Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Custom rear sprocket cluster for 1972 Schwinn Continental. Is it possible?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-02-22, 07:56 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts

Hello everybody. This is my first post. I just joined up a few minutes ago. I have a 1972 Schwinn Continental 10 speed and I was wondering if it's possible to get a rear cluster for it with 13,16,20,26,39 teeth. I dont know what thread to look for or what kind of chain I have to specify or even where to look for someone to make me such a part? I wouldnt think it would be a stock part. Why? I just have some gear ratios in mind I would like to experiment with and this is the rear sprocket I need. The bike is totally stock. Thanks

Last edited by BikePower; 01-02-22 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-02-22, 08:48 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums. There are a few people in Classic&Vintage who build custom freewheels, but that 39T cog might be hard to find.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 01-02-22, 09:04 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Welcome to BikeForums. There are a few people in Classic&Vintage who build custom freewheels, but that 39T cog might be hard to find.
Thanks Scott. Ya thats what I was afraid of. I guess Ill go over to that forum and ask around.
Old 01-03-22, 07:59 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,380 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
Thanks Scott. Ya thats what I was afraid of. I guess Ill go over to that forum and ask around.
Thread moved from Alt Bikes to Classic & Vintage.

Old 01-03-22, 08:08 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Of the period, the largest freewheel cog I was aware of was a 34t found on some Suntour perfect freewheels- 32 being most common wide range low.
Regina made a 31.

the way the Continental is set up in front it is going to be a tough search for a smaller inner chainring in front.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-03-22, 08:25 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Welcome (from another BF newb) and hurray for your Continental! I've mostly wrench on early 70s 10 speeds, and IMO, you'll need to change at least the rear derailleur, more likely a significant portion of your drivetrain. For example, a RD that can hump a 39 tooth rear may require a new shifter, etc.

But this a good thing. You get a better functioning bike that has improved gear ratios.

Have you looked at changing the crankset to a compact 50-34 in a gear calculator? I'm guessing it's cheaper-easier than a custom freewheel and RD, even counting the bottom bracket adapter.

Gear Calculator
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Last edited by BTinNYC; 01-03-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-03-22, 08:44 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Your Continental has a freewheel hub, not a modern freehub/cassette system. The largest freewheel sprocket I'm aware of is 38T on a SunTour "Alpine" 5-sprocket freewheel. These are not common anymore. 34T clusters are more common, some are still in production. Otherwise, a new rear wheel with a freehub/cassette system could get the gearing you want, but you'll likely need to spread the frame to fit such a wheel. Regardless of which route you choose, you'll want a new chain to go with a new cluster, and it is likely you'll need a new, longer-cage rear derailleur to handle the larger gear spread.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-03-22, 08:48 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts
A vintge 39T sprocket does not exist, as best I know.

Suntour offered a 14-38 five speed freewheel, but you will need a RD that can handle the big sprocket. Suntour three pulley model RDs and Sachs Huret Eco Duopar RD will work. Possibly a few other Suntour RD models.

Welcome to BF and C&V.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-03-22, 12:43 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Thanks everyone for helping with my project. I havent used the calculator I just did it on paper. I figure 52 chain ring and 13 rear cog gives me 4:1 on the high end for my overdrive gear and 39 ring on 39 rear cog gives me 1:1 which can be my granny gear. Then my main gears for most riding would be the 39 ring gear and the 4 smallest cogs, 26, 20,16,13 giving me 1.5, 1.95, 2.44, and 3.0.

The 52 ring gear gives me 1.33, 2, 2.6, 3.25 and 4 to 1 respectively. Im looking for basicall 1:1 to 4:1 capability on a 2 ring crank. I would like to try the stock RD if its unknown if it would work or not. If you are sure it wont work, Im fine with getting a different RD but I would definitely want to keep the factory Twin Stick Schwinn shifter.

Is it possible to have a freewheel made to my specifications or no because its not a cassette? So if this wont work, then my ultimate 5 speed plan definitely wont work. This one calls for a 44/11 freewheel. 44,32,22,16,11 for 1, 1.39, 1.95, 2.78, 4 and just use the middle three for normal ridiing. Basically a 3 speed with granny gear and overdrive gear. That would be cool on a stock 5 speed bike like a Suburban with a chain guard and fenders. A dad bike with trick gears!

Last edited by BikePower; 01-03-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-03-22, 02:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
Most Schwinn Continentals I come across are already set up at the rear hub near-ready to fit a better six-speed freewheel on a 126mm hub, or better yet a 126mm, 7s freehub. The stock 5s freewheels having a small chain-catcher ring are already near 6s width!

Most 10s cassettes can be made to fit onto earlier 126mm, 7s freehubs (with at least the 13 through ~40t part of such a cassette being a sure thing, with room to spare).

Spreading a Continental's frame to modern 130mm is particularly easy due to the softer steel used, and offers the chance to then use huge 10s and 11s cassettes.

The Ashtabula Crankset can be fitted with a 110mm or even 110/74mm chainring spider (the very best of which was Tioga-branded and made of cast aluminum).

So there are many ways to skin this cat, to achieve the gearing range you need.

700c rims should work with your existing brake calipers and will lower the Schwinn "Varsinental"s excessively-high bottom bracket height.
This opens up an entire new world of gearing and tire fitment, with much better performing tires and much lighter wheel weight.
Likes For dddd:
Old 01-03-22, 02:55 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to C&V world, interesting project you are undertaking. I’ll offer a few things, most of the snags have been well addressed by the sages😉👍.

The stock Continental rear derailleur won’t handle a 39T cog, if one even existed. As said above, a Suntour VGT or similar long cage model would be the most widely available item. I think the idea of a mountain bike unit would be most likely to produce a working setup. A Huret long cage, (or the Schwinn Approved version,) is a possibility with about a 34T limit.

A Schwinn Super Sport freewheel, with the 32T big cog, that came stock would be about as close as you’d come. Again, an early mountain bike freewheel could give you more choices. I have the Schwinn Super Sport stock 32T freewheel for a restotation build, check eBay, and the For Sale sub forum, at the top of this forum page.

Best wishes on gathering the parts you need. Others here will offer up more knowledge and ideas, lots of good folks in this forum.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-03-22 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-03-22, 03:01 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Paper
Spacers
Old 01-03-22, 07:07 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Paper
Spacers
Seriously--- ?What are you talking about?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BikePower this evening I noticed you are in Florida. While there are a few hills here and there in Florida, especially where qcpmsame resides, they are about as numerous as palm trees are in New Hampshire.

Currently I'm on the Coast of GA about 60 miles north of Jacksonville where it is also very flat. Generally speaking, I'm utilizing two of my rear sprockets shifting only due to the wind direction, or when stopping, at which time I down shift from my 50T chainring to my 42T chainring. 95% of time I ride on my 50T.

My bike is a highly modified '71 Schwinn Super Sport, which is only a wee bit less heavy than the Continental. Also, I'm a big guy at 220lbs.

I'm actually considering swapping my current narrow spaced 6 speed freewheel (which is now 13-32) to something like 15-17-19-21-24-26, just so I can shift more. Even with the change I'll probably use the 19 and 21 the most and occasionally the 17 and 24 depending on the wind direction and speed. The 15 and 26 will see very little use.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-03-22, 09:25 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Seriously--- ?What are you talking about?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BikePower this evening I noticed you are in Florida. While there are a few hills here and there in Florida, especially where qcpmsame resides, they are about as numerous as palm trees are in New Hampshire.

Currently I'm on the Coast of GA about 60 miles north of Jacksonville where it is also very flat. Generally speaking, I'm utilizing two of my rear sprockets shifting only due to the wind direction, or when stopping, at which time I down shift from my 50T chainring to my 42T chainring. 95% of time I ride on my 50T.

My bike is a highly modified '71 Schwinn Super Sport, which is only a wee bit less heavy than the Continental. Also, I'm a big guy at 220lbs.

I'm actually considering swapping my current narrow spaced 6 speed freewheel (which is now 13-32) to something like 15-17-19-21-24-26, just so I can shift more. Even with the change I'll probably use the 19 and 21 the most and occasionally the 17 and 24 depending on the wind direction and speed. The 15 and 26 will see very little use.
Thanks Pastor Bob. Its true not many hills here but we have bridges, many of which have pretty steep inclines. Also we get quite a bit of wind especially around said bridges. Overall I have little use for a granny gear under normal conditions but I want to have it for the cool factor and just to have the capability instead of just wasting the cog on a gear ratio that is not noticeably different than the previous gear. Just please let me do this just once Bob. Just stand with me this one time and help me bring my vision to reality. Thanks
Old 01-03-22, 09:30 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Thank you everyone for helping this newb out. Ok so if I cant go bigger with the freewheel without changing wheels and RD, maybe I can go smaller with the ring gear. Currently I have a 39 and 52 ring gear. Can I replace the 39 with a 32 on my stock crank? Then I could find the 32 big cog super sport freewheel and I would have 1 to 1 capability for my low gear. If it has a 13 for the small cog then I can get 4 to 1 with my 52 ring gear! and keep my stock front and RD? Is this possible? Thanks.
Old 01-03-22, 09:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
https://www.jaxbicycles.com/product/...yABEgL7XfD_BwE

I found this, But I am not sure of the Bolt Center Diameter that it shows in the image, referencing will need to be done. I doubt that it will pair with the 52 big ring you have, maybe a 46? 48?
Old 01-03-22, 10:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Is it possible to have a freewheel made to my specifications or no because its not a cassette? So if this wont work, then my ultimate 5 speed plan definitely wont work. This one calls for a 44/11 freewheel. 44,32,22,16,11 for 1, 1.39, 1.95, 2.78, 4 and just use the middle three for normal ridiing.
No, I'm not aware of any freewheel that offers an 11 tooth small sprocket. 12T is the smallest I've seen. Nor am I aware of any freewheel with larger than 38T large sprocket. To get what you want, you'' need to buy a new rear wheel with a freehub mechanism, and likely spread your frame to accept a wider spacing for the rear hub.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-03-22, 10:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

if I cant go bigger with the freewheel without changing wheels and RD, maybe I can go smaller with the ring gear. Currently I have a 39 and 52 ring gear. Can I replace the 39 with a 32 on my stock crank? Then I could find the 32 big cog super sport freewheel and I would have 1 to 1 capability for my low gear.
The Continental frame uses an Ashtabula one-piece crank. You will need to use a converter to mount a square-taper 3-piece crank to get the gearing you desire.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-04-22, 07:24 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Thanks Pastor Bob. Its true not many hills here but we have bridges, many of which have pretty steep inclines. Also we get quite a bit of wind especially around said bridges. Overall I have little use for a granny gear under normal conditions but I want to have it for the cool factor and just to have the capability instead of just wasting the cog on a gear ratio that is not noticeably different than the previous gear. Just please let me do this just once Bob. Just stand with me this one time and help me bring my vision to reality. Thanks
Okay, I do understand building something the way YOU want it to be. I've done the same plenty of times, for instance my Cannondale that has 81 speeds (long story that has been posted in other threads).

I can easily build you a 5 speed Suntour Perfect or ProCompe which begins with a 14T and ends with a 34T. That's the widest I can go. You can pick the three sprockets in the middle with basically the only limitations being:
  1. The 2nd Smallest must be 15T, 16T, 17T, or 18T (these are threaded and limited in Tooth size)
  2. The 2nd Largest must be 28T, 30T, or 32T (after the 27T, Suntour did not make odd numbered sprockets). Any of these three could also be the largest sprocket.

Not exactly what you are after, but as close as I can come. The Perfect and ProCompe models are the best to customize in the way you are after.

The advice above from repechage and JohnDThompson about your crank and chainrings is spot on. If you go with a 34T freewheel sprocket and a 32T chainring, again you will need a different RD. However, by not using the 38T (which is a rare find, none are on ebay at the moment), most any long cage vintage RD should work.

Let me know if I can assist with the 5 speed Perfect or ProCompe.

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-08-22, 02:56 AM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Bike Power: You Don't Need to Specifically Seek a Super Sport's freewheel BECAUSE the FIVE SPEED SUBURBAN (1970 -1976 model years) and the (1970-1977) FIVE SPEED COLLEGIATE do have the same number of teeth on each of the five cogs on the freewheel as the SUPER SPORT does!!

1971 Schwinn SUPER SPORT has 52/39 one piece crank exactly like VARSITY & CONTINENTAL of late sixties&seventies ,and the 10speed SUBURBAN(1970-1976).
******Note: the 10 speed SUBURBAN is essentially a Tourist CONTINENTAL / VARSITY. The tourist VARSITY was discontinued after 1969. The SUBURBAN was introduced in 1970. Initially there were three distinct SUBURBAN varieties in 1970 ( a 3 speed model, a 5 speed model, and the 10 speed model)
----------the 3 speed SUBURBAN did not continue into 1972.
The 10 speed SUBURBAN has the same exact gearing as the Continental & Varsity does......52/39 in front and Model F freewheel of 28-24-20-16-14 and the Huret Allvit Schwinn Approved rear derailleur unless the factory production line was out of Allvits, and if that happened, the far superior Shimano built GT-100 from the 5 speed '70-early'74 FIVE Speed Suburbans & Five speed Collegiates of '70-early '74. From 1974 on, the factory would substitute the also far superior to the Allvit, using Shimano's GT-120 which was factory equipment on the 1974 on FIVE SPEED Suburbans & Collegiates BEFORE the FFS arrived on those bikes in the late seventies.

What the heck is Vintage Schwinn saying??? :
The Model J freewheel found on ALL 1970 thru 1976 SUBURBAN 5 speeds and on ALL 1970 thru 1977 COLLEGIATE 5 speeds
is 32-26-21-17-14 which is the same gearing that is found on the SUPER SPORT......yeah the SEVENTIES era Collegiate & 5 Speed SUBURBAN have the same gearing on the freewheel as the Super Sport.
The Model J freewheel is superior in design and quality to the Model F freewheel fitted to late sixties & seventies CONTINENTAL/VARSITY and 1964-1969 Collegiate 5 sp.
The Suburban 10 speed has the Model F that the CONTINENTAL/VARSITY and 1964-1969 Collegiate have. The Suburban introduced in 1970 is essentially what was the previous Varsity tourist EXCEPT that SUBURBANS have the lighter weight tubular front fork from the Continental, but the L.S. 2.4 Weinmann side pull brakes of the Varsity. As you know, the VARSITY & COLLEGIATE have the forged Ashtabula blade front fork. Collegiate has 597mm(26") wheels with longer reach L.S. 2.8 Weinmann side pull brakes. VARSITY, SUBURBANS, & CONTINENTAL have 630mm(27") wheels.

ONLY the 5 speed SUBURBAN and the 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATE have this freewheel which has the same gear cogs as the 1971 SUPER SPORT does. My recollection is that all the other bike-boom year model SUPER SPORTS are the same as the '71 Super Sport.
The VARSITY, The 10sp SUBURBAN, the CONTINENTAL, or the 1964-1969 COLLEGIATE models DO NOT HAVE this 32-14 freewheel gearing!!!

The MODEL J freewheel featured a then revolutionary improved seal, patentened by Shimano, which was better in seal design than anything by any manufacturer that preceeded it when it appeared in Schwinn's 1970 model line-up on the COLLEGIATE & 5 speed SUBURBAN.

Don't try to shift this 32-14 (32-26-21-17-14) with the ordinary Allvit from the Varsity or Continental because it won't. Any GT-100 or GT-120 found on seventies era Collegiates and 5 speed Suburbans will work fine..........as I mentioned, sometimes these GT-100 and GT-120 rear derailleurs were substituted on the production line and were placed on varsity/continental. Count yourself lucky if your Varsity, etc has the GT-100 or GT-120 instead of the Allvit, as the shimano built rear derailleur is a better and far more durable unit.
There are millions of Seventies era Collegiates & Suburbans that can be cannibalized for parts. Few people, under 60 years old, that weren't Schwinn electroforged "lightweight" devotees of the Collegiate, Suburban, Conti. Varsity, Breeze, Speedster, etc in the 1970's that are even aware that the Seventies 5 speed Suburban & Seventies Collegiates have the 32-14 Model J freewheel.
Not too many care enough about the old near 40 pound Schwinns to know a few bits of potentially useful information for achieving better hill climbing potential on their old VARSITY or CONTINENTAL. The 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATE is far superior to the 1964 -1969 COLLEGIATE mainly because of the Model J with 32-14 versus the Model F with 28-14. For example, the 1970 Collegiate ( with 46 front) has a 1st gear (32 teeth cog) which translates to 37 GEAR which IS SUPERIOR TO THAT OF THE CONTINENTAL/10sp Suburban/VARSITY with its smallest front of 39 and 1st gear (28 teeth cog) which only translates to 38 GEAR. So you can see that the SEVENTIES era Collegiate 5 speed has SUPERIOR hill climbing first gear than the CONTINENTAL & VARSITY & SUBURBAN 10 speeds do!!!
The SUBURBAN 5 speed (with 46 front) and same 32 teeth 1st gear as the Seventies era COLLEGIATE , the 5 speed SUBURBAN has a 39 GEAR lowest gear.
The difference between the seventies era five speed Collegiate & five speed Suburban IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE COLLEGIATE has 597mm(26) wheel and the Suburban has 630mm(27) wheel.

Simple math allows you to easily compute these "GEAR" numbers.

Numerator is NUMBER OF TEETH ON FRONT
Denominator is NUMBER OF TEETH ON REAR

FRONT divided by REAR = "result"

Take that "result" and MULTIPLY by the INCH diameter of wheel = "GEAR" number

(Use 27" for 630mm and 622, 700C wheels, and USE 26" for 597mm, 590mm, 584mm, 650a, 650b, 650c, 571mm, and 559mm wheels)

Example:

45 front
15 rear
The bicycle has 27" 630mm wheels.

45 divided by 15 = 3

3 X 27 = 81 GEAR

Hey, if you wanna know roughly how far the bike will travel with each revolution of the pedals:
You take that GEAR number that you've calculated and you MULTIPLY IT TIMES pi
This will tell you the distance in INCHES that the bike will travel with each revolution of the pedals.
Divide that amount in inches by 12 to get a more meaningful distance traveled in feet.

Remember from your 4th grade math class some fifty years ago that pi equals 3.14
when expressed with only two decimal places, although it goes on out to infinity,
you can go out more decimal places if you wish....just GOOGLE pi for more if you want...

You will find that it was quite common during the Bike Boom era that most all manufacturers did provide such "GEAR" number charts in their catalogs and sometimes in their magazine advertisements too. It is so simple that your ten year old kid can do all the gear calculations of all your bikes for you!
Yeah, it is so simple, but don't let that fool you, BECAUSE this does provide meaningful comparative information when comparing similar bicycles!!
Old 01-08-22, 06:35 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 385 Posts
Do this

While looking for parts a couple years ago, I found this front crank spyder to allow different front chainrings. You may be able to find one. It works nicely.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...an-t-i-do.html
Old 01-08-22, 08:56 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-chai...-127632-2357-0

Triple chainring for Schwinn.
Likes For big chainring: