Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

DT Swiss wheel upgrade?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

DT Swiss wheel upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 09:41 AM
LarryMelman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
DT Swiss wheel upgrade?

I am a weekend club level cyclist. A C-level rider, maybe a B for a few miles on a very good day. I ride about 3000 miles a year. I maintain things when truly needed, not on a regular schedule. For example, my current wheels are low-end Reynolds alloy bought in 2015, the hubs/bearings have never been maintained, and the freehub body serviced only twice. There's nothing wrong with them at all except being almost 8 years old. It's been suggested that I grab a pair of these DTSwiss P1800 wheels with 370 hubs, that the difference would be noticeable. They are about 1600g, comparable to the Reynolds.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/d...0c-108397.html

Not being in an urgent hurry, I spent the last week learning all about DT Swiss and I think this is what I think:

+ A really really good deal.
+ Sooner or later, if I keep this bike, I will need new wheels. Maybe 10 years from now, who knows.
+ Rim brake wheels are getting harder and harder to find.
+ Good quality and support/parts availabilty.

- In 2022, the 370 was upgraded to use the star-ratchet system that their better hubs use, however DT Swiss says they haven't yet used it in any road wheels. So these wheels have the 370 with the old 3-pawl freehub. Should I care about that? Is it "good enough" or are there reliability/service issues with it?
- Possibly very very loud.

For $100 more, Merlin has the next step up, the PR1600 wheel with the 350 hub using the star-ratchet system. Again probably the older 350 before the recent minor update. The star-ratchet is said to be much better (is that true in a way that I would actually notice?), however some online say that it must be taken apart once or twice a year and the ratchets cleaned and greased. Is that really really true?

If you have experience with any of this stuff, I would like to hear from you.
Old 02-08-23, 10:33 PM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
(I posted this to the Road forum, it got no replies and very few views. I haven't posted much here in several years, but I'm very surprised. I am reposting it here, which seems like bad form and I apologize if so.)

I am a weekend club level cyclist. A C-level rider, maybe a B for a few miles on a very good day. I ride about 3000 miles a year. I maintain things when truly needed, not on a regular schedule. For example, my current wheels are low-end Reynolds alloy bought in 2015, the hubs/bearings have never been maintained, and the freehub body serviced only twice. There's nothing wrong with them at all except being almost 8 years old. It's been suggested that I grab a pair of these DTSwiss P1800 wheels with 370 hubs, that the difference would be noticeable. They are about 1600g, comparable to the Reynolds.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/d...0c-108397.html

Not being in an urgent hurry, I spent the last week learning all about DT Swiss and I think this is what I think:

+ A really really good deal.
+ Sooner or later, if I keep this bike, I will need new wheels. Maybe 10 years from now, who knows.
+ Rim brake wheels are getting harder and harder to find.
+ Good quality and support/parts availabilty.

- In 2022, the 370 was upgraded to use the star-ratchet system that their better hubs use, however DT Swiss says they haven't yet used it in any road wheels. So these wheels have the 370 with the old 3-pawl freehub. Should I care about that? Is it "good enough" or are there reliability/service issues with it?
- Possibly very very loud.

For $100 more, Merlin has the next step up, the PR1600 wheel with the 350 hub using the star-ratchet system. Again probably the older 350 before the recent minor update. The star-ratchet is said to be much better (is that true in a way that I would actually notice?), however some online say that it must be taken apart once or twice a year and the ratchets cleaned and greased. Is that really really true?

If you have experience with any of this stuff, I would like to hear from you.
If you’re going to keep the bike and wheels for 10 years, the extra $10/year for the 350’s is a no brainer.
Likes For force10:
Old 02-08-23, 10:50 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I saw this thread in the other forum and refrained from commenting because there really wasn't much to say: it's a quality wheel at a good price. You've done more research than most with respect to the hub question; I just knew the 350 was lighter than the 240 240 was lighter and most people perhaps feel it's not enough to justify the cost difference.

With so many people going disc and/or carbon, there's probably just not a lot of enthusiasm or strong opinion about a standard alloy clincher wheelset.

If I were in the market for an alloy rim brake wheelset I'd think these would be a fine choice. However at 1600g my enthusiasm is dampened a bit as I think <1500g is what I'd ideally want.

Last edited by tFUnK; 02-23-23 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-08-23, 10:51 PM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by force10
If you’re going to keep the bike and wheels for 10 years, the extra $10/year for the 350’s is a no brainer.
Do they really need to be disassembled and cleaned and greased twice a year? Even if it's easy, I can't see myself doing it. I made the mistake a few years ago of buying a low-end set of Mavic wheels in which the freehub bushing had to be lubed every 2000 miles or so, or it would squeal like a little girl. I don't want to make that mistake again.
Old 02-09-23, 07:29 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
My recommendation is spend the extra 100 bucks and get the wheels with the 350 hubs. I have been using them for 3 seasons and are simply the best hub I have used. I am so convinced of this that I put my son on a set of 350 hubs. He is a 245 pound sprinter and was blowing out pawls within a year on everything he tried. 2.5 seasons in and the 350 hubs are going strong.
As for maintenance, if you are mountain biking I strongly recommend cleaning and greasing the ratchet once or twice a season. It is smart preventative maintenance and super super super easy to do. On my road bike after the first season I took the ratchet apart and it was clean as a whistle. Only rode in the rain twice, however there was no dirt or water in there. I took it apart last season and again it was clean as a whistle. I greased it anyway both times as why not since it is apart. Again, it is incredibly simple to do and takes but a few minutes to complete the task.
Old 02-09-23, 08:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
I just knew the 350 was lighter than the 240 and most people perhaps feel it's not enough to justify the cost difference.
I'm sure this is just a typo, but the 240s is the lighter hubset.

Do they really need to be disassembled and cleaned and greased twice a year?
I haven't touched my DTS 350 hubs in four years/13k+ miles and they are running perfectly.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-09-23, 09:50 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I've built up a couple wheelsets with the DT 350 hubs. They are lovely wheels. I probably opted for a little lighter weight rim, and spokes than the set you reference, since these were for disk brake bikes, but otherwise, similar. I think, these were a little less freely spinning bearing in the first 100 or so miles than other premium hubs, but after those initial miles, they have been everything you'd want in a wheel. I've done no service in them, though the one bike only has 1500 miles on it. Think they used to be a little noisier, but I don't hear them at all any more. Like the hubs, no complaints.
Old 02-09-23, 08:02 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I’ve been eye balling those for one of my bikes for a while now, but honestly would prolly go Campy Zonda or the next one down. Campy Scirocco. About the same price and lighter. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-09-23, 08:53 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Do they really need to be disassembled and cleaned and greased twice a year? Even if it's easy, I can't see myself doing it. I made the mistake a few years ago of buying a low-end set of Mavic wheels in which the freehub bushing had to be lubed every 2000 miles or so, or it would squeal like a little girl. I don't want to make that mistake again.
Anything by DT Swiss is better than anything by Mavic.

Requiring a freehub bushing lube every 2000 miles is ridiculous.

1600g for an alloy set at that price is pretty damn good. If you really need something lighter than that, these are a great bang for the buck:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Wheel-Set.html
Old 02-10-23, 08:24 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.

Old 02-10-23, 10:23 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I doubt there are many people out there disassembling and servicing their hubs twice a year. I know people who have DT 350 hubs and they can barely be bothered to clean their bikes and lube their chains, so there's no way they're doing this, and to my knowledge they have no problems.

If I were you I'd go with the 350 hubs. That said, I don't think these wheels would provide any noticeable upgrade from what you have now.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-10-23, 02:32 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

My only objection to DT Swiss hubs is they have an alloy freehub. For strong or heavy riders, they can be gouged by your cassette and good luck removing that sucker.
Old 02-10-23, 05:50 PM
TiHabanero

The DT 350 hub uses a steel cassette body, at least up to 2020 they did. Maybe they changed it, but maybe they didn't.
Old 02-10-23, 06:29 PM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by Lombard
My only objection to DT Swiss hubs is they have an alloy freehub. For strong or heavy riders, they can be gouged by your cassette and good luck removing that sucker.
My Reynolds wheels have an alloy freehub and it was quite gouged up when I removed the cassette recently. Pics here: https://www.bikeforums.net/22786884-post4.html
A couple light taps from behind loosened it up pretty easily.
Old 02-10-23, 06:32 PM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I don't think these wheels would provide any noticeable upgrade from what you have now.
I can't really see how they would either. A tech with no dog in the fight said that the 2012 vintage Reynolds Solitude SE's I'm on now are (his words) like a Yugo and the DT Swiss P1800 would be like a Mustang. But they are comparable weight and they are both... well.. round.

I'm viewing them as more of an investment for when the Reynolds wear out somehow. Whenever that might happen. If they ever did. And if I was not wanting or needing to buy a new bike when that happened.

Last edited by LarryMelman; 02-10-23 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 07:05 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The DT 350 hub uses a steel cassette body, at least up to 2020 they did. Maybe they changed it, but maybe they didn't.
Good to know! Most of their other hubs have had an alloy cassette body for quite some time. I was of the impression that the only hubs that didn't have an alloy cassette body are Shimano and White Industries. Granted there are a few hubs that have alloy with "anti-bite" splines.
Old 02-10-23, 10:41 PM
LarryMelman

For the current 350,
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/component.../hubs-road/350
says the freehub body is

Shim. RD. 11SP Light (ASL11)

Milled aluminum freehub body for Shimano 11-speed road cassettes.
Old 02-10-23, 11:12 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I doubt there are many people out there disassembling and servicing their hubs twice a year. I know people who have DT 350 hubs and they can barely be bothered to clean their bikes and lube their chains, so there's no way they're doing this, and to my knowledge they have no problems.

If I were you I'd go with the 350 hubs. That said, I don't think these wheels would provide any noticeable upgrade from what you have now.
True. However, servicing the ratchets on DT/Swiss hubs is nothing like "disassembling and servicing" hubs. You don't even have to - or want to - remove the cassette! (I'd clean it though.) Just pull off the right dust cap and/or just pull on the cassette and the freehub body comes right off, exposing the ratchets and springs. Clean everything up, apply DT ratchet grease and you're done! It doesn't get much easier than that. DT/Swiss has a winner here with their stout design and ultra-simple ratchet service.

(Full disclosure: my Hugi hubs on my '93 road tandem have NEVER been serviced! Somehow I've just avoided working on them at all. I'm truly embarrassed to admit this. The bike doesn't have THAT much mileage on it, but still. 30 years? Bearings smooth as silk, freehub never skipped, ever. That's absurd. So no, annual full hub maintenance is not necessary.)

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 02-10-23 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 11:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
I can't really see how they would either. A tech with no dog in the fight said that the 2012 vintage Reynolds Solitude SE's I'm on now are (his words) like a Yugo and the DT Swiss P1800 would be like a Mustang. But they are comparable weight and they are both... well.. round.
One more vote for the PR 1600 with the 350 hubs, even though the photos show the older 18T version of the 350 freehub, rather than the current 36T version.

DT Swiss PR 1600 Spline 23 Clincher Road Wheelset - 700c | Merlin Cycles

The Yugo vs. Mustang analogy is inapt. Your vintage Reynolds Solitude SE wheels have an external width of 18 mm (so their internal width is likely only 13 mm) and are designed for 23 mm wide tires, whereas the new DT Swiss wheels you are looking at have an internal width of 18 mm and are designed for 25 mm wide tires. Even with the same tires mounted, the actual tire width on the wider DT Swiss wheels would be wider, and thus more comfortable, and comfortable is faster.
Old 02-11-23, 06:02 AM
TiHabanero

So it seems the freehub body has changed to aluminum. Not a deal breaker for me at least because the hub is so darned good! My 350 hub has the 18t engagement and has not presented any issues with lag. My son changed his to the 36t engagement and he did say when sprinting it makes a real difference for him.
Either way it is an excellent hub and filled with superbe (pun intended) engineering that has set the standard for the rest of the industry, which is starting to take notice and copy them.
Old 02-11-23, 09:35 AM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Your vintage Reynolds Solitude SE wheels have an external width of 18 mm (so their internal width is likely only 13 mm) and are designed for 23 mm wide tires
And just barely so. It is a battle royale to get 23mm Gatorskins on and off them. I bought a set of GP5000's recently and I fear I simply won't be able to get them on at all.

Your vintage Reynolds Solitude SE wheels have an external width of 18 mm

I wonder how you know that.
Do you have specs on these wheels? As I wrote in the other thread, when I wrote to Reynolds/Hayes recently asking for parts info, they had almost nothing except the freehub body/endcap kit. They were a one-time thing, sold only at Performance. The Hayes website has a spreadsheet of Reynolds parts info back to 2013... the Solitude alloy wheel is listed only through 2014, and the SE not at all.
After I bought the SE's, I wrote to ask how they differed from the Solitude and only got vague things like "there isn’t much difference... other than a slight difference in weight... the rim is a little different than what Reynolds used for 2013 model year". If you have more detailed info, I'd like to have it to file away.

whereas the new DT Swiss wheels you are looking at have an internal width of 18 mm and are designed for 25 mm wide tires. Even with the same tires mounted, the actual tire width on the wider DT Swiss wheels would be wider, and thus more comfortable, and comfortable is faster.
That's another factor in their favor to be sure.

Last edited by LarryMelman; 02-11-23 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 11:59 AM
LarryMelman

Originally Posted by Lombard
these are a great bang for the buck:
https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Wheel-Set.html
Well that opens a new can of worms. BWW and their private-label "Blackset" rims and "Pure" hubs, the actual manufacturers of these parts not stated, so it's been discussed in various threads but never actually figured out.

Of course I could say the same about my current wheels which are branded Reynolds but I have no idea who really made what.
Old 02-11-23, 02:56 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

So it seems the freehub body has changed to aluminum. Not a deal breaker for me at least because the hub is so darned good! My 350 hub has the 18t engagement and has not presented any issues with lag. My son changed his to the 36t engagement and he did say when sprinting it makes a real difference for him.
Either way it is an excellent hub and filled with superbe (pun intended) engineering that has set the standard for the rest of the industry, which is starting to take notice and copy them.
If you are slight and not a very strong rider, you shouldn't have a problem with an alloy freehub body. If you weigh over 200lbs or are a very strong rider, your cassette will gouge the freehub body.

I built up a set of wheels with White Industry W11 hubs. They have a 48t engagement. I cannot say these are any real advantage over Shimano 18t engagement hubs unless you have these on a mountain bike with ultra-low gearing. A big nothingburger IMO. The only thing I really noticed is that WI hubs have a noisier freehub than Shimano.
Old 02-21-23, 11:26 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Do they really need to be disassembled and cleaned and greased twice a year? Even if it's easy, I can't see myself doing it.

My Reynolds wheels have an alloy freehub and it was quite gouged up when I removed the cassette recently. A couple light taps from behind loosened it up pretty easily.
They don't need to be greased twice a year...but even if they did, it's easier than removing a cassette.
Old 02-22-23, 02:51 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
When I upgraded my Salsa Warbird Carbon 105 to the DT Swiss 1400's carbon wheels from its original 1800's that was quite a change. I took the old wheels and put them on my son's bike and there was a difference but not as much. Granted this is with the newer disc wheels so YMMV but the 1800's don't cost a lot and if you have "cheap" wheels you will feel a difference maybe 1-2mph faster for same effort especially at higher speeds. The biggest difference IMHO isn't necessarily the lighter rims as the weight isn't exactly super light, but the low resistance hubs. But definitely worth it to go from cheap wheels to the 1800's IMHO especially since they don't cost a lot. It never pays to spend a lot of money to upgrade an older bike, just like cars as you can spend almost the same amount of money to get a more modern bike with far better specs. At this price point you're still on the value side of the equation. I say do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.