Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride a De Rosa Protos?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-17-21, 05:34 PM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I can get a De Rosa Protos (made in Italy if that matters) direct mount rim brake with campy eps for the same price as an S-Works Tarmac disc. Anyone ride a Protos? Very few reviews out there, and I can't ride it until it's built and paid for.
Old 07-17-21, 06:09 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
How bad could it be?

I'd look at it this way - you get to do the full Italiano wank without any of the me-tooism you'd be tainted with on a Pinarello. I like De Rosas, they're pretty cool. Couldn't tell you squat about the Protos, though.

But direct mount rim instead of disc, that's also pretty damn cool and not me-too at all. Wish my rim brakes were direct mount, at least the front.

...Hmmm...
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-18-21, 08:22 PM
canuckjgc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I was thinking the same thing but I do wonder if the big bike companies now have the resources, engineering, manufacturing etc to just build better bikes than the De Rosa's of the world...
Old 07-18-21, 09:01 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckjgc
I was thinking the same thing but I do wonder if the big bike companies now have the resources, engineering, manufacturing etc to just build better bikes than the De Rosa's of the world...
I wouldn't overthink it. Even the most sophisticated bicycle one can buy is trivial when compared to a cell phone or a car. I doubt there are any real trade secrets in bike making.
Likes For sced:
Old 07-19-21, 02:55 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

If you want the best bike, it's probably a Giant with Shimano, right? Those two companies probably have more engineers than half the rest of the industry.
Old 07-19-21, 08:31 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
What about the other components offered on each? Are they the same?
Old 07-19-21, 08:55 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
They look nice.PROTOS 2.0 MUD – De Rosa North America
Old 07-19-21, 10:58 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
For me, DeRosa > Specialized, because it's Italian. (Not just the name on a Taiwanese frame, but actually made in the mother country.)

The Tarmac is a pervasive, ordinary offering from Big S, one of millions produced every year.

Spesh certainly has their consistency and QC dialed in better, but that's not so say the DeRosa/Campy build will have problems, just that it's more likely to.

DeRosa has a heart in their name! Do you see a heart anywhere on the Tarmac? As others have sometimes noted, when is the last time you saw someone with a Shimano tattoo?

We could also look at the model names. Protos is Greek for "first." Tarmac means pavement. (More specifically, it's short for tarmacadam, the British term for a type of pavement called "asphalt" in the U.S.)

While I would much rather drive a Ferrari or Alfa Romeo, I’d prefer to own a Toyota or Mazda. But that's because I need reliable transportation. I don't need bikes; I want them.

Last edited by Broctoon; 07-21-21 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-19-21, 11:02 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Deleted. (Duplicate post)
Old 07-20-21, 06:13 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Broctoon
As others have sometimes noted, when is the last time you saw someone with a Shimano tattoo?
You know how some folks get wings on their back? I had an idea, kinda ripping off the Campy logo, to have aerospace-looking folded wings, 'secured' with QRs, to signify the bionic freedom of cycling... The QRs would be branded Dura-Ace.
Likes For Kimmo: