Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Route planning tools that use multiple modes of transport?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 06:43 PM
Liv0life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I'm about to get a bike rack for my car and I'm wondering if there are any tools that take into account switching between car, bike and train to calculate the fastest route. Are there any apps where I can upload optimal routes if I find one? Thanks.
Old 12-19-22, 10:57 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I don't know of any. I've come to like Google Maps very much. I've heard ridewithgps is better for choosing bike routes, but I'm hesitating to learn a new tool, even though I use ridewithgps for recording my rides.

I start out by asking google maps how to get somewhere by mass transit.
1. Notice where it tells me to walk.
2. Let's say it says to walk from A to B, take a train from B to C, and walk from C to D.
3. Make new routes with each of these legs, replacing the walking with cycling.

I currently do A to B and C to D with Citi Bike (the bike share) but one day when I grow up, I might take a folding bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-20-22, 05:16 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Yeah, Google maps comes sort of close but still leaves much to be desired. It shouldn't be that hard to have an option where walking is replaced by biking (or those electric standing scooters) when planning a trip involving public transit.
Old 01-12-23, 08:07 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 40 Posts
Do you have access to an online map of park and ride parking lots in your area? You could look for one that's got bike lanes nearby and pick Train stations that have good ADA accessibility features. I'm still figuring this out myself. we have an organization called Delaware commuter solutions that has an app that is somewhat helpful for trip planning or scheming in my case. I also requested a printed bike map from the state dept of transportation (I believe I had to call instead of do it online) and that has icons of the train stations on it at least but would need to physically mark the park and rides you were considering. when I was in grad school I did something similar where I literally printed the map from Google maps or mapquest maybe and drew a 5 mile radius to figure out the study area I would be responsible for. old school but kind of fun. side note: I heard someone say recently we need to normalize running errands by bike within 2 miles of our homes so I'm kind of curious about what all that would include for me. oh the possibilities. good luck and sorry I don't have a good answer... I'm all ears for a multimodal commute mapping/calculator tool!
Old 01-15-23, 01:45 AM
Liv0life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!