Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tricycle

Old 05-07-20, 07:53 PM
helijohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tricycle

Well I looked for a trike section with no luck and I nearly went in the over 50 section.
Much to my surprise I decided to buy a build it yourself trike. It is called Merax. I have never really considered a tricycle but.............
Now I have built it I love it.
In white the build went very well but then my partner said she wanted one after riding it. That came as a shock as she absolutely refused to ride a bike I bought her a few years ago. So I let her have it and I bought another (not in that order).
The second build was not so trouble free, some issues came up which I overcame.
Trouble is I have no real experience of the drum brake on the back. I have to say I do not like the fact it works on only one rear wheel but that is neither here nor there.
Here is what I am coming to; I am sure the drum somehow needs attention but have no idea where to start. The problem is a loud graunching noise when I apply the rear brake. The brake on the first trike works fine.
Can anyone help please because the booklet it came with is a bit sparse.
Old 05-07-20, 09:09 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There are two main types of trikes, the "adult" sometimes called a granny trike and a recumbent trike. You will find some information in the Recumbent section for the latter type and some in the 50 Plus subforum for adult trikes. You have enough posts (10 minimum) to be eligible to include a picture with your post. That would help.
Old 05-08-20, 02:50 AM
helijohn

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
There are two main types of trikes, the "adult" sometimes called a granny trike and a recumbent trike. You will find some information in the Recumbent section for the latter type and some in the 50 Plus subforum for adult trikes. You have enough posts (10 minimum) to be eligible to include a picture with your post. That would help.
I did know there was a section for recumbent cycles but this is a trike..............................an adult trike. I am reluctant to call it a granny trike. A good few people with disabilities use them. I did not want to add a photo until I was sure I was in the best section on the forum.

Likes For helijohn:
Old 05-08-20, 07:45 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

The reference to the term "granny trike" was in memory of a good friend,now deceased. We corresponded from a long distance and he called my tadpole recumbent trike a "dork trike" and I called his utility trike a "granny trike". I was all in good fun. The typical adult trike has at the most 3 speeds and tends to be much heavier than a good quality recumbent trike. I occasionally see one here in Las Vegas mostly used for short trip shopping excursions. I had the chance to meet my friend some years ago at a recumbent bike rally in Wisconsin. He had MS and was about to retire to Florida. Unfortunately a drunk driver in Florida took his life a few months after he moved there from Wisconsin. He was riding a recumbent trike at the time. You don't have to be old to ride either one so it is not a case of ageism. Recumbent trikes are quite expensive compared to the regular adult trike.

I would still go to the recumbent section and post your question there. Some recumbent trikes use drum brakes. Do you know what brand of brakes is used on your trike? That would help someone who may answer your question. None of my three trikes had drum brakes so I can't really give you much help. You could also try the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 05-08-20 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 09:00 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
From what little I can see, that's not a traditional drum brake but more of a band brake. I'm not familiar, but it seems like noise issues would most likely be from an alignment problem, bad pad on the band, or contamination. Is the - cylinder? - firmly attached to the drive shaft? Play there could cause noise, too. Most velomobiles, and the few touring recumbent trikes that use drums, use hub units that work like automotive drums. Have you asked the brake manufacturer?
Old 05-08-20, 09:11 AM
helijohn

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
From what little I can see, that's not a traditional drum brake but more of a band brake. I'm not familiar, but it seems like noise issues would most likely be from an alignment problem, bad pad on the band, or contamination. Is the - cylinder? - firmly attached to the drive shaft?
Yes band brake describes it well. It is firmly attached. I'll check out you suggestions and get a better pic. Thanks.
Old 05-08-20, 09:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Imma just say it....based on the pic I am going full out on the assumption that you live somewhere flat with a good non-auto riding area. I bet those things are a hoot to cruise around on.
Old 05-08-20, 10:13 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Imma just say it....based on the pic I am going full out on the assumption that you live somewhere flat with a good non-auto riding area. I bet those things are a hoot to cruise around on.
We're primarily road bikers, but rented one of these last year in Florida. Did 35 miles on a MUP.. It cranks...we passed about everyone, including those riding e-bikes. Granted..it was Florida..on a MUP. It was a blast.

Likes For fishboat:
Old 05-08-20, 10:35 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Yep. That is a band brake.

The one on my Schwinn Meridian worked like absolute garbage.

I removed it and installed an Arai drum brake. It threaded right on. All I had to do was bend the flange 90 degrees at the cable stop so that it would continue to act like a cable stop.
20190216_112623 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

20190216_112515 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

...Oh, & the brake lever had a different pull ratio than the band brake so I had to switch the lever to match.

Last edited by base2; 05-08-20 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-08-20, 11:31 AM
VegasTriker

Ah hah. A picture and better description makes this a lot easier to understand. I have never seen a band brake. There is a good source of information at the late Sheldon Brown's website and links to other sources. You may find some more information on how to adjust the brake there. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/band-brakes.html
Old 05-08-20, 01:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Whaaat? Sheldon Brown wrote something about bicycle band brakes??? Shocking!

Don't get yourself a recumbent tadpole trike or you'll end up having to get her one too. Although I think if you looked hard you could find used ones for about what those Meraxes go for new.

Likes For BlazingPedals: