Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 11-28-18, 02:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
In the event that the sensor happens to be too close to the magnet:

Was your sensor facing forward (as in my photo above)? If so, then the magnet will slide under it.

If the sensor is facing backwards, then the sensor will attempt to slide under the magnet or brute force push it off.

My method worked for years with no issues like yours. There may be one small but significant difference in implementation.
Old 11-28-18, 02:26 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
In the event that the sensor happens to be too close to the magnet:

Was your sensor facing forward (as in my photo above)? If so, then the magnet will slide under it.

If the sensor is facing backwards, then the sensor will attempt to slide under the magnet or brute force push it off.

My method worked for years with no issues like yours. There may be one small but significant difference in implementation.
I think the style of fork makes a big difference. This was on my Fuji Track Elite and not really an issue of the magnet being too close, but of the mount being to precariously attached based on the shape of the fork. I tried attaching the mount in both ways, facing in and out...one way simply is not an option because it is angled out too far and when you attempt to side it closer, it won't stay and is even more precarious. So that left only one method....can't recall...I think it's with the magnet cover facing out. You may indeed have a fork shape that just works better with the mount, which is why you haven't experienced any issues. But after 3 knock offs, I called it quits.
Old 11-28-18, 03:02 PM
JuiceWillis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
That's awesome. I have a few places in my neighborhood where i can ride my track bike. Before I even got on a velodrome, I spend 2 months at a sports complex park a block away that has a giant rectangular 1K bike path in the middle of the field. It worked great and even had a slight bank on one corner, and very importantly, there was grass on the outside, so when I got too fast and road off the path, I didn't kill myself! LOL I would also use one of the long sides as a drag strip and practice standing starts, and was able to get a 300m sprint, finishing in the grass...sort of like track bike meets CX.

I was looking at the Magnus and it appears to be sold out on their site, but they have a newer M2 Smart Trainer, which looks to be the replacement of the Magnus? Same price. I like that they say right in the specs that they are compatible with 120mm.
https://www.cycleops.com/product/m2
Yes that looks like an updated version. All my seated interval stuff is done on it, and it has the ability to adjust to 120mm spacing. I do not have a power meter on my track bike so for dedicated intervals the smart trainer was the way to go. I did attempt standing starts on it once by adding some deck tape to the roller, but the resistance just wasnt high enough even with a 100+ gear on the bike, so all pure sprint stuff i just do outdoors now if its not freezing out.
Old 11-28-18, 03:19 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JuiceWillis
Yes that looks like an updated version. All my seated interval stuff is done on it, and it has the ability to adjust to 120mm spacing. I do not have a power meter on my track bike so for dedicated intervals the smart trainer was the way to go. I did attempt standing starts on it once by adding some deck tape to the roller, but the resistance just wasnt high enough even with a 100+ gear on the bike, so all pure sprint stuff i just do outdoors now if its not freezing out.
That's the beauty of my Wahoo Kickr....no wheel slipping on standing starts...I just have to use my road bike. This is where Carleton comes in with his modified Cycleops Pro 300 spin bike recommendation....still tempting. However, I'm no giant legged sprinter power house, so with my Kreitler rollers and the headwind fan resistance unit, fork stand, and fly wheel, I can easily get to the resistance I need for a standing start simulation. It's just a really space hogging contraption.
Old 11-29-18, 03:38 AM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are two examples from my bikes:

The Zipp 808 front isn't a directional wheel, so I put a magnet on both sides. The sensor is on the left fork arm. This is the right side. So, if I happen to put the wheel on in the opposite direction, there will be a magnet in place.
Very nice set up!
Old 12-08-18, 02:57 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone have a picture of the perkins/perko 33cm carbon sprint bars. They look like a narrower version of the bt sprint bars. Can't for the life of me find a picture of them online.
Old 12-08-18, 09:57 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/20669783-post2230.html

But these are on Glaetzer's bike. I don't think Perkins ever rode anything that was SUPER narrow, at least not before the Brits went super narrow.
Old 12-08-18, 11:33 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I don't believe they were ever really used by Shane Perkins, but believe they were made by someone called Perkins. Possibly related?
Old 12-08-18, 03:42 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskey
So I don't believe they were ever really used by Shane Perkins, but believe they were made by someone called Perkins. Possibly related?
It's Shane's father Darryl who is extremely well known here and well regarded for his hand made Perkin track frames.

Last edited by Dalai; 12-08-18 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-08-18, 11:24 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Anyone have a picture of the perkins/perko 33cm carbon sprint bars. They look like a narrower version of the bt sprint bars. Can't for the life of me find a picture of them online.
Search the FB Trackcycling Marketplace group if you’re on it. A set came up for sale early this year or last year. The ad may still be there
Old 12-09-18, 12:05 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've searched the group's I'm in before and haven't found anything, but I just searched for any other groups I may have missed and an ad came up from late 2015, but only when I searched "Perkin" and not "Perkins" or "Perko" even though those are the words used in the ad.

anyway I have found pictures now. Many thanks!!
Old 12-09-18, 07:29 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've searched the group's I'm in before and haven't found anything, but I just searched for any other groups I may have missed and an ad came up from late 2015, but only when I searched "Perkin" and not "Perkins" or "Perko" even though those are the words used in the ad.

The few people I've talked to that used them have said they were the best bars they've ever used, effectively aero alpinas in regards to dimensions.
I'll try and see how you can get a pair next time I'm out, but from memory there's not that many around
Old 12-12-18, 03:28 PM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

im investigating new frames as the reach on my current bike is not really long enough. I’m already on a 140 stem and I’m still not able to get the position I want.

so looking around at many manufacturers I’m seeing a lot of the top tier frames have quite short reach numbers. The brand S1NEO caught my eye - seems like a lot of bike for the money and has Francois Pervis name attached to the design.

Anyway, look at the attached geometry table. How can their XL frame have such an impossibly short reach? Am I missing something? It doesn’t look like the bike has a bayonet fork so shouldn’t be an offset stem or anything.

Im new to interpreting geometry tables so I might be misunderstanding this but does this bike really have a super short reach?

similar sized look 875 has a reach of 460mm by comparison.
Old 12-12-18, 05:12 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts

I'm curious as to these handlebars, I can''t seem to find a picture of anything "Perkins", "Perkin", or "Perko".
Old 12-12-18, 10:03 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaben

The brand S1NEO caught my eye - seems like a lot of bike for the money and has Francois Pervis name attached to the design.

Anyway, look at the attached geometry table. How can their XL frame have such an impossibly short reach? Am I missing something? It doesn’t look like the bike has a bayonet fork so shouldn’t be an offset stem or anything.

Im new to interpreting geometry tables so I might be misunderstanding this but does this bike really have a super short reach?

My guess is it's going to be in the seat tube and head tube angles for the Sineo - most track frames are 74 deg seat tube, head tube angle depends on the size of the bike a bit. The Sineo has a 75 degree seat tube, and there is a rule of thumb that one degree change in STA or HTA equals one centimetre of reach, so that would (artificially) add to the reach number listed. Also, with a slacker seat tube angle, as the saddle goes up, compared to a bike with a steeper STA, your saddle gets further away from the bars by comparison so that helps lengthen the bike too - they are things that don't really show up on the frame's dimension drawings.

I'm not sure how the head tube angle influences things, perhaps someone more astute with maths could fill that one in.

I have an older Ridley Oval, which is really weird geo wise. I'm 182cm, and the bike has a 54cm top tube, 170mm head tube, and the highest standover of any of my bikes (normally 57-58cm) BUT the bike has a crazy steep head tube, and a 75.5 degree seat tube - with a set back post, it has the same saddle to handlebar distance as my other bikes. I do have a fair bit of seat post out, which puts me further back and increases the effective reach.

My weight is balanced when I'm riding, and because of the weird angles the wheelbase is nice and tight, but the reach number for that frame is about 389 , whereas the reach for my other bikes is comfortably over 410. If I'd measured the bike before I bought it, instead of just test riding it, I might have gone down a different path, especially since I also have a 140mm stem and Nitto B123s on there, and it is *nearly* long enough.

I am looking around for a new bike (who isn't right?) and I would much rather be on a more standard geometry bike, partly for a bit more adjustability, but partly for a more sensible standover and shorter head tube. Its been a good bike so far, really it's been good enough for me to wring myself out in the middle of the pack which is about the limits to my racing, but that's my 2 cents. I have no idea why they designed the bike the way they did.
Old 12-12-18, 10:57 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Perkins sprint bars
Old 12-12-18, 10:57 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 12-12-18, 11:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that those are BT sprint bars:

Specifications.
36CM C-C ( one size available)
148mm Drop
95mm Reach
Grip diameter 26mm
31.8mm clamp diameter
Weight 350grams.
https://www.biketechnologies.com/bt-sprint-2/

You can see them in use here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvnGsPF7k0
Old 12-12-18, 11:56 PM
carleton
Elitist

The S1NEO looks to be a generic road TT frame repurposed as a "track" bike.

75 degree seat tube angle and 72 degree head tube angle are angles for use with aerobars. Period.

I've never seen Pervis ride one outside of an ad. Come to think of it, I've only seen him standing next to one.

I'd pass on it.
Old 12-13-18, 03:30 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very similar to the bt bars, just a smaller width and I think maybe smaller drop and reach but not completely sure.

I managed to find someone selling a set of them and they are in the post now 😆
Old 12-13-18, 03:38 AM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If I didn't know any better, I'd say that those are BT sprint bars:

BT Sprint ? Bike Technologies Australia | biketechnologies.com

You can see them in use here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRvnGsPF7k0
The Perkins don't curve unlike the BT
Perkins

BT
Old 12-13-18, 04:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Very similar to the bt bars, just a smaller width and I think maybe smaller drop and reach but not completely sure.

I managed to find someone selling a set of them and they are in the post now ��

Originally Posted by pierrej
The Perkins don't curve unlike the BT
Perkins

BT
Good catch!
Old 12-13-18, 04:12 AM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I managed to find someone selling a set of them and they are in the post now 😆
They'll not be finished as nicely as BT's, but you'll love them
Old 12-13-18, 06:13 AM
Kaben

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The S1NEO looks to be a generic road TT frame repurposed as a "track" bike.

75 degree seat tube angle and 72 degree head tube angle are angles for use with aerobars. Period.

I've never seen Pervis ride one outside of an ad. Come to think of it, I've only seen him standing next to one.

I'd pass on it.
Fair enough - I thought it would be ok as looking at the Argon 18 Electron Pro frame that Glaetzer is riding at the moment, that has 76 degree seat tube and 72.7 head tube, so i assumed this would be workable as its "similar".

What do you think about the geometry angles of the Look 875 Maddison? I expect its more tuned for endurance track riding but i would primarily be using it for Sprinting? My current Planet X Track Pro is too short in reach for me to get into a long & low aero position for sprinting.
Old 12-13-18, 07:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Olympus has a bar option: https://olympusspeed.com/collections...rack-handlebar

Kaben, check out a Dolan DF4 (or DF3). They are pretty long, low, and affordable. Yes, there are some known issues - some have seat post slippage, but if you torque to spec (17-19nm) it's not a huge issue. And yes, the dropouts are short on the newer version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.