Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Swapping Simplex shifters for Campy - Tapping threads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 11:53 AM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts

To clarify this is in regards to downtube braze on levers. I want to install a set of Nuovo Record levers in place of the SLJ's.

Anyone ever tap those oddly threaded Simplex bosses to accept a Campy screw? 5x1 to 5x0.8 if I remember correctly.

Assuming that the tapping job was successful, how'd things turn out for you? Did the swap perform well for you?

I've read that it's difficult to keep things tight. Wondering if thread locker would help, or not.

Thinking of giving this a go on my PX-10, but want to hear from folks with firsthand experience before I go and do something I might regret.
Old 12-05-22, 12:49 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I thought a version of Simplex DT shifters were the best that's ever been. As good as Johnny the fiddler who kicked Ol Scratch's a$$ back to Hades. Anyway, if you want to see if the Campys shift better, put them on a clamp on mount and give them a try. After that, make a decision.
Old 12-05-22, 01:06 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by seypat
I thought a version of Simplex DT shifters were the best that's ever been. As good as Johnny the fiddler who kicked Ol Scratch's a$$ back to Hades. Anyway, if you want to see if the Campys shift better, put them on a clamp on mount and give them a try. After that, make a decision.
Certainly the retrofrictions are loved by many. I often read how they're "the best shifters ever made." And I can't disagree that they perform great. I've been riding with a pair for a couple months now.

To be honest though, my inclination to swap them out for Campy is more about completing a group set than anything else. And then there an aesthetic preference as well. I simply love a low profile lever, while wide protruding levers tend to irk me.

I would actually assume that NR levers will perform not quite as well as SLJ, but for my riding style, that's not much of a concern.

I just need to know if the Campy mounting/adjusting screws should hold dependably in a re-tapped boss or not.
Old 12-05-22, 01:17 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
You'll have to wait for someone else to answer the question then. I will say though, if that's a high level Pug that came with a high level Simplex group, a future buyer will probably want the complete Simplex group back on it. So, retapping the bosses will probably decrease the value.
Old 12-05-22, 01:50 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by seypat
You'll have to wait for someone else to answer the question then. I will say though, if that's a high level Pug that came with a high level Simplex group, a future buyer will probably want the complete Simplex group back on it. So, retapping the bosses will probably decrease the value.
I get your point. And normally that'd be a consideration I'd hold too. And while it is a high end frame, it had most of its original parts changed out prior to my purchasing it. I also really feel this bike is a keeper. I'm enjoying it as much or more than anything else that has passed through my hands.
Old 12-06-22, 09:30 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Hmmm...I'm looking for some retrofrictions for my PXN10 and it has these on it...

Wanna trade?
Old 12-06-22, 09:51 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
What is the compatibility between Simplex and Huret DT levers? Huret made some elegant, slender levers in the mid to late '70s with the Success group.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...0084a&Enum=104
Old 12-06-22, 12:02 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Blues
To clarify this is in regards to downtube braze on levers. I want to install a set of Nuovo Record levers in place of the SLJ's.
[snip]
Anyone ever tap those oddly threaded Simplex bosses to accept a Campy screw?
I think you may find the Simplex boss
a) is too short;
b) has no flats; or
c) both of the above.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-06-22, 12:15 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Aside from the above concerns, I would not tap to 5x0.8 from 5x1. It will be a mess. The thread pitches are so close that there will be nearly no threads left by the end of your tapping job. That's also what happens when you tap a French bb to English. The pitches are so close there won't hardly be any thread left by the end.
Old 12-06-22, 12:22 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by oneclick
I think you may find the Simplex boss
a) is too short;
b) has no flats; or
c) both of the above.

​​After looking into it more, it began to appear that there's a bit of inconsistency regarding the subject. Conflicting reports. Surprise, right?

Anyhow, I decided to attempt a straight swap rather than leap right into making any permanent changes with a thread tap that may or may not have worked.

Turns out, at least in my case, that Campy levers install just fine on Simplex bosses without need for any modifications. Everything pressed right into place, and the screws threaded in easily and snugly. Should note that this is a '79 frame in case era makes a difference or not.

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 12-06-22 at 01:49 PM.
Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 12-06-22, 01:45 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Glad it was that simple for you.
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-07-22, 04:37 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Calling Emily Litella . . .
Old 12-07-22, 08:04 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Simplex Retrofriction levers will usually have the same threading as Campys, as long as they are not the ones that came with a band clamp. The oddball threaded ones are the ones with the band clamp.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1: