Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fairdale Single Speeds

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Fairdale Single Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 02:34 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Fairdale Single Speeds

Wondering how many on the forum own a Fairdale, specifically single speed, but if you own a geared Fairdale, chime in also. I noticed them a few years ago and they seem to be a niche brand that offers some fun and not so expensive rideable bikes.

They have one called Express which although it is made of 1020 steel, looks rather nice and practical.

So anyway, just curious what others might say.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-06-23, 04:53 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Never ridden one.

I think they’re pretty steep for what they are.

For hardly anymore money you can get one of the bikes direct single speeds.
Old 02-06-23, 09:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Just FYI 1020 is cheap hi-ten steel. It does have nice for the frame components compared to other options but I would rather for the same price get a State 4130 which has a better frame more worthy of upgraded components.

Hi-ten under $300 is fine but over that is a bit pricey unless something really super special which Fairdale is not. Nothing looks of bad quality from them but nothing super exciting. The Taj is a fun little big boi BMX and the Spaceship frame isn't bad but I like ti a lot.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-07-23, 07:19 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just FYI 1020 is cheap hi-ten steel. It does have nice for the frame components compared to other options but I would rather for the same price get a State 4130 which has a better frame more worthy of upgraded components.

Hi-ten under $300 is fine but over that is a bit pricey unless something really super special which Fairdale is not. Nothing looks of bad quality from them but nothing super exciting. The Taj is a fun little big boi BMX and the Spaceship frame isn't bad but I like ti a lot.
Yeah, that's why I said "although it is made of 1020 steel". And yes, there are a number of other places where you can get real cromoly for the same price or even cheaper. That's one reason I asked about them. They must have some sort of a fan base out there.
Thanks for the feedback! And yes, the Taj looks like it would be fun, if I were at least 20 years younger.
Old 02-07-23, 09:13 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Fairdale Parser

Edit - FWIW I'm pretty sure 1020 may not even be Hi-Ten
Old 02-07-23, 09:56 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
FWIW I'm pretty sure 1020 may not even be Hi-Ten
High Tensile steel has a yield strength in the range from 50 ksi to 100 ksi, whereas 1020 steel has a yield strength of about 51 ksi, so it falls at the low end of what can be considered Hi-Ten steel.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 02-07-23, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Yeah, that's why I said "although it is made of 1020 steel". And yes, there are a number of other places where you can get real cromoly for the same price or even cheaper. That's one reason I asked about them. They must have some sort of a fan base out there.
Thanks for the feedback! And yes, the Taj looks like it would be fun, if I were at least 20 years younger.
Yeah they probably do have some sort of following but I think I have maybe seen one or two in the wild maybe so not enough to really make me go wow must be awesome.

20 years younger no, big boi BMX is for the adults to help us feel like a kid again without having to go crazy.
Old 02-08-23, 07:15 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yeah they probably do have some sort of following but I think I have maybe seen one or two in the wild maybe so not enough to really make me go wow must be awesome.

20 years younger no, big boi BMX is for the adults to help us feel like a kid again without having to go crazy.
I owned a VooDoo dirt jumper for awhile and can attest to the fun factor. I ended up selling it once the novelty wore off and I realized it would spend most of its time hanging in my garage. Bikes should be ridden, not observed.

There was only one Fairdale for sale in my area and that was probably 5 years ago now. I would have gone and looked at it but it wasn't worth it as it wouldn't have fit.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-08-23, 01:17 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I have a Goodship from a few years ago, which is their Japan-sourced "drawnright" tubing. Aka the good stuff. I know in the last couple years they've reworked their perspectives and sourcing. I have no opinion on the 1020 frame, but my Goodship is the real deal goodness sub20lb roadie. I like the company, but depending on what you're looking for and budget, there might be other options (State?)
Old 02-09-23, 07:22 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by superdex
I have a Goodship from a few years ago, which is their Japan-sourced "drawnright" tubing. Aka the good stuff. I know in the last couple years they've reworked their perspectives and sourcing. I have no opinion on the 1020 frame, but my Goodship is the real deal goodness sub20lb roadie. I like the company, but depending on what you're looking for and budget, there might be other options (State?)
Nice to hear the positive feedback! I should have been more clear in my original post but I really have no desire to go out and purchase one. I am actually looking to thin the herd as many of us are. Mostly pressure from the boss...

But I like to know about brands and that is one I sometimes hear about but really know next to nothing about. It is always helpful to get feedback on a brand, good or bad. Thanks for responding!
Old 02-17-23, 01:18 PM
Nordo

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Fairdale Coaster that I purchased in 2015. I sold it a couple of years later, I wish I had kept it.

Old 02-20-23, 07:25 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Nordo
I had a Fairdale Coaster that I purchased in 2015. I sold it a couple of years later, I wish I had kept it.

Nice, clean no-nonsense bike. Are there better out there? Sure! But Fairdale seems to offer solid bikes at reasonable prices. Again, probably will never own one, but never say never I'm told.

P.S. In a lot of ways that bike reminds me of my first one. Not the same details, but the same vibe.
Old 09-28-23, 05:31 PM
rhw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as

Originally Posted by Nordo
Did you have any rattles from the coaster hub? Mine rattles like crazy and it drives me nuts. Dismantled it a million times, took it to bike shops, talked to Fairdale themselves. No solution. Bike shops told me it's normal that the parts inside, the brake pads rattle because they're not fixed. They're only pressed against the inside of the hub when you brake. So when you're not braking, the pads are loose. I still can't believe the rattle is normal.
Old 09-28-23, 05:55 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by rhw
Did you have any rattles from the coaster hub? Mine rattles like crazy and it drives me nuts. Dismantled it a million times, took it to bike shops, talked to Fairdale themselves. No solution. Bike shops told me it's normal that the parts inside, the brake pads rattle because they're not fixed. They're only pressed against the inside of the hub when you brake. So when you're not braking, the pads are loose. I still can't believe the rattle is normal.
If the hub isn't packed with thick grease, do so. Also, if I remember correctly (haven't disassembled a coaster brake since the '60s, probably), there should be a spring clip holding the brake pads in place, at least in the coaster hubs I was familiar with.
Old 09-29-23, 12:52 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by rhw
It shouldn’t rattle.
But without the bike in hand it’s difficult to assess.
Loose cones, loose or messed up reaction arm or mount, dry hubs, broken spring inside the clutch as mentioned above, maybe the cage is broken to some of the bearings, snap ring is off allowing cog to rattle? Just complete guesses.

It could just be either a bad bike mechanic or just that it was going to cost them more time than they thought it was worth.
Old 09-29-23, 01:33 PM
rhw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
It shouldn’t rattle.
But without the bike in hand it’s difficult to assess.
Loose cones, loose or messed up reaction arm or mount, dry hubs, broken spring inside the clutch as mentioned above, maybe the cage is broken to some of the bearings, snap ring is off allowing cog to rattle? Just complete guesses.

It could just be either a bad bike mechanic or just that it was going to cost them more time than they thought it was worth.
Thanks for the reply!

It was overhauled once by a bike mechanic and it was dismantled and put together again a dozen of times by me. I am not a mechanic myself, but still . I've even bought a new internal kit and changed everything inside. Tried 2 types of grease. Nothing. I got the bike because of the simplicity and minimal moving parts that could go wrong lol. I got to a point where I gave up.
I will try to find another mechanic. I don't believe either that this rattle is normal and you just gave me another affirmation.
Old 09-29-23, 02:19 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by rhw
Thanks for the reply!

It was overhauled once by a bike mechanic and it was dismantled and put together again a dozen of times by me. I am not a mechanic myself, but still . I've even bought a new internal kit and changed everything inside. Tried 2 types of grease. Nothing. I got the bike because of the simplicity and minimal moving parts that could go wrong lol. I got to a point where I gave up.
I will try to find another mechanic. I don't believe either that this rattle is normal and you just gave me another affirmation.
Could it be something else? Loose hub flange? Broken spoke? Loose rack or reflector?

It’s an audible sound and not something you’re feeling through the pedals? Like messed up BB bearings?