Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What came in the post for you today?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What came in the post for you today?

Old 10-08-22, 07:05 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 50 Posts
During the great purge of early 2022, I sadly liquidated just about every bike specific tool I had in my possession. Now that life is rolling along again, it's time to replace what is long gone.

While I lucked upon a few basics items at a nearby thrift shop a fews days back, I'm also pleased to receive this gently used cable puller in the mail today.

​​​​
Old 10-09-22, 01:33 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 355 Posts
Went to the vintage bicycle stock market in Geel, Belgium and came home with Colnago Master vinyl stickers, a cap and vintage rain jacket (both for free) and this stuff, Gipiemme grease and a lot Galli.

Excuse me for the reflecting flash light.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 10-09-22, 03:19 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
Went to the vintage bicycle stock market in Geel, Belgium (...)
Ha! I was over at the competing event, in Berlicum.

Today's harvest: NOS Sanyo Dynapower, some Campy and Huret spares and a couple of tiny front racks. And I am hoping on a follow-up call about a Groene Leeuw headbadge ...

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-09-22, 03:30 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Ha! I was over at the competing event, in Berlicum.

Today's harvest: NOS Sanyo Dynapower, some Campy and Huret spares and a couple of tiny front racks. And I am hoping on a follow-up call about a Groene Leeuw headbadge ...
We are privileged.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 10-11-22, 05:27 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
One more piece for the Vitus build.

Likes For Brad L:
Old 10-11-22, 06:43 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts

Delta AxleRodz
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 10-11-22, 06:48 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by streetsurfer

Delta AxleRodz
I love hex skewers
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 10-13-22, 03:35 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

A set of TRP Eurox brakes. Basically a 21st century version of the much loved - by me, anyway - MAFAC Criterium brakes. A 1946 design with carbon plates and titanium hardware. 218 grams in all. I fell in love with the idea and emptied my piggy bank.

Old 10-15-22, 09:48 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 36 Posts
SunTour Command Shifters, for my next rebuild, mid 80s Schwinn Traveler.
Likes For chiefkurtz:
Old 10-15-22, 09:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Another shipment of short stem presta tubes. It’s been a bad year for goatheads , some of my tubes are up to 5 patches. Waiting on the decals from Velo Cals for those Super Champion Gentleman 81 wheels I bought last weekend. They should be here today! Yay
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-15-22, 01:06 PM
fabiofarelli

Originally Posted by non-fixie
A set of TRP Eurox brakes. Basically a 21st century version of the much loved - by me, anyway - MAFAC Criterium brakes. A 1946 design with carbon plates and titanium hardware. 218 grams in all. I fell in love with the idea and emptied my piggy bank.

And they make me think of the follow up from Mafac, the Froglegs/Spooky brakes. Nice!
Old 10-15-22, 04:00 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
And they make me think of the follow up from Mafac, the Froglegs/Spooky brakes. Nice!
I was actually looking for a set of Empella Froglegs, when these popped up.

And yes, they are nice. The red anodizing is a little bling-y and the straddle cable hangers seem unnecessarily over-engineered and heavy (I may actually decide to use MAFAC originals), but they are beautifully made. What I really like are the adjusters for the straddle cables and that the pads themselves are adjustable in two directions.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-15-22, 06:43 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts

I got a fabulous new mug today.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-19-22, 04:04 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Well I probably shouldn’t have but…… Someone posted a tire sale advertisement last week for one of those fancy pants tires you guys like. Well I spotted Vittoria Rally tires on sale at under $20 each! So I figured I’d get a lifetime supply. I know a lot of you don’t care too much for them, but I’ve good luck with them especially after they’ve aged a year or two.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-20-22, 12:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

After getting the TRP carbon brakes (see post 7758) last week, I decided I needed a set of carbon levers to go with them.

I found a set of unused Campagnolo Athena levers that look the part on a local classifieds site. 11-speed , but with a Shimano 9-speed cassette shortened to 8 speeds, I should be able to get them to work.

I think.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-20-22, 01:58 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts

23.8 porteur bars from VO for the Raleigh pro. Managed to get a set of weinmann city style levers to fit. Now barcons and a nitto dirt drop will get me rolling.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 10-20-22, 03:41 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I got a fabulous new mug today.
I love NPR schwag. I have a t-shirt from Minnesota Public Radio that says "It's 7:01 and the news is next" with no context or branding. I have my sights on a shirt from my local KALW, which has a cartoonish line drawing of a school lunch tray. KALW was established as a service of the San Francisco Unified School District, and they have been announcing the daily lunch menu since the early 20th century.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-20-22, 06:08 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
A bunch of stuff "arrived" over the past few weeks, almost all with a Portland connection. My son picked this up for me from Portland CL (it's still in Portland, I've not yet laid eyes on it), probably a '71 Fuji The Finest:

Veloce 9s rear derailleur for the new frame:

Dual pivot Campagnolo brake calipers (no model name on them – what are they?)

Nuovo Record 27.2 seatpost:

Dia Compe N500 brake calipers (snagged these from my son's box o' parts):

I suffered a bunch of flats in Portland, so bought ten inner tubes, used a couple while there, left a few behind, and brought five home:

Finally, not something I bought, but a Hozan truing stand I saw at a garage sale, then outed over on iBoB. One of the BoBs ran over and snagged it:
Old 10-20-22, 06:31 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
(no model name on them – what are they?)
BR-04RE from 1993/1994: https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...e_page_26.html
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-21-22, 10:27 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
While putting my crank back on the Schwinn Super Sport, I realized that I didn't have the right tool. I checked all my adjustable wrenches and none of them open wide enough for the drive side race on a Schwinn Ashtabula one piece crank. It is threaded and has two flat on it. I remember it came off with a pipe wrench. Not my best work, but it was going to come off today. Going back on, I used Channel-Loc pliers. Ok, but still primitive Pete style. The thing is that both the non-drive side race and the nut on the drive side are kind-of odd sizes. At least that is the way they measured up for me.

Getting a big 12" cle anglaise (adjustable wrench) was more money than I wanted to spend. Going to a specific open end wrench size, new was too much as well. So, I tried an online laser cutting shop. I designed the wrenches in AutoCAD 12. Yea, I'm behind the times, but I see no reason to update. I am in the C&V section so, I should be in safe company. In order to meet their minimum order amount of $29, I added a wrench for a Sturmey-Archer axle nut. And sent .dwg's to Send Cut Send. One week later I got my wrenches cut from 0.190" [5mm] chrome-moly and vacuum packed on cardboard to prevent damage.

I should have taken a picture as delivered, but I was too excited and went ahead and cleaned up the edges and top and bottom surfaces.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 10-21-22 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 10-22-22, 05:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Nice wrenches. No bottle opener notch? Just out of curiosity what size is the nut anyway? It’s probably xx years since I worked on an Ashtabula crank.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 10-22-22, 09:21 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
Good question @bianchigirl . The drive side race is 1.683", which works out 42.75mm between the flats. And 1.195" or 30.35mm for the non-drive side nut. This size also fits Schwinn headset nuts.

Could it be that the drive side race is 1-19/32"? That would be 1.693" in digital inches. Perhaps. But how common would a 1-19/32" wrench be? And that is 10 thousandths over the flat to flat dimension. I would think a better fit would be required.

And for the non-drive side nut, the closest fractional size is 1-13/64" or 1.203" in digital inches. Or 30.56mm. This is 8 thousandths bigger than the size of the nut. So, perhaps. Usually when making nuts you start with hex stock. Then all you have to do is drill the proper size hole, thread it and part it off. There is no need to machine the outside hex surfaces. This seems to be an odd size for hex stock as well, but perhaps it was more available at some time. Or it was a Schwinn specific size.
Anyway, odd sizes. Neither metric or a standard inch size.

The Sturmey Archer axle nut wrench came in with a perfect fit from Send Cut Send, but the Ashtabula crank wrench was just undersize. That lasered surface is tuff and the file skated right across it. I had to use sandpaper to open it up for the proper fit.

I am already making modifications to the drawing for a revision B, just so that if I ever need to make another it is the right fit. I also made a couple of minor tweaks while I was at it.

So far, I'm glad that no one has replied that I could have gotten a Park tool instead of designing my own.

The bottle opener has been done so often, but now that you bring it up.... No, it doesn't work as a bottle opener except if I put the wrench under the cap an hit upward on the wrench.

Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 10-23-22, 04:58 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Good question @bianchigirl .
Can't comment on your need for a wrench, though yours looks great. I will point out that Bianchigirll has two "L"s though. You kind of growl when you say it.

Last edited by smontanaro; 10-23-22 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-22, 07:05 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Can't comment on your need for a wrench, though yours looks great. I will point out thatBianchigirll has two "L"s though. You kind of growl when you say it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 10-25-22, 06:34 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 320 Posts
Just collected: Mavic Monthlery Pro tubular rims for £31 on Ebay.
Complete with Shimano 600 high flange hub + Sunshine high flange hub + Sunrace 14-28 5 speed freewheel.
They were staring at me and I couldn't say no.

It's for a new project, now I just need an early 60s Holdsworth Cyclone frame (and a few other parts).

They will look a lot better when I've cleaned them up:

Likes For Aardwolf:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.