Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Being harassed while riding the roads

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Being harassed while riding the roads

Old 03-29-21, 08:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If you can say that, the opposite of your red neck is the snotty liberals in their Lexus, Mercedes, and other high priced foreign cars that ALWAYS think they have the right of way. Is there an entitled snotty gene?
Not entirely correct.

You may need a little education here. The term red neck was first applied to union coal miners.
Most likely incorrect.

If you're going to be so sure of yourself, you should probably get your facts straight.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-29-21, 09:02 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
If you can say that, the opposite of your red neck is the snotty liberals in their Lexus, Mercedes, and other high priced foreign cars that ALWAYS think they have the right of way. Is there an entitled snotty gene?
Well, when 80% (anecdotal statistic) of the discussions I've ever had regarding cyclists being put in danger/crowded/frightened have involved a person in a large truck and often with some sort of redneck pride declaration on their bumper, yeah, give me educated Lexus drivers every day of the week.
Likes For m2244:
Old 03-29-21, 09:03 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Some kids in a convertible threw candy at me while I was riding on a very wide shoulder while minding my own business and not obstructing traffic in any way. Had nothing to do with anything I was doing. Had a bottle thrown at me under the same conditions. Decades ago a guy reached out a car window and slapped my then GF on the ass.
I had a woman in a convertible make a very close pass and throw a cup of pop at me as we came up to an intersection. I nailed her in the head with my water bottle. I even got the water bottle back as it bounced out of the car.

I was riding with a buddy when some guy in a crew cab pickup reach out and slapped his ass while yelling something that ended with "honey." My buddy used to have long hair and would have it in a ponytail when we rode. We caught them at a stoplight and my buddy pulls up next to the window, blows the guy a couple of kisses, and said "Your place or mine?" The guy that slapped him turned about 10 shades of red and his friends were howling with laughter.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 03-29-21, 09:06 AM
m2244

You may need a little education here. The term red neck was first applied to union coal miners.
I had a similar discussion with a lady recently. We all know quite well what the term has come to mean in our society over the past couple of decades, and it isn't coal miners nor farmers.
Likes For m2244:
Old 03-29-21, 09:11 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by m2244
Let's be honest, this thought has crossed the minds of many men. (Yes, actually doing it is not cool, mostly for safety reasons, respect, etc. Just making a joke here.)
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's never crossed my mind, and I've never heard a friend express the desire. But you do you.
Koyote, this is the one worried about rednecks.

I've always found that the more rural the venue, generally the more polite the people. It also seems to me that negative interactions are fewer these days than years ago. YMMV.
Likes For kaos joe:
Old 03-29-21, 09:20 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
As a young cocky kid, I got in a yelling match with a carful of people who buzzed me. They proceeded to run me off the road and all jump out to attack me.

It was three on one.

Late 90s, I didn't have a cell yet but some other drivers did. Cops were called, culprits were located at their house. They got a mandatory court date, of which none of them showed.

The cop later told me that since there was yelling on both sides of the argument, that had they showed up, we probably all would have gotten ticketed for fighting. Since only I was there, I believe they each received an $800 fine plus whatever fee's were involved with their no show.

Anymore, I snap a pic if I can manage it and report them on the DUI - Road Rage hotline. I know my one report usually goes nowhere. I hope that when they do actually get caught in something, that an open road rage complaint on them gets them a little stiffer penalty.
Old 03-29-21, 09:20 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Koyote, this is the one worried about rednecks.

I've always found that the more rural the venue, generally the more polite the people. It also seems to me that negative interactions are fewer these days than years ago. YMMV.
Agreed. Especially since, in the rural areas where I have been living, cyclists are pretty rare - sort of a novelty. Motorists usually give me wide berth, and people are curious - in a friendly way.
Old 03-29-21, 09:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
So if they yell... "GET ON THE SIDEWALK" you'd consider that assault? Good luck finding a DA to prosecute that.
Why are we getting a DA involved? Not every type of assault is going to be deemed worthy by a prosecutor to bring to trial. Much less will a jury be finding grounds to convict except where specific laws are violated in an exactly specified manner.

My statement was just to inform that assault in virtually every thing it's used to describe legally does not involve physical contact. It only means that someone felt threatened with bodily harm.

If I'd seen that crowbar in your hands as you typed out your reply, I might have felt assaulted. But I didn't see it, and I have thick enough skin to handle the reply. <grin>
Old 03-29-21, 09:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Not entirely correct.

Most likely incorrect.

If you're going to be so sure of yourself, you should probably get your facts straight.
You apparently need to read up on a little history of the mine owners and and union coal miners and their war. You will find I am right. Just google the term redneck. In the coal mine wars where there was actual shooting, the coal miners wore red bandanas so they knew who was on their side, and didnt shoot one of their own.

Last edited by rydabent; 03-29-21 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 09:31 AM
Koyote

You apparently need to read up on a little history of the mine owners and and union coal miners and their war. You will find I am right. Just google the term redneck. In the coal mine wars where there was actual shooting, the coal miners wore red bandanas so they knew who was on their side, and didnt shoot one of their own.
You are the one who needs to read some history; that was not likely the first use of the term, which is what you were asserting.

I actually provided a source; did you?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-29-21, 09:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by RGMN
I had a woman in a convertible make a very close pass and throw a cup of pop at me as we came up to an intersection. I nailed her in the head with my water bottle. I even got the water bottle back as it bounced out of the car.

I was riding with a buddy when some guy in a crew cab pickup reach out and slapped his ass while yelling something that ended with "honey." My buddy used to have long hair and would have it in a ponytail when we rode. We caught them at a stoplight and my buddy pulls up next to the window, blows the guy a couple of kisses, and said "Your place or mine?" The guy that slapped him turned about 10 shades of red and his friends were howling with laughter.
Love it!!!!!!
Old 03-29-21, 09:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

You are the one who needs to read some history; that was not likely the first use of the term, which is what you were asserting.

Yes Google.
Old 03-29-21, 09:39 AM
Koyote

Yes Google.
Google is not a source. It is a search engine.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-29-21, 09:47 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I'm less concerned by cars passing closer than the legally required (in NC) 4 ft if they slow down and pass me at a reasonably deliberate speed. I know they've seen me, and they're actually paying attention to the act of passing. Its cars/trucks that pass close without any obvious reduction of speed the bother me. I will say that on the country roads outside Chapel Hill, easily 95% of cars give me loads of space, and only a very small minority of close-passing encounters ever escalate to exchanges or other incidents. In the main, I've learned to chalk it up to life, and I never flip a close passer off, regardless of how much I want to - that never helps things. The last incident, a young dude close-passed me on an otherwise open road, and I gave him a "WTF?!" hand gesture. He stops and hops out, waiting for me to arrive. Starts with a belligerent "did you just flip me off?!" etc etc - basically just ranted about not being on the road where were no shoulders, not being "from around here", moving on to "stupid-looking old man", and finally driving off with a "see you again, I'll run you off the road" and flipping me off.
No actual harm done, but discouraging, and puts a damper on what should have been a good ride.
I was pondering the "cycling situation" recently (while on a solo ride, of course), and while I know a lot of people advocate physically separating cycling infrastructure from other traffic, I'm not wild about spending my time in a cycling-only fishbowl. I'd gladly swap bike lanes for a well-educated and reasonable driving populace.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-29-21, 10:01 AM
m2244

This seems like it would be a good topic of discussion on its own, but I doubt the moderators would like it.
Old 03-29-21, 10:23 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Why are we getting a DA involved? Not every type of assault is going to be deemed worthy by a prosecutor to bring to trial. Much less will a jury be finding grounds to convict except where specific laws are violated in an exactly specified manner.

My statement was just to inform that assault in virtually every thing it's used to describe legally does not involve physical contact. It only means that someone felt threatened with bodily harm.

If I'd seen that crowbar in your hands as you typed out your reply, I might have felt assaulted. But I didn't see it, and I have thick enough skin to handle the reply. <grin>
You're more likely to see a tire iron than a crowbar. But i bet 99.9% of assaults on cyclists are done with a 5000# vehicle.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-29-21, 10:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Google is not a source. It is a search engine.
You are splitting hairs. Look it up on any source you want to.
Old 03-29-21, 10:34 AM
Koyote

You google "origins of term redneck." The very first listing will be the source I provided. Here is a line from it:

"The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts ... men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks"

The source goes on to note that the term was later applied to miners.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-29-21, 10:53 AM
m2244

You google "origins of term redneck." The very first listing will be the source I provided. Here is a line from it:

"The term characterized farmers having a red neck caused by sunburn from hours working in the fields. A citation from 1893 provides a definition as "poorer inhabitants of the rural districts ... men who work in the field, as a matter of course, generally have their skin stained red and burnt by the sun, and especially is this true of the back of their necks"

The source goes on to note that the term was later applied to miners.
The first hit I get is from Wiki, first line:

Redneck is a derogatory term chiefly, but not exclusively, applied to white Americans perceived to be crass and unsophisticated, closely associated with rural whites of the Southern United States.[1][2] Its usage is similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Texas, Georgia, and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash(but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).

Regardless, they certainly seem to be a bigger problem in this country than most of the rest of the world. With that said, I'm talking about the more extreme cases. The gun-toting, beer drinking, uneducated people who feel the need to be jerks for no reason other than to fit in with their gun-toting, beer drinking, uneducated friends.
Old 03-29-21, 10:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
LOL! Providing a source to back up your claim and telling someone to find their own source that corroborates your claim is hardly "splitting hairs." What it is is par for the course with you. Shoot. You haven't even provided a scintilla of evidence to support your claims of bike ownership.
Old 03-29-21, 11:07 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by m2244
I hope this doesn't get me in trouble with the moderators but I think the redneck situation in this country is getting out of control. Looking forward to the day science can eliminate this gene from the human race!
WT_, ungenics no thank you.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-29-21, 11:12 AM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts
When I started commuting to work 2 years ago it took me about 3 weeks of close calls to learn the closer I rode to the right, the closer the cars passed by me. Now I ride about 2 feet into the lane and cars give me more room. I also use a take a look mirror on my glasses and will move off a narrow road if I am holding up traffic to let it pass.

Ben
Likes For BenBoozer:
Old 03-29-21, 11:27 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I've always felt like it should be legal for Cyclists to travel against the flow of traffic on a highway as long as they are on the shoulder. Because you can see if a vehicle is going to get a little too close a lot sooner. The problem is people literally fall asleep / get hypnotized while driving and start heading towards objects on the road then suddenly snap out of it at the last second.
Old 03-29-21, 12:59 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i had to ride against the flow of traffic one time, was on the 63 Cinelli track bike , no brakes, went to make a left in front of oncoming traffic, thought i had enuff time, i did not, so i was forced to abort my line of travel, so i was riding on the right side of the oncoming traffic next to the center divide, scared the hell out of me and about 10 cars before i could finally get across.
Old 03-29-21, 04:26 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Here in Northern Virginia many of the roads have signage reminding cyclists to take the lane. Actually it’s to remind drivers that bikes can take the lane.

I’m in Loudoun County where cycling is encouraged and most car drivers are at least bike aware and often bike friendly. They stop and wait at bike trail crossings, even accepting the derision of impatient drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.