbon is exposed (which is a looooong way to go).
Sounds probable, but why aren't there a lot more frequent posts about how people's CF wheels are turning yellow?
Old 11-11-21, 11:16 AM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds probable, but why aren't there a lot more frequent posts about how people's CF wheels are turning yellow?
You make a good point
Old 11-13-21, 01:56 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
Resin does yellow like that; it looks like they didn't sand that all the way down to carbon at that seam for some reason.
The exterior surface of carbon rims doesn't ever get sanded; that's the finish from the mould. What we're seeing here looks like pretty poor compaction to me - there's the edge of a ply, and the ply coming out from under it hasn't been pushed hard enough against the mould for all that resin to go away.

Looks pretty shoddy to me