Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Left Side Drive ? (!)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Left Side Drive ? (!)

Old 01-08-22, 11:25 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Left Side Drive ? (!)

Anyone ever come across a true Left Side Drive: crank, chain & cog on the left side.. is it possible? Why would anyone do it ? & how did it work? Just curious.
Pretty sure there are logical reasons for the application, and it IS possible..

ps. Sorry if there is already been a WHOLE thread about this,
I couldn't find it if there is one..

Old 01-08-22, 12:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Anyone ever come across a true Left Side Drive: crank, chain & cog on the left side.. is it possible? Why would anyone do it ? & how did it work? Just curious.
Pretty sure there are logical reasons for the application, and it IS possible..

ps. Sorry if there is already been a WHOLE thread about this,
I couldn't find it if there is one..
Occasionally used in BMX. Haven’t seen any in regular bikes. Everything on the BMX works but it feels weird to work on them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-08-22, 12:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Sheldon's:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/gunnar-index.html
Old 01-08-22, 01:31 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Ah, of course Sheldon "Why be normal?" Brown has been there!
Spoke to him on the phone once, nice guy, was going to buy a 'special' fork from him, but it was towards the end sadly,
for him. (...& for ALL of us!) ..so don't know what happened to all his wonderful creations. Anyone know?

I suppose it would be a necessity for someone with one leg, the left leg..right?
Why do BMX-ers do it? Does it have to do with the direction of the track> ?
Or to Psyche others out?

Old 01-08-22, 02:58 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The perfect solution for all those sellers who insist on showing only the left hand side of the bike
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-08-22, 03:29 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
BMXers who grind on the right side have used LHD bikes for years. You can buy them stock.

Old 01-08-22, 03:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Ah, of course Sheldon "Why be normal?" Brown has been there!
Spoke to him on the phone once, nice guy, was going to buy a 'special' fork from him, but it was towards the end sadly,
for him. (...& for ALL of us!)
I corresponded with him over the internet, but never met him in person. I did send him the scans of my VAR catalog, which he posted on the web site.

..so don't know what happened to all his wonderful creations. Anyone know?
His wife auctioned some of them off over the years.
Old 01-08-22, 03:36 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 329 Posts
“I suppose it would be a necessity for someone with one leg, the left leg..right?”

People with one (left) leg still can ride with drivetrain on the right, as long as they have the left crank and pedal.
Old 01-08-22, 03:39 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Unless you can fabricate your own freewheeling mechanism, the left side drive bike has to be a fixed gear. There must have been left hand freewheels for the BMX bikes mentioned. Sheldon's fixed SA hub could have had a lugged drive sprocket. If it was threaded, there was no doubt a lockring thread as well.

As to why? Because you can.

oldschoolbike
Old 01-08-22, 04:54 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

More on left side drive

Left hand BMX freewheels are widely listed on eBay. Presumably there are hubs to match. Here's something else though:

I found a picture, but not the explanation that is (or was) out there somewhere.

The great Canadian rider and innovator in a conservative time, Jocelyn Lovell, built and rode a track bike with drive on both sides, to give a two-speed automatic for the kilo ride. As near as I can recall and work out again, this is how it worked: The right side had the lower ratio, implemented with a single freewheel snug on the free side of a fixed/free hub. The left side had the higher ratio, and started each run with a threaded cog set loosely on the hub. As the bike was pedalled, the threaded cog would overrun the hub, pushing it outward (thread is “wrong” on the left) until it hit a reverse-threaded (and maybe jambed?) lockring. Then the higher ratio would simply over-run the freewheel, and drive for the rest of the ride would be on the left. The bigger the ratio difference, the shorter the run in low gear. He had to back-pedal the bike to re-set the gears. Implementation would have been reversed and cleaner if he had a left hand threaded hub. I will gladly stand corrected on any of this if somebody knows otherwise.

In several ways, Jocelyn Lovell was Canada’s own Graham Obree.

oldschoolbike
Likes For oldschoolbike:
Old 01-08-22, 06:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Track racers tried LH drive decades ago to move the RH crank arm/pedal inwards to reduce banking strike when jockeying in a marched spring. Andy
Old 01-08-22, 06:26 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
Left hand BMX freewheels are widely listed on eBay. Presumably there are hubs to match. Here's something else though:

I found a picture, but not the explanation that is (or was) out there somewhere.

The great Canadian rider and innovator in a conservative time, Jocelyn Lovell, built and rode a track bike with drive on both sides, to give a two-speed automatic for the kilo ride. As near as I can recall and work out again, this is how it worked: The right side had the lower ratio, implemented with a single freewheel snug on the free side of a fixed/free hub. The left side had the higher ratio, and started each run with a threaded cog set loosely on the hub. As the bike was pedalled, the threaded cog would overrun the hub, pushing it outward (thread is “wrong” on the left) until it hit a reverse-threaded (and maybe jambed?) lockring. Then the higher ratio would simply over-run the freewheel, and drive for the rest of the ride would be on the left. The bigger the ratio difference, the shorter the run in low gear. He had to back-pedal the bike to re-set the gears. Implementation would have been reversed and cleaner if he had a left hand threaded hub. I will gladly stand corrected on any of this if somebody knows otherwise.

In several ways, Jocelyn Lovell was Canada’s own Graham Obree.

oldschoolbike
If he'd threaded a regular freewheel on both sides it could have been like a "retro direct" bike. One ratio pedaling forward and another in reverse
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-08-22, 07:22 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Track racers tried LH drive decades ago to move the RH crank arm/pedal inwards to reduce banking strike when jockeying in a marched spring. Andy
https://feltbicycles.com/products/ta-frd-trackbike
Likes For asgelle:
Old 01-08-22, 09:00 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The US Women's pursuit team has been on LH drive Felt bikes for years, since the Rio Olympics.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-08-22, 09:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Curious that it's a pursuit bike that Felt used a LH drive on. Of the track events pursuit is likely the least needing pedal/track clearance If a rider is going slow enough to need the added clearance they have lost the race. Andy
Old 01-08-22, 09:38 PM
asgelle

Curious that it's a pursuit bike that Felt used a LH drive on. Of the track events pursuit is likely the least needing pedal/track clearance If a rider is going slow enough to need the added clearance they have lost the race. Andy
Aero not clearance.
Old 01-09-22, 09:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by asgelle
Aero not clearance.
I fail to believe that having the drive on the LH side would be any more aero than its being on the RH side. If anything having only left turns on a track it seems to me that a RH drive would be more in the aero shadow than on the LH side. Andy
Old 01-09-22, 09:50 AM
asgelle

I fail to believe that having the drive on the LH side would be any more aero than its being on the RH side. If anything having only left turns on a track it seems to me that a RH drive would be more in the aero shadow than on the LH side.
That's certainly more convincing than all the CFD and track testing Felt and USAC have done on this design.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 01-09-22, 11:28 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
For most people, the right leg is dominant, just like the right hand. There is presumably a slight benefit in the transfer of the force to the chain being shorter for the dominant leg. The actual choice of the side could have been, though, very much an accident of history.
Old 01-09-22, 02:04 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Jocelyn Lovell ... dual drive ...& interestingly set up: switchable(!). Speaking of which, how did Sheldon get the 3-speed hub to have 3 gears once it was flipped over? There is no information on that, just on the thumb-shifter he adapted a bit.

Last edited by kraftwerk; 01-09-22 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-09-22, 04:33 PM
oldschoolbike

At least one of the gears of a normal freewheeling AW three-speed hub works by over-running a directional clutch (you can hear the pawls as you pedal), so there is some directionality in the planetary gear set. It's hard to imagine that that would function as a fixed gear, so maybe the fixed 3-speed hub had a different implementation that eliminated any directioanality. Or maybe not, and Sheldon's modification was to block out the gear that didn't like being driven backward.

I had enough trouble getting my head around Lovell's transmission with nothing but a poor photo and single-sided freewheel hub in my hands. I don't think I can do the thought experiment well enough to work out how a three-speed fixed gear hub must work without any artefact or documentary evidence to work with.

oldschoolbike
Old 01-09-22, 04:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
At least one of the gears of a normal freewheeling AW three-speed hub works by over-running a directional clutch (you can hear the pawls as you pedal), so there is some directionality in the planetary gear set. It's hard to imagine that that would function as a fixed gear, so maybe the fixed 3-speed hub had a different implementation that eliminated any directioanality.
The 3-speed, fixed gear hubs (ACS, S3X) don't have any pawls.
Old 01-09-22, 06:32 PM
oldschoolbike

That makes sense. Sheldon refers to the ACS as having very different gear ratios from the typical AW freewheeling 3-speed and no "overdrive" ratio. There may have been some common parts, but to first order anyway, it was a different hub.

So the question remains, what did Sheldon have to do to the gear shifter? If it was a true fixed gear in all ratios, what would be the problem be with running it backwards?

oldschoolbike
Old 01-10-22, 12:03 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
That makes sense. Sheldon refers to the ACS as having very different gear ratios from the typical AW freewheeling 3-speed and no "overdrive" ratio. There may have been some common parts, but to first order anyway, it was a different hub.

So the question remains, what did Sheldon have to do to the gear shifter? If it was a true fixed gear in all ratios, what would be the problem be with running it backwards?

oldschoolbike
I am not as well versed on the ASC as I am on the S3X, but the latter model's internals had more in common with the wide range 5 speed than they did with the 3 speed. The planet carrier and the ratios are the same as the 5 speed.
I did this video nearly 10 years ago to demonstrate hot the S3X works.
Old 01-10-22, 04:30 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
My main commuter is a left hand drive fixed gear single speed.

I use SPD pedals, which have poles. So, to make the crankset work, I installed helicoils in the cranks so that I can have my pedals oriented correctly. Rides exactly the same really. The rear hub is set up with a Shimano Deore XT, HB-M756 hub (6 bolt disc front hub), that has the original axle replaced. The fixed cog is bolted to the hub where a disc rotor would go.

Fun bike and to be honest, most people don't even notice that my bike is not "normal".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.