Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An Interesting Performance/Aging Parallel - Golf vs. Cycling

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

An Interesting Performance/Aging Parallel - Golf vs. Cycling

Old 01-09-23, 11:26 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You’ve clearly missed out on the experience of being a talentless novice racer.
Ha. Maybe the common factor there is "keeping score." I should not do that. The real difference, though, is that ... I haven't lost a hundred bikes in the woods on the right.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 01-09-23, 03:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
This crossed my mind today while I was pedaling on my indoor bike. It would seem that the number of ftp watts that I have lost since age 65 (now age 73) is almost exactly the same as the distance that I have lost with my driver on the golf course (in yards). It is around 35 in both cases. Fascinating somehow and also discouraging somehow.

dave

Are you playing with modern souped up clubs/balls? It might be more of a loss if you are playing with clubs from the time before the golf powers let the tech run wild.

I watched this happen to my father. He kept losing distance, but wouldn't move up to the forward tees because of pride. He finally moved up, but that brought all the trouble off the tee back into play and his scores balloned again. Then he wanted to pick each tee to hit from at his discretion. Problem was, he wanted to go out as a team and play others for money. I told him he had to pick one tee or the other if he wanted money on the line. He didn't go for that and neither did anyone he wanted to play against. We quit playing together shortly after that. When the golf powers decided not to reel the ball in or the tech in general, I quit playing permanently. My beloved Mizuno MP-14s are in a closet. One of these days maybe I'll get them back out.

Last edited by seypat; 01-09-23 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 04:41 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Are you playing with modern souped up clubs/balls? It might be more of a loss if you are playing with clubs from the time before the golf powers let the tech run wild.

I watched this happen to my father. He kept losing distance, but wouldn't move up to the forward tees because of pride. He finally moved up, but that brought all the trouble off the tee back into play and his scores balloned again. Then he wanted to pick each tee to hit from at his discretion. Problem was, he wanted to go out as a team and play others for money. I told him he had to pick one tee or the other if he wanted money on the line. He didn't go for that and neither did anyone he wanted to play against. We quit playing together shortly after that. When the golf powers decided not to reel the ball in or the tech in general, I quit playing permanently. My beloved Mizuno MP-14s are in a closet. One of these days maybe I'll get them back out.

I finally moved up to the Sr tees at our new course. I feel like since I’m 70 years old now I’ve earned that right. It’s a lot more enjoyable hitting irons into greens vs longer clubs. But I’m still playing my mid 90’s Mizuno Tzoid pro irons. I’ve tried a lot of irons but these just feel so great and the distance is okay. I did get them reshafted with regular shafts several years ago……
Old 01-17-23, 01:32 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Nice to have more than one outdoor exercise hobby that can age with you. Screw the data, just keep enjoying the activity or add a new hobby. One opinion only.
Old 01-17-23, 03:54 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
How many PGA golfers win after 45. Tennis players/ cyclists after 36. Swimmers/ speed skaters after 30.
Tells you all you need to know about human performance.
Old 01-22-23, 06:41 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have played golf and cycled my entire life, I'm 70 now and never thought of equating the two. Golf is a competitive sport while cycling has always been a fun way to go places. I don't hit the ball as far as I used to, I don't ride as fast as I have. I still play to a 6 handicap and cycle about 125 miles a week. I enjoy them both and hope to for years.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 01-22-23, 07:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Think a more appropriate parallel would be cycling speed/distance along with long distance running speed/distance.