Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

MTB after Reverse Shoulder surgery

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 05:35 PM
Toolless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone have this surgery and was able to MTB ride again?
Old 12-27-21, 06:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
What does the doctor say? I had tendon transplant surgery in my shoulder and it doesn't affect my meager mtb skills.
Seems to me if you have good range of motion and even moderate strength you should be able to muscle the handle bar around.
Old 12-28-21, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I don't know anyone that has had that type replacement. However I'd think like most everything else it's going to depend on your determination to strengthen and keep your muscles strong, especially in that area. So do the PT that I expect will be part of the recovery. And then pay extra attention to keeping those muscles in shape if regular overall exercise isn't your thing..
Old 12-28-21, 03:20 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Toolless
Anyone have this surgery and was able to MTB ride again?
In 2016 at 66yo I had my shoulder replaced but not a reverse. Having done some research my impression is that a reverse would be a bit more difficult and require more time for rehabilitation. Follow the instructions given to you for rehab and all should go well.

My shoulder was replaced on a Monday, sling was off on Tuesday 24 hours later, I was given instructions as to movements allowed and also given permission to ride my bike on Wednesday but I gave it 1 more day then went out on Thursday for a Celebratory Ride.

GOOD LUCK and don't rush things
Old 01-01-22, 05:38 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I've never heard of "reverse shoulder surgery." Sounds like it gets put back together backwards. What is it?

I tell you, this getting older thing is not for the timid.....

J.
Old 01-01-22, 08:54 PM
2wheels4ever

Bikes: '83 Trek 600, '01 Tour Easy recumbent, '07 Rans Screamer tandem, '20 Trek Verve 2, '21 Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
In 2016 at 66yo I had my shoulder replaced but not a reverse. Having done some research my impression is that a reverse would be a bit more difficult and require more time for rehabilitation. Follow the instructions given to you for rehab and all should go well.

My shoulder was replaced on a Monday, sling was off on Tuesday 24 hours later, I was given instructions as to movements allowed and also given permission to ride my bike on Wednesday but I gave it 1 more day then went out on Thursday for a Celebratory Ride.

GOOD LUCK and don't rush things
Wow, Guy! I can’t believe you were allowed to ride again so quickly. I, too, had a total replacement 2 years ago. Like you I had surgery on a Monday. My sling came off Wednesday when I had my first physical therapy session. My surgeon, who is also a cyclist, said to stay off the bike for at least a month. I stayed off my DF bikes until then but I did sneak a ride or two on my recumbent!