Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your C&V Cyclocross bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 04:23 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 758 Posts

If you have a C&V cyclocross bike, post it here. I'll start.

I've never tried cyclocross, but was thinking I'd give it a whirl this fall. COVID has nixed that idea. Still, over the past couple years I've acquired a few used cyclocross tubulars, a couple Dugasts, an FMB and a Challenge. All are in the 33-34mm range size-wise and seem to sort of be in decent shape. I don't actually have a proper C&V cyclocross frame though. Today I finished messing around with the Dugasts. The base tape was coated in what I took to be tubular tape residue (there is some question about that though) and stitching on one of them had torn. The glue/goo took a bit of effort to remove, but I have them cleaned up enough that I feel I can safely glue them up. I test fit them to a pair of Wolber Aspin/Campy Record wheels, pumped them to 20psi and hung them on my Schwinn Super Sport. It's clearly not a real CX frame, given the Schwinn below-the-top-tube cable routing and lack of canti posts. The tires just fit. I think they give the bike a bit of a bada** look (yes, I know the brake cable loops are too big - I'll fix that one of these days):

I'll try to get them glued up in the next couple days and take them out to the local park. Low gear will be something like 42-28, so I imagine I'll wind up walking up a couple of the one hill (Mount Trashmore).
Old 12-04-20, 04:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Pinarello cross

I've been wanting a vintage cross bike for a while and when this Pinarello cross showed up in my size, I snapped it up. I haven't decided how I'm going to build it up yet (2 x 7 or 3 x 7). I've mocked it up with tires and it handles 32c clinchers comfortably. I may talk myself into buying some cross tubulars though as I know the ride will be plush and I have some quality tubular wheelsets sitting around. This is as the bike came to me in the "wild" with a bunch of OK but inexpensive Japanese gear. I think I'm going to build it up with suntour xc pro and command shifters.

Old 12-04-20, 05:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
If you have a C&V cyclocross bike, post it here. I'll start.

I've never tried cyclocross, but was thinking I'd give it a whirl this fall. COVID has nixed that idea. Still, over the past couple years I've acquired a few used cyclocross tubulars, a couple Dugasts, an FMB and a Challenge. All are in the 33-34mm range size-wise and seem to sort of be in decent shape. I don't actually have a proper C&V cyclocross frame though. Today I finished messing around with the Dugasts. The base tape was coated in what I took to be tubular tape residue (there is some question about that though) and stitching on one of them had torn. The glue/goo took a bit of effort to remove, but I have them cleaned up enough that I feel I can safely glue them up. I test fit them to a pair of Wolber Aspin/Campy Record wheels, pumped them to 20psi and hung them on my Schwinn Super Sport. It's clearly not a real CX frame, given the Schwinn below-the-top-tube cable routing and lack of canti posts. The tires just fit. I think they give the bike a bit of a bada** look (yes, I know the brake cable loops are too big - I'll fix that one of these days):

I'll try to get them glued up in the next couple days and take them out to the local park. Low gear will be something like 42-28, so I imagine I'll wind up walking up a couple of the one hill (Mount Trashmore).
Interesting rear brake placement. Is that to gain a little more tire clearance?
Old 12-04-20, 06:16 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by caloso
Flipping the caliper like that lines up its control bits (quick release, adjuster) with the placement of the brake housing ferrules on the frame. It would appear the Super Sport of that era (early 80s) was speced with brakes whose calipers were mirror images of mine.
Old 12-04-20, 07:31 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
OP, you could modify a triple for a 1x drivetrain with guard. 36 x 13-28 would give you a range of 34-74 inches.
Old 12-04-20, 07:50 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
This will be good. I missed out on a Pinarello CX bike back when I was looking for a C&V CX bike. It had a rear DT shifter and single chainwheeel with cantis. I ended up getting a Surly Crosscheck and when it got stolen, I got a Milwaukee Road that had room for my tubular CX tires under long reach brakes.
Old 12-04-20, 08:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Flipping the caliper like that lines up its cable entry with the frame's drive housing stop.
Ah. Makes sense. I put modern side-pulls on my old Paramount, so I route the rear cable from its drive-side cable stop to the nds of the seat tube and seat stay, sort of like you're doing on the front.

Always wanted a vintage cross bike, but just to gravel grind.
​​​​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-04-20, 08:27 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Always wanted a vintage cross bike, but just to gravel grind.
​​​​​​​Likely my main use as well.
Old 12-04-20, 09:49 PM
aeshultz
Somewhat slow older guy

Bikes: '83 Trek 311, '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '06 LeMond Poprad, '07 LeMond plastic bike, '06 Serotta CSI, Surly Cross Check, and a few others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I fell into an older Alan frameset a few years back, and built it up to play with it. These were "screwed & glued" aluminum, pretty light for what they were. Had a blast with it until I realized that I could watch the front axle move 1" or so front to back while the fork sucked up bumps - was probably OK, but it gave me pause, as I didn't fancy seeing the fork blades go their own way as I wailed on it.
Replaced it a little later with a steel LeMond Poprad - way better.
Likes For aeshultz:
Old 12-04-20, 10:11 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Maybe not fully C&V but I've seen in the past Colnago cross frames in steel, would love to get that, an early Serotta or a Fat Chance and deck it out with 8sp Dura Ace STI, XTR rear der and Canti brakes. Just wish 7400 Dura Ace came in a smaller BCD, when I started cross a 38t was fine, now I'm really liking the 34t chainring.
Old 12-04-20, 11:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig

this is super cool.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-05-20, 06:09 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
I have got all the right parts - Mafac cantis, Campag bar ends, etc. And I have had it for ages. Built the wheels many years ago. Brazed new cable stops in place as the original ones had cracked. A frame with some provenance as it was built for a professional racer and a special order at the factory.

Still not got around finishing it... Some day though - it will be done.

Old 12-05-20, 07:16 AM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
This is my Bernard Carre´, circa late 60's/early 70's. When it popped up on French eBay advertised as a "randonneur," we debated on the CR list whether that was an apt description or not. Cantilever brakes and lots of tire clearance stimulated the debate. Norris, I think, declared it to most likely be a 'cross bike, and that's pretty much where the discussion landed. I liked what I saw and had already pulled the trigger before any conclusions had been reached.

I've built the frame up a couple of ways, usually with wildly incorrect parts, and I did (very briefly) build a sort of drop bar rough stuff ride at one point. I love the feel of the ride though, and began to collect together some French stuff that I also like. During the first quarantine last spring, I put together a French road bike, which is probably the final-ish version.

So, was this originally a 'cross bike. I tend to think so. Others have shared with me examples of racers who used cantis, and they are confident theirs interpretation is more accurate. I leave it to you to reach your own conclusion.
Old 12-05-20, 04:49 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts

Not sure if it is old enough; 1997 SwissCross, mostly orginal.
Old 12-05-20, 08:05 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
This is Zero Uno tubing, fully lugged and Reparto Corse built. They were only sold for two years and only as a frameset.

Old 12-07-20, 02:15 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by aeshultz
I fell into an older Alan frameset a few years back, and built it up to play with it. These were "screwed & glued" aluminum, pretty light for what they were. Had a blast with it until I realized that I could watch the front axle move 1" or so front to back while the fork sucked up bumps - was probably OK, but it gave me pause, as I didn't fancy seeing the fork blades go their own way as I wailed on it.
Replaced it a little later with a steel LeMond Poprad - way better.
I had an off-topic 2008 GT cyclocross bike with an Easton carbon fiber fork and cantilever brakes. One race that I did that was basically a loop down and back up quite a steep hill I found that with the cable hangar up by the stem there was a significant amount of judder when braking hard on the front. It's probably exaggerated in my head, but it looked like my fork was flexing back and forth about an inch as well!

I found out over two races that I don't really like racing cyclocross, but I sure do want a vintage CX frame.
Old 12-07-20, 02:43 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
[snip]...would love to get that, an early Serotta...
Sold this frame earlier this year, but it was the earliest true cross frame I've ever had. Fuquay was a Serotta framebuilder, and built this as his own cross race frame. So despite being decaled a Serotta Custom, there's not a lot Serotta-y about it, at least as far as 1990 Serottas went. Really light frame, seatstays flexed considerably when braking w/o the booster I used. First/only time I've seen seatstay caps squared-off at the apex. Went through a couple/few builds, ended up restomod-y.

Old 12-07-20, 03:33 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I found out over two races that I don't really like racing cyclocross, but I sure do want a vintage CX frame.
I did ride a Passage as a single-speed with knobbies, that was pretty fun even if it wasn't a real CX bike

Old 12-07-20, 04:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
This is Zero Uno tubing, fully lugged and Reparto Corse built. They were only sold for two years and only as a frameset.

This is really wonderful.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-07-20, 04:26 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I've been wanting a vintage cross bike for a while and when this Pinarello cross showed up in my size, I snapped it up. I haven't decided how I'm going to build it up yet (2 x 7 or 3 x 7). I've mocked it up with tires and it handles 32c clinchers comfortably. I may talk myself into buying some cross tubulars though as I know the ride will be plush and I have some quality tubular wheelsets sitting around. This is as the bike came to me in the "wild" with a bunch of OK but inexpensive Japanese gear. I think I'm going to build it up with suntour xc pro and command shifters.
If (when?) you do race cross with this bike I'd recommend 2X7.
Old 04-26-21, 10:05 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

Alan Guerciotti

Empella Turbo

Empella Turbo, another one, no original paint

Chr Jeucken/CJV, cx-rebuild with as base a Gitane road frame.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 04-26-21, 11:23 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Or as an homage to Harry Hanoovian.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 10-30-21, 09:49 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

CJV, Chr Jeucken build this 1981 in Venray, the Netherlands. I lived there those days, always great to see the bikes in his shop. Not only his own build but Gazelle, Colnago etcetera, grat stuff. This one is build now for ridin' sunday next week the Stalen Ros Turf Toertocht.

Just fun.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 11-10-21, 10:39 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I bought this Bianchi Tangent as a frame set few months ago, then went to searching for a donor bike. It was originally a drop bar bike, but I managed to find a high end hybrid as a donor, so the once CX bike became a hybrid. Does that make it less cool?

Ironically, the 2 year only Bianchi model got a 2 year only Shimano groupset (CX700). The crankset and front derailleur are XT due to compatibility differences.

Last edited by katsup; 11-10-21 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For katsup:
Old 11-11-21, 01:47 AM
Hproduguidon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 127 Posts
Likes For Hproduguidon:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.