Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pinarello Montello

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 06:29 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylinechili
Update, I did receive an offer of 1200 Euro for the frame. Based off other's who have commented, I should take that offer and sell the other components on Ebay? Thanks
Good deal! Now I have a starting point for pricing mine!
Old 02-21-22, 09:49 PM
Elkfart179

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skylinechili
I don't know anything about the internal rear brakes on these bikes and I'm not sure the exact year it was built but it was no later than 1988.

Why would paint or decals deteriorate just hanging in a storage room for 30+ years?
Paint, and especially decals, can pick up trace amounts of acidic chemicals from the air, and fade, or yellow, over time. extremes of heat, cold, & humidity can accelerate the process. New decals can be found online, to replace old ones.
Old 02-21-22, 10:46 PM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Elkfart179
Paint, and especially decals, can pick up trace amounts of acidic chemicals from the air, and fade, or yellow, over time. extremes of heat, cold, & humidity can accelerate the process. New decals can be found online, to replace old ones.
If I may add, having touched quite a few Pinarellos from this era, not just the Montello, Pinarello paint quality was not very high. The bikes coming out of Japan at the time were of higher quality. I think the main issue with these Montellos is that it is very difficult to get good adhesion to the base chrome finish. Today it is much easier with paint and primers designed chemically to bond to the chrome but back in the mid-80s to early 90s, this was more art than science and sometimes they got it better than usual and sometimes they didn't. I think my bike is one of the ones they got it better on. I've owned it since the early 2000s and it is now stored in a climate-controlled area but even when I originally purchased it, it showed very little degradation to the paint and decals. I've seen so many where the decals have completely flaked off. That is easily fixed with new decals that fit right in the voids left by the missing decals. But the frames that I have seen where the clear coat a/o paint is flaking off have no other option but a respray. That's the other paint issue, bonding of the clear coat to the base coat. You'll see frames with the base coat still intact but the clear coat has separated and flaked off.
Old 02-22-22, 09:21 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
If I may add, having touched quite a few Pinarellos from this era, not just the Montello, Pinarello paint quality was not very high. The bikes coming out of Japan at the time were of higher quality. I think the main issue with these Montellos is that it is very difficult to get good adhesion to the base chrome finish. Today it is much easier with paint and primers designed chemically to bond to the chrome but back in the mid-80s to early 90s, this was more art than science and sometimes they got it better than usual and sometimes they didn't. I think my bike is one of the ones they got it better on. I've owned it since the early 2000s and it is now stored in a climate-controlled area but even when I originally purchased it, it showed very little degradation to the paint and decals. I've seen so many where the decals have completely flaked off. That is easily fixed with new decals that fit right in the voids left by the missing decals. But the frames that I have seen where the clear coat a/o paint is flaking off have no other option but a respray. That's the other paint issue, bonding of the clear coat to the base coat. You'll see frames with the base coat still intact but the clear coat has separated and flaked off.
It wasn't just Pinarellos that had "quick release" paint and decals in the 80's. I still remember the brand new Ciocc and Bottecchia framsets hanging from the celings of our LBS, literally raining paint and decal flakes on my brother and I with the slightest touch. I guess it was kind of a typical Italian bike thing......
Old 02-23-22, 12:29 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
It wasn't just Pinarellos that had "quick release" paint and decals in the 80's. I still remember the brand new Ciocc and Bottecchia framesets hanging from the ceilings of our LBS, literally raining paint and decal flakes on my brother and I with the slightest touch. I guess it was kind of a typical Italian bike thing......
I never had a chance to see those frame makers growing up. The bike shop that I used back in the day, which is still around by the way, stocked frames from Zullo (very nice paint), Picchio (very nice paint), and Tommasini (excellent paint but painted in the US). He also sold Quattro Assi but those frames were for the most part manufactured in the US and had excellent paint as well (I still have a few). I do have a Tommasini-built QA steel frame that I was going to restore but just haven't got around to it. The paint seems to have been of good quality but it had a hard life, so who knows for sure. Every now and then he'd get in a special order from some other Italian maker but not often enough for me to judge the paint quality.
Old 02-24-22, 11:02 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
I never had a chance to see those frame makers growing up. The bike shop that I used back in the day, which is still around by the way, stocked frames from Zullo (very nice paint), Picchio (very nice paint), and Tommasini (excellent paint but painted in the US). He also sold Quattro Assi but those frames were for the most part manufactured in the US and had excellent paint as well (I still have a few). I do have a Tommasini-built QA steel frame that I was going to restore but just haven't got around to it. The paint seems to have been of good quality but it had a hard life, so who knows for sure. Every now and then he'd get in a special order from some other Italian maker but not often enough for me to judge the paint quality.
I think when Ten Speed Drive became the distributor of a number Italian brands in the US, they did improve on the paint and decal quality on the bikes because the finishing was done in the US..... but the ones coming straight from Italy painted, retained their "quick release" properties....
Old 01-27-23, 11:36 AM
BMC_Kid 

Finished building my Montello up. Posted in another thread but thought it would be good to add a photo here as well.

Old 01-27-23, 12:28 PM
Random Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Looks great!