Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Modern 3-speed Hubs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Modern 3-speed Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 01:15 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Modern 3-speed Hubs

May be considering a conversion soon. Not sure if this is the best forum to try, but ...

Have there come to be any new/different/wonderful 3-speed hubs in recent years. Obviously I've not been associated with the scene for some years. Since about1952 or so actually.
So what's hot these days?

TIA
Charlie
Old 02-06-23, 07:25 PM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I like the sturmey archer cs-rf3 or cs-rk3.
Old 02-06-23, 08:47 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I still use the sturmey aw. Tried the newer sturmey archer version but the feel of an old broken in one is better to me.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-06-23, 10:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I posted this recently in the love-of-3-speeds thread, but I’m really liking my relatively new S-A 3-speed hub with coaster brake:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 02-07-23, 12:17 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It seems like they just continue their uninterrupted dominating relevance for city bikes
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 02-07-23, 10:22 AM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Sturmey-Archer SRF3, modern version of the venerable AW, with an alloy shell and without the neutral between gears; wonderful hub.
Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 02-07-23, 10:24 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I posted this recently in the love-of-3-speeds thread, but I’m really liking my relatively new S-A 3-speed hub with coaster brake:
I have wheels coming with a Nexus 8, but that SA is much better-looking.

Old 02-07-23, 11:32 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by rudypyatt
Sturmey-Archer SRF3, modern version of the venerable AW, with an alloy shell and without the neutral between gears; wonderful hub.
That's a beauty! May well be the 3 speed of my dreams.

Many thanks for the info, folks.

Cheers
Charlie
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-07-23, 11:56 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I've got an AW and it works great but, I am itching to try out a newer SRF3. I have sampled a Nexus 3 speed on a share bike and it was, excellent. But I don't know what the drag is on the Nexus 3 compared to an older AW. I have heard good things about the Alfine 8 speed and would love to sample one.

If this is for a bike that already had a AW three speed @Steel Charlie , I would continue using an AW. No worries about trying to make a newer hub with a wider over-lock-nut dimension fit an older frame. Parts are available for the AW, they are simple to rebuild if ever needed and maintenance is a cinch. A couple of drops of oil every now and again and it will last another 50 or more years.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 02-08-23 at 07:52 AM. Reason: To get the right Steel Charlie mentioned (I hope)
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-07-23, 04:54 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I'll admit that the SA 3 speeds look much better than the modern Shimano 3-speeds, which use that bell-crank assembly on the outside of the dropout... but those Shimanos are absolute workhorses on abused European city bikes.
Old 02-07-23, 08:34 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts

The OP mentioned wanting to do a conversion. Here's miine. It’s a BikesDirect Windsor TimeLine single speed that I had my local shop convert to a three speed with an SRF3 hub. It’s inspired by the old British club bikes. Frame and fork are 4130 chromoly. Really fun to ride. Note the location of the shifter.
Likes For rudypyatt:
Old 02-07-23, 11:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by rudypyatt
Agreed, it's like an AW Mk.II (I don't remember offhand if it's just a renamed AW N.I.G. - apologies for that). Have experienced a bajillion of them on the retired Spin Gen 2 share bikes I've worked on.

Also planning on mounting one in place of a rotary Sturmey hub in one of their 90mm drum brake shells. Should be fun; I believe it's a drop-in swap.

-Kurt

Old 02-08-23, 07:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Fun fact: The Sturmey 'rotary shift' three speeds (RS-RF3, introduced in 2006) use an indexed (well, duh!) shifter with different cable pull than the classic Sturmey shifters of the last century. Oh, AND the rotaries are unique among Sturmey hubs with their 3/8 axles, the classics of course are threaded 13/32.

Super fun fact: Sturmey designed the inside-the-dropouts rotary shift hub in 1971, and first marketed it 35 years later.

Last edited by tcs; 02-08-23 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-08-23, 07:54 AM
tcs
Palmer

I'm a fan of the late SRAM i3 hubs. If you do the planetary math they should have 12 planets - but 9 are missing! The planets are arranged asymmetrically and the sun, planets and ring gears all have prime numbers of teeth. It has an amazingly simple inside-the-dropouts shift cable. Debuting in 2009 to replace the venerable T3, the i3 is arguably the most 'modern' three-speed design - the AW-NIG/SRF3 dates to 1984, the Nexus to - hmm - mid 90s?, the MBI to early 2000s?

Boo on SRAM department: there are no spares and no support for this hub, and only a single, miserable twist shifter was ever offered. I still don't get why they just discontinued their hubs in 2017 and dropped IGHs instead of selling the tooling and intellectual property rights to somebody.

Last edited by tcs; 02-08-23 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-08-23, 08:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

IMHO the best modern three-speed hub is the Sturmey-Archer...X-RF4 four speed!

Yep, just like in 1939, when you really wanted the FM or FW instead of the K hub or the AW.

The X-RF4 (introduced around 2015) can be as narrow as the AW (or go out to 135) and uses the same cogs. It has even 28% gear shifts and a 210% total range. It features a strong, modern axle-locking shift mechanism. It comes in a pretty polished shell and is just 80g heavier than the SRF3. Sturmey offers trigger, thumb and twist shifters. It's spec'd by upscale OEMs like BikeFriday and Hummingbird. You can even get it in drum, disk and coaster brake versions.

Fun fact: The folding bike manufacturer Dahon has at various times factory-fitted 3-speeds from Sturmey-Archer, Shimano, SRAM and MBI, and additionally built models with IGHs by Rohloff and NuVinci.

Last edited by tcs; 02-08-23 at 07:19 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-08-23, 07:33 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
I'll admit that the SA 3 speeds look much better than the modern Shimano 3-speeds, which use that bell-crank assembly on the outside of the dropout... but those Shimanos are absolute workhorses on abused European city bikes.
The Nexus is a darn good hub - no debate there.

But you can get spare parts for the Sturmey 3, plus Sturmey offers 'stick shift', two designs of thumb shifters, the classic trigger shifter, a bar end shifter, a braze-on shifter, a seat post shifter (!), a dual paddle shifter and three styles of twist shifters. Sturmey doesn't play games with expensive proprietary lubricants but is honest and open that they use (and you can use) commercial NGLI#00 grease.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-08-23, 08:06 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I still use the sturmey aw. Tried the newer sturmey archer version but the feel of an old broken in one is better to me.
Are you gentle with it? They have a reputation for breaking because of the braking.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 02-09-23, 12:48 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I'm a fan of the late SRAM i3 hubs. If you do the planetary math they should have 12 planets - but 9 are missing! The planets are arranged asymmetrically and the sun, planets and ring gears all have prime numbers of teeth. It has an amazingly simple inside-the-dropouts shift cable. Debuting in 2009 to replace the venerable T3, the i3 is arguably the most 'modern' three-speed design - the AW-NIG/SRF3 dates to 1984, the Nexus to - hmm - mid 90s?, the MBI to early 2000s?

Boo on SRAM department: there are no spares and no support for this hub, and only a single, miserable twist shifter was ever offered. I still don't get why they just discontinued their hubs in 2017 and dropped IGHs instead of selling the tooling and intellectual property rights to somebody.
I have heard/read that the reason that SRAM dropped their line of internally geared hubs is because of the proliferation of people fitting mid-drive electric motors to their bikes and then sending SRAM failed hubs for warranty replacement. I don't know how true that is but, it makes some sense. It is a shame though.

When I was young and car guys were talking about rear end or final drive ratios', I didn't understand until later why they were such odd numbers. Why aren't they 3 to 1. Why are they 3.07? or 3.54? It is so that the gears don't mesh in the same place too often. They have a walking pattern that allows the teeth to wear longer, more evenly and even to survive some damage, if any damage occured in one tooth. I know you know this @tcs , which is why you mention it. I am stating here for others that aren't "in the know" one these details of gearing.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 02-09-23, 02:59 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Are you gentle with it? They have a reputation for breaking because of the braking.
The aw has no brake. I am fairly gentle with them I guess. I don't generally stand to pedal but I do usually gear them fairly low. 2/1. So 42/21 teeth. Gives me 40.5/54/72" gears on a 700c bike. Great for getting around a fairly hilly city.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-09-23, 06:18 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
The aw has no brake. I am fairly gentle with them I guess. I don't generally stand to pedal but I do usually gear them fairly low. 2/1. So 42/21 teeth. Gives me 40.5/54/72" gears on a 700c bike. Great for getting around a fairly hilly city.
My bad, I have TCW III on the brain. it's the bugger with the heart of glass.
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 02-09-23, 07:34 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
My bad, I have TCW III on the brain. it's the bugger with the heart of glass.
That's what I hear. The issue with AW hubs is false neutral when it gets out of adjustment. Honestly they stay good pretty much forever. I've rebuilt them but usually just flush with wd40 and put some oil in and they just go, go, go.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-09-23, 10:18 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
That's what I hear. The issue with AW hubs is false neutral when it gets out of adjustment. Honestly they stay good pretty much forever. I've rebuilt them but usually just flush with wd40 and put some oil in and they just go, go, go.
A properly adjusted AW will hold its adjustment, this is not a safety issue. And you can beat the living hell out of them.

As much as I love and respect the AW and FW, if you’re building a wheel anyway, why not go for more gears? I’m really fond of the Nexus 7 and 8 hubs on two of my bikes. They’re reliable and durable, and the gear steps are well spaced.
Likes For canalligators:
Old 02-09-23, 11:41 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by canalligators
A properly adjusted AW will hold its adjustment, this is not a safety issue. And you can beat the living hell out of them.

As much as I love and respect the AW and FW, if you’re building a wheel anyway, why not go for more gears? I’m really fond of the Nexus 7 and 8 hubs on two of my bikes. They’re reliable and durable, and the gear steps are well spaced.
I build AWs because they sound like adventure awaits... From my childhood when my dad got a 24" wheeled British 3 speed from somewhere. It was in the family bike stable. When I was tall enough for it, it was the coolest bike in the world. Everytime I hear an AW I get that same feeling.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-10-23, 07:10 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by canalligators

Agreed on the Nexus 8 (have yet to try the 7). 1st and 4th through 6th are perfectly spaced. One could make a 5-speed with those ratios and it'd be perfect, but I don't mind the extra ratios that come along with it.

Only quibble with it is how the roller clutches tend to slip occasionally upon engagement of 3rd and 4th (only on engagement) no matter how perfect the cable adjustment and regardless of the internal lubricant. I actually found that good old Sturmey-rated 00 grease tends to work marginally better than Shimano's goop in my particular 8.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 02-10-23 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 02-10-23, 08:16 AM
tcs
Palmer

I build AWs because they sound like adventure awaits...
Yeah, there's no "Society of Nexus 8"

https://societyofthreespeeds.wordpress.com/

or 'Eight-speed Tour'.

https://3speedtour.com/

Riders using the Nexus 8 have never held the Lands End to John o'Groats record, either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.