Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oversized bolts and Record crank arms.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 11:36 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts

I made the mistake of assuming that the Record crank arms on my PX-10 would have been fixed to the bb spindle with typical Campy 15 mm bolts. And so I scored a peanut butter wrench off eBay.
​​​​
Pretty wrench. However, my excitement to test fit it turned fell flat when I realized that it didn't fit the bolts on the crank. It fits into threaded cavity of the arms, just not over the bolt heads.

The Peugeot originally had a Stronglight 105 crank fitted to a Stronglight Competition bb. It looks like the previous owner swapped the Campy arms directly into the Stronglight bb and used the French fixing bolts.

​​​​
Seems like these are 16 mm bolt heads. I don't know how they managed to get screwed into such a tight space, but they did. I have a 16 mm socket that I filed down several years ago to remove 16 mm bolts from a Nevar crank. And while that operation was successful, that same socket is too wide for the Campy arms. I think, and I hope that with some additional filing, I might be able to make that socket fit. t's worth a try.

If things go well, I'll be looking forward to changing the bolts out for an appropriate pair in 15 mm. Then at least I'll finally get to use this pretty wrench.

Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 11-18-22, 12:17 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Blues
I made the mistake of assuming that the Record crank arms on my PX-10 would have been fixed to the bb spindle with typical Campy 15 mm bolts. And so I scored a peanut butter wrench off eBay.
​​​​
Pretty wrench. However, my excitement to test fit it turned fell flat when I realized that it didn't fit the bolts on the crank. It fits into threaded cavity of the arms, just not over the bolt heads.

The Peugeot originally had a Stronglight 105 crank fitted to a Stronglight Competition bb. It looks like the previous owner swapped the Campy arms directly into the Stronglight bb and used the French fixing bolts.

​​​​
Seems like these are 16 mm bolt heads. I don't know how they managed to get screwed into such a tight space, but they did. I have a 16 mm socket that I filed down several years ago to remove 16 mm bolts from a Nevar crank. And while that operation was successful, that same socket is too wide for the Campy arms. I think, and I hope that with some additional filing, I might be able to make that socket fit. t's worth a try.

If things go well, I'll be looking forward to changing the bolts out for an appropriate pair in 15 mm. Then at least I'll finally get to use this pretty wrench.
So you have some French thread Campy bolts and are sure they will thread into that spindle or?

And I would be happy to spin a socket down on the bench grinder and send it to you if need be.

Hopefully the one you have is robust enough to take down if the bolts are tight, I would get some PB in there preemptively for good measure.

Last edited by merziac; 11-18-22 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 12:23 AM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
So you have some French thread Campy bolts and are sure they will thread into that spindle or?
I'm not aware of bb bolts that are French threaded. Is that actually a thing? I do know that the bolts that my record crank is installed with measure just shy of 16 mm. And I have come across a set of 16 mm bolts in a French crank before.
Old 11-18-22, 01:07 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
I'm not aware of bb bolts that are French threaded. Is that actually a thing? I do know that the bolts that my record crank is installed with measure just shy of 16 mm. And I have come across a set of 16 mm bolts in a French crank before.
No I'm sure you're right and yes I know there are 16 mm bolts, had a set recently that were wedged in where they shouldn't have been and they weren't tight so I got lucky.
Old 11-18-22, 06:33 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
They are all [1] "french" threaded, if you take to usual use of "french" in this parish to mean "metric".

[1] for large values of "all".
Old 11-18-22, 06:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-crankset.html
Old 11-18-22, 06:57 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
Park tools made 16mm crank wrenches, they show up on ebay occasionally. But, the park multi (14,15,16mm) crank wrench will probably not fit.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 11-18-22, 07:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
By the time the Stronglight mod. 105 came out in the early 80s, Stronglight had switched to 14mm mounting bolts and 22mm extractor thread. The previous owner must have decided to unload the old 16mm bolts when selling the bike.

Originally Posted by merziac
Mounting bolt thread is pretty standardized at 8mm x 1mm. The only exception I've run into is early production Lambert, which could be either 5/16" x 26tpi or 5/16" x 22tpi, depending on production run.

And I would be happy to spin a socket down on the bench grinder and send it to you if need be.

Hopefully the one you have is robust enough to take down if the bolts are tight, I would get some PB in there preemptively for good measure.
That's likely what needs to be done, although as you note, the socket will be weakened and may fail if the bolt is seized. In that case, the Park CCW-16 or Zeus "peanut butter" wrenches will work, but both tools have been out of production for decades. An established bike shop may still have one.

Old 11-18-22, 07:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
As a tool grinder with my own shop I have , on occasion, ground hand tools to fit certain applications before I actually bought bicycle tools designed for what I need to do. I have a socket that I cylindrically ground for crank arms and it has held up fine and does a great job even though i now have a Campagnolo peanut butter wrench . I have made cone wrenches to do the hub bearings and they worked very well, but I ended up buying Campagnolo cone wrenches for the job when I saw a good deal on some. There is nothing wrong with modifying a tool if done correctly, mainly not heating up the tool with the grinder and taking material off equally around a 6 point socket. With a universal grinding machine and coolant both can be achieved. I have also modified wrenches for aircraft assembly in major aerospace companies.
Old 11-18-22, 10:04 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
By the time the Stronglight mod. 105 came out in the early 80s, Stronglight had switched to 14mm mounting bolts and 22mm extractor thread. The previous owner must have decided to unload the old 16mm bolts when selling the bike.

-----

Launch annum for the Verot model 104 and 105 chainsets was 1977. This was the time when the range received a reworking with the discontinuance of model 93 and the revision of model 99.

Models 104 and 105 first began coming through on new model 1978 cycles. One such example was the launch of the Peugeot PFN10 bicycle.

-----
Old 11-18-22, 12:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
As a tool grinder with my own shop I have , on occasion, ground hand tools to fit certain applications before I actually bought bicycle tools designed for what I need to do. I have a socket that I cylindrically ground for crank arms and it has held up fine and does a great job even though i now have a Campagnolo peanut butter wrench .
It helps to start with a decent quality socket, i.e. Snap-On, Proto, Mac, USA Craftsman, etc. Cheap sockets are made from lower grade steel; that's why they have thicker walls. A USA Craftsman 15mm socket will fit in the 22mm extractor opening without needing modification; a 16mm socket will not.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-19-22, 01:57 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
DRB,
I ordered a box of 100 8X1mm bolts that are 1mm longer than the Campy bolts. The heads are all 13mm and by adding an additional washer the grip depth is the same. It allow for an easy removal and install with a standard 13mm socket. If you need or want a set let me know and I will put them in the mail. Smiles, MH
Old 11-19-22, 02:31 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I had to ground down a 16mm socket on a bike I bought at a co-op. They put a Shimano crankset onto a Stronglight BB and reused the 16 mm bolts.
Likes For wrk101: