Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1971 Schwinn Super Sport value and questions

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1971 Schwinn Super Sport value and questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 01:05 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 267 Posts
The yellow 71 is shown after substituting a saddle & pedals more appropriate for a 14 Y.O. Don
Old 10-26-18, 05:56 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts

'73 blasted and powdercoated.
Replaced the crank, derailers and shifters, seatpost and collar.
Removed the kickstand and added V/O fenders and Dia-Compe front rack. @oddjob2 nailed it: it's not a Corvette or even a Chevelle; it's a Cadillac.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 02-07-23, 10:12 AM
AMFentress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This bike is beautiful, very, very classy. A stronglight 93 just pimps out a bike nicely.

What is that black component on your front fork? I just bought a Super sport and it came with one of those
Old 02-07-23, 10:18 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by AMFentress
What is that black component on your front fork? I just bought a Super sport and it came with one of those
None of the bikes pictured above are mine. I did end up buying Sport Tourer sometime after I posted this thread:

Old 02-07-23, 12:20 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
None of the bikes pictured above are mine. I did end up buying Sport Tourer sometime after I posted this thread:

So what is your verdict on the bike? Build quality? Ride? I've never had the opportunity to ride one but the vintage LeTour I owned for awhile was a great ride. One of the most comfortable I've owned. Sadly it had to go.
Old 02-07-23, 12:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
So what is your verdict on the bike? Build quality? Ride? I've never had the opportunity to ride one but the vintage LeTour I owned for awhile was a great ride. One of the most comfortable I've owned. Sadly it had to go.
I think it's an impressive bike that shows off, for better or worse, the Schwinn DNA.

First, it's a bit of tank since it is made of slightly oversized plain gauge chrome moly (29.5 mm) and the joints which are fillet brazed are reinforced by an internal sleeve. The bike was built to last.

Second, the gearing is really smart. It may have the widest range gearing of any production 10 speed ever made (54/40 rings and a 5 speed 14-34 freewheel). It has a top gear of 104 inches and a low of 31.8 inches. You can climb some serious hills on this bike. The gearing is considerably wider than the alpine gearing you saw on so many bikes BITD (52/42 rings and 14/28 rings). Plus there is a plate between the 54 and 40 rings that helps shifting. Shifting isn't bad by 70s standards with the Shimano Crane RD.

Third, the bike is designed to be ridden on the tops with a comfy saddle, stem shifters, and turkey levers. It was clearly designed for people who had little experience riding drop bars. I like the ride. It's on the slow side but you can sit up nice and high and watch the world.

Fourth, the bike has parts from different manufacturers all over the world which is also pretty typical of Schwinn at that time.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-07-23 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For bikemig: