Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn World Value

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-23, 10:22 PM
Samiguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn World Value

TIA for any help!!
I have a Schwinn World bike that I'm in search of information on. Bought it new in the 80's. Front badge says "Chicago Schwinn". Has marking that made in Taiwan for Schwinn. S/N0040796, All my searches have been futile. Can someone be so kind as to the value of this bike! Thanks in advance for any help!
Samiguy
Old 01-04-23, 09:21 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I assume it is a Schwinn World, and not a World Sport, or you would have specified that. There was also a World Tourist. If it is a World, then it is no older than 1983 according the Schwinn catalog search I did. You can locate them here:

https://waterfordbikes.com/w/culture/schwinn-catalogs/

You can quickly find your model based upon color and specifications.

As far as value, the Schwinn World was a decent bike, not a great bike, and most, if not all years was constructed with hi-tensile steel, so it was fairly heavy, upwards of 28 pounds. Some years it had steel wheels, some it had alloy, also impacting weight and value.

The value of your bike will depend on a number of things including condition, frame size and the market you are in.
Old 01-04-23, 09:25 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
This document also might prove useful in deciphering the serial number:

https://thirtythree.org/projects-unc...n%20Frames.pdf
Old 01-08-23, 10:46 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Schwinn World was really low end. In a great market, in great condition, maybe you could get $100. In an average market, in great condition, maybe $50.

Great condition = newish tires (old tires are no good), no rust on bike, no rust on cables, everything works, clean, recent maintenance. Stuff ages even on bikes that are never ridden: tires, brake pads, anything with grease.

In less than pristine condition, in an average market, its something to donate and move on.

Passed on a Trek 700 hybrid yesterday for $20.....

Don't know how great your market is? Do a search on FB marketplace of the competition (other bikes for sale). See what people want $100 for. See if there are any $25 bikes that aren't Walmart level stuff.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-08-23 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-08-23, 10:03 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Schwinn World. An inexpensive humble bike. Never made in the US AFAIK. It was the bike that Schwinn had made off shore in Taiwan or Japan. All Schwinn Worlds had very nice lugged steel frames. Most had good quality alloy wheels. The quality was so much better than what was produced in the USA that Schwinn went out of business soon after it was introduced. US manufacturers could no longer produce high quality items at low enough prices to compete with Asian rivals.