Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Opinion: Yamaha YDX is the one

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Opinion: Yamaha YDX is the one

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 04:57 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
I like Yamaha-equipped EMTB's, and own a Haibike hardtail (which I changed the front end - fork and wheel - to drop several pounds) first step in severe weight reduction. However, to me, this is pretty much MOS (more of the same), 50-55 pound, $4,000 -$8,000 behemoth. In this instance, as with many others, it won't fit on my bake rack. I'll eschew. However, I realize that probably I have strange tastes, so that's a factor too. I wish they would work on the other end of the spectrum, $3,000 and as light as feasible.
Old 12-28-22, 03:24 PM
jlundevall73

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up the Moro a few days ago. Very excited to hit the trails and will keep this thread updated.
Old 01-07-23, 01:29 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Why do they put pathetic 250 watt motors in such nice bicycles?
This would be great with 750-1500 watts and 100-150 NM of torque.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-07-23, 01:40 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by vonfilm
why would you need 1000 watts? 250 watts will climb a 22 percent grade yes it may take some effort but unless you want a e motorcycle its plenty. my wife and I on our 250 watt mid drive tandem can climb almost anything. bigger motor needs bigger batteries causing a lot more weight and drive chain wear.
Old 01-07-23, 02:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Obviously you haven't looked at any specs or ridden them. 250 watts is nonimal power, those cheap-o hub drives list their absolute peak power because their motors are less powerful and less efficient. The peak power is the worst way to list a motor but without it those motors don't really look that great.

Yes more torque isn't so bad but at 85NM my Bosch motor is plenty powerful. If they end up making one with 100+ not opposed at all but not having issues with my current motor
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 03:40 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Obviously you haven't looked at any specs or ridden them. 250 watts is nonimal power, those cheap-o hub drives list their absolute peak power because their motors are less powerful and less efficient. The peak power is the worst way to list a motor but without it those motors don't really look that great.

Yes more torque isn't so bad but at 85NM my Bosch motor is plenty powerful. If they end up making one with 100+ not opposed at all but not having issues with my current motor
Bosch could so easily make that off road bike more powerful. They certainly have the technology. Check out the new Generation 3 mid drive motors from CYC, Photon, Stealth, and Pro with up to 250 NM. They have state of the art torque sensing pedal assist plus a throttle. An installation kit with everything except battery and charger for $850 to $1150. Install one of these in the mountain bike of your choice for much less then a production e mountain bike.

I have a new Gen 3 Stealth installed in a Jamis Coda Sport Hybrid. With 3 levels of torque sensing pedal assist, I can choose exactly how hard I work. I’m almost 65 and it will let me easily pedal up the steepest hills.

Later this year, A 5,000 watt controller will be available for the Pro which will allow up to 65mph off-road. Pair this with a used high end full suspension mountain bike and one would have quite an entertaining dirt bike.

It is up to each one of us to maintain a safe and controllable speed on or off road. It is not the government’s business. Their are 150mph capable cars all over the roads that stay within the speed limit.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-07-23, 04:37 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts

ya more toque is not bad but still. it takes me putting out about 520 watts to max out my motor.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 01-07-23, 07:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Bosch could so easily make that off road bike more powerful. They certainly have the technology. Check out the new Generation 3 mid drive motors from CYC, Photon, Stealth, and Pro with up to 250 NM. They have state of the art torque sensing pedal assist plus a throttle. An installation kit with everything except battery and charger for $850 to $1150. Install one of these in the mountain bike of your choice for much less then a production e mountain bike.

I have a new Gen 3 Stealth installed in a Jamis Coda Sport Hybrid. With 3 levels of torque sensing pedal assist, I can choose exactly how hard I work. I’m almost 65 and it will let me easily pedal up the steepest hills.

Later this year, A 5,000 watt controller will be available for the Pro which will allow up to 65mph off-road. Pair this with a used high end full suspension mountain bike and one would have quite an entertaining dirt bike.

It is up to each one of us to maintain a safe and controllable speed on or off road. It is not the government’s business. Their are 150mph capable cars all over the roads that stay within the speed limit.
Oh this is a bike forum. I don't want a throttle, I am sure mopeds are good for some but not for me and not a bike. Also no need for that kind of ridiculous speed off-road unless it is a specific dirt bike track for actual motorcycles.

Unfortunately while yes we should maintain a safe speed anywhere we also don't really need a bicycle going above 28mph and we don't need throttled vehicles on any bike paths or multi use paths.
Old 01-07-23, 08:33 PM
vonfilm 

Oh this is a bike forum. I don't want a throttle, I am sure mopeds are good for some but not for me and not a bike. Also no need for that kind of ridiculous speed off-road unless it is a specific dirt bike track for actual motorcycles.

Unfortunately while yes we should maintain a safe speed anywhere we also don't really need a bicycle going above 28mph and we don't need throttled vehicles on any bike paths or multi use paths.
Professional downhill mountain bikes routinely reach 40 miles an hour and more. Bicycle road racing descents can reach 60 miles an hour. I was coasting downhill on city streets at over 30 mph earlier today. Last week an Onyx Ebike was going uphill right alongside my car at 45 mph uphill.

No one will force you to have a throttle on your bike.

It is not about what is needed. It is about what each individual wants to achieve.

Americans will not be content with being limited to Class I, II, III ebikes.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-07-23, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Professional downhill mountain bikes routinely reach 40 miles an hour and more. Bicycle road racing descents can reach 60 miles an hour. I was coasting downhill on city streets at over 30 mph earlier today. Last week an Onyx Ebike was going uphill right alongside my car at 45 mph uphill.

No one will force you to have a throttle on your bike.

It is not about what is needed. It is about what each individual wants to achieve.

Americans will not be content with being limited to Class I, II, III ebikes.
Yes during a race on a closed course with professionals. That has no bearing here. Going that fast on a local trail is wrong unless it is for motorcycles. Going downhill yes you can go fast we know that but doing that on bike paths and MUPs and things like that is also wrong. If you want to ride your motorcycle on the road at 60 miles an hour that is fine, it is a road go nuts but places specifically for pedestrians/bicycles don't need any sort of speed like that.

A throttled vehicle is not a bike it is called a moped. Mopeds are fine on the road but again not useful on MUPS and bicycle specific infrastructure, that is the reason people hate e-bikes is they conflate mopeds as e-bikes and then are mad when moped riders are on the paths.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-07-23, 11:47 PM
vonfilm 

Yes during a race on a closed course with professionals. That has no bearing here. Going that fast on a local trail is wrong unless it is for motorcycles. Going downhill yes you can go fast we know that but doing that on bike paths and MUPs and things like that is also wrong. If you want to ride your motorcycle on the road at 60 miles an hour that is fine, it is a road go nuts but places specifically for pedestrians/bicycles don't need any sort of speed like that.

A throttled vehicle is not a bike it is called a moped. Mopeds are fine on the road but again not useful on MUPS and bicycle specific infrastructure, that is the reason people hate e-bikes is they conflate mopeds as e-bikes and then are mad when moped riders are on the paths.
Class II Ebikes have throttles and are legal as bicycle almost everywhere.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-08-23, 12:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Class II Ebikes have throttles and are legal as bicycle almost everywhere.
Class II is not legal almost everywhere in fact is a very grey in a lot of areas and a throttle makes it a moped. They call it an e-bike to confuse but it is really just a low power moped. Bicycles are powered by pedaling a moped has a throttle but can be pedaled.
Old 01-08-23, 04:07 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
In more than half of the US, Class 2 bikes are classified as bicycles BY STATE LAW and legal on all bike paths unless specifically prohibited. Anyone who says this isn't true is LYING!
Likes For 2old:
Old 01-08-23, 07:03 PM
vonfilm 

Originally Posted by 2old
In more than half of the US, Class 2 bikes are classified as bicycles BY STATE LAW and legal on all bike paths unless specifically prohibited. Anyone who says this isn't true is LYING!

This is certainly true in Texas where I live.
Don’t fear the throttle.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack