Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your Preference for a Hydro Day Pack vs Mounted Pack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 10:51 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Hello,

I wasn't sure how to title this, hope it makes sense.

Basically I've been thinking about whether I want a hydration day pack sort of thing or something mounted on the bike for carrying water and odds/ends. I'm not in love with the idea of a germ infested spittle nozzle on a hydro pack but could be handy for grabbing a drink without stopping. Could also use if for hiking.

Who knows, basically just looking for other pserspectives.

Here are some of the packs I've been looking at:

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/compare...KIN8%2CSYNCRO5

Thanks folks!
Old 04-25-20, 12:09 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
I used to use a 3l camel back in the Navy while deployed on an aircraft carrier. I used water and gatorade in it constantly. I would drink 6 liters in 12 hours. Never had a problem with it. I just made sure to buy enough cleaning tablets to make it through deployment. I think I used them once a month and did a complete rinse once a week and a quick rinse after every shift. The only time it got funky was after a port visit when it would sit unused for about a week. This was when I usually used the cleaning tablets.
Old 04-25-20, 12:14 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
If you're going to use one, get it big enough to carry some stuff. I have a couple that barely have room for a banana.

Osprey is good but I would get something bigger than any of those.

The kind of bladder that folds at the top is better than the screw- on stopper IME.
Old 04-25-20, 12:27 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Hydro packs are one way .... multiple bottles is another. I have tried both and prefer not to wear a pack but that is just me.

I used 32-oz (or larger) large-mouthed bottles (easier to till, easier to clean, and much easier if you are mixing up powdered sports drink) and pilled them whenever i could, so i could have a water bottle and a drink bottle on the frame (in cages) all the time, and whenever one ran dry I would pull over and refill with a bottle from my panniers.

Keeping all sorts of water containers clean is sort of a big deal---great way to spread disease, or to keep a cold alive. Also, not hard to do---H202, bleach, dish soap and a good brush .... I am sure I could make do with the microwave at a convenience store in a pinch.

With a bladder, keeping the hose clean might be the hardest task, but most bladder-makers also make cleaning tabs as mentioned by @Melvang.

if you prefer to carry a pack on your body versus panniers or a trunk rack, or if your bike is designed so that racks ar no thte best option, i second @woodcraft---get a big one.

I had a (I think) Camelback Mule. i could fit all my tools tubes, spare gloves, rain gear, snacks, and even wedge my helmet most of the way inside so it was secure. made things really handy.