Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Biking Generally More Safe in Spain than US?

Notices
Europe Europe

Old 03-30-21, 09:54 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

I assume it depends on the location, type of road, etc.

I'm toying around with the idea of moving to Spain or Portugal in another 4 years and would like to hear different perspectives from people who have biked over there. Either comparisons with the US or just what you thought of it.

As a side note, I would try to avoid heavily or even moderately traveled roads if it's possible.
Old 03-30-21, 10:07 AM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Depends on where you are moving from and to.
Old 04-01-21, 11:42 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
In general, cycling is a much safer pursuit in Europe. In general. You still have to use common sense, and YOU MUST KNOW THE LOCAL TRAFFIC LAWS! In Europe, Cyclists are expected to follow the traffic law, and drivers will operate their autos on the assumption that YOU are adhering to the rules. Do that, and your experience will be immeasurably better. I don't have a lot of experience riding in Spain (Madrid and Mallorca), and none in Portugal. But, the weather would be a HUGE incentive...in fact, wife and I are thinking about doing the same thing (probably Portugal, cheaper and safer) once the kids are out of college.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 04-01-21, 12:08 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
I have experience of rural southern France, which in reality isn't far off (literally and figuratively, where I go, Languedoc (now Occitanie) is about 2hrs from the border w/Spain and culturally isn't a million miles off either).

I'll put it like this: I've never been concerned about randomly being shot, in France. In the US, there is always that chance.

Cycling is a widely accepted and admired sport, in Europe, and so are bicycles as a means of transport, so you will get a lot more mutual respect as a fellow road user.

I really like Spain (never been to Portugal). Apparently the driving environment in Portugal has the reputation of being a bit hectic.

Overall, I think the best time to move to Europe was several years ago; the second best time is now, so don't delay it.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-01-21, 12:36 PM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks everyone, some good info here, makes me feel good about taking my wife there some day.