Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero tuck vs pedal sprint downhill - Trying to improve a Strava segment

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 10:58 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 440 Posts

Just for fun, I've been trying to improve my time on a short downhill Strava segment. The KOM is 55 seconds with over 14k efforts from various cyclists. My PR without really trying is 1:12 minutes and that was going aero tuck while having a few cars in my way. I tried again the other day, but this time I went with a pedal sprint, but my time was actually slower by 1 second at 1:13 minutes. There wasn't any traffic either so I was able to go all-out. I was actually surprised I was slower. My goal is to at least shave a few seconds on my time and eventually get under the 1 minute mark. My top speed was just under 40mph, with the KOM topping out at 44mph.

My question: would I be better off getting as aero as possible once I pedal to speed, but the end of the segment it flattens out so I presume I should sprint that final leg? Also my current big crank is 50t, would I need a larger big chainring to even get any faster? Would mounting a heavier wheelset help create more downhill speed? Again it's just for fun, but I like the idea of trying to improve for this particular challenge. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 01-20-22, 11:29 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Get a running start and get as aero as possible which probably means slamming the stem and sitting on the top tube. Also 50x11 is too low, you would need something like 55x11 at 120 rpm to beat 44 mph
Likes For Elvo:
Old 01-20-22, 12:15 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Elvo
Get a running start and get as aero as possible which probably means slamming the stem and sitting on the top tube. Also 50x11 is too low, you would need something like 55x11 at 120 rpm to beat 44 mph
Darn, not really looking to buy a new crankset, though I do have a BSA compatible crank on my single speed bike. I could temporarily swap my current crank and get a cheap 56t chainring off Amazon just for this segment and run it 1x. Only problem it's a PITA to get to that segment since I need to hill climb to get there. I have a 1cm spacer between my stem and top tube, would slamming it even further make much difference? Also I'm on a slightly smaller frame and my stem runs at 130mm, so it's pretty easy for me to go super aero tuck and ride the top tube. Also you think weight cutting would help get more speed for the descent? I'd have no problem carb cutting for a week and reduce 10 pounds off my body just for this challenge. My riding buddies think I'm a bit crazy obsessing over this short road segment, but I like the idea of trying to overcome a miniature challenge that no one will even know about!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 01-20-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 12:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
The best thing you can do to increase your speed on a downhill is to gain a lot of weight. Start with a big breakfast with bacon, eggs, hash browns, and a stack of pancakes with butter and syrup. Drop off at the donut shop on the way to work and pick up a couple apple fritters. Find a sandwich joint that makes really big sandwiches for lunch, and remember to get some chips and a big brownie. And a 32 oz. soda. Have a couple candy bars at break time. Pizza for dinner, and a big slice of pie for dessert. More pizza as a midnight snack.

You'll have a hell of a time getting to the TOP of the descent, but you'll be unbeatable going down it.

Seriously, though - if the descent is long enough, spin out your biggest gear, seated and in the drops, and then tuck for all you're worth. Flatten your back enough that you start worrying about your jersey pockets acting like tiny parachutes. I also point my knees in toward the top tube. Never done supertuck, though. Generally I keep my hands in the drops on the brakes, since 40+mph can be scary when you're only wearing a few oz of lycra.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-20-22, 12:28 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Also you think weight cutting would help get more speed for the descent?
No. Weight loss is usually a net penalty on steep descents by reducing gravity assist, and short-term weight loss efforts typically cause significant loss of strength as well.

I'd have no problem carb cutting for a week and reduce 10 pounds off my body just for this challenge.
I suspect you would have a hard time losing 10 pounds in one week through carb cutting, actually. Even a week of total starvation would be unlikely to give that result.
Old 01-20-22, 12:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Or draft behind a lead vehicle travelling at 45 mph driven by someone with whom you have previously coordinated the move?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-20-22, 12:34 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Darn, not really looking to buy a new crankset, though I do have a BSA compatible crank on my single speed bike. I could temporarily swap my current crank and get a cheap 56t chainring off Amazon just for this segment and run it 1x. Only problem it's a PITA to get to that segment since I need to hill climb to get there. I have a 1cm spacer between my stem and top tube, would slamming it even further make much difference? Also I'm on a slightly smaller frame and my stem runs at 130mm, so it's pretty easy for me to go super aero tuck and ride the top tube. Also you think weight cutting would help get more speed for the descent? I'd have no problem carb cutting for a week and reduce 10 pounds off my body just for this challenge. My riding buddies think I'm a bit crazy obsessing over this short road segment, but I like the idea of trying to overcome a miniature challenge that no one will even know about!
What segment is it? Cutting weight would reduce your frontal profile and increase your power to weight ratio so you can get a better running start. Also good to make sure you have your affairs in order like designated beneficiaries, will/trust, and advanced medical directives.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 01-20-22, 12:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Other serious advice - hubs. One of my bikes has 7400 series Dura Ace hubs and it is about an mph or 2 faster than any of my other bikes. Also, if you're trying to beat a record, find a day with a tailwind. That bike, on a day with a strong tailwind, I broke 45 mph on one descent that's part of my Sunday rides, where I usually max out at 42.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-20-22, 01:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
I suspect you would have a hard time losing 10 pounds in one week through carb cutting, actually. Even a week of total starvation would be unlikely to give that result.
Forget cutting carbs - cut liquids! That'll get that 10 pounds off pretty quickly.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-20-22, 01:23 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Skinsuit, aero helmet. aero bike, aero wheels, Superman tuck...that should get you those precious few seconds.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 01-20-22, 01:29 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
And don't forget to fill up both water bottles, and maybe tuck a third full bottle in your jersey pocket - gravity is your friend on descents.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-20-22, 01:30 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
The first thing you should do is commission a gravity survey of the route. There may be some gravity gradients you can take advantage of.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-20-22, 02:16 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
you would need something like 55x11 at 120 rpm to beat 44 mph
According to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator, a 52x11 at 120rpm is about 45mph, and a rider with good form could pedal much faster than that.
Old 01-20-22, 02:18 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Forget cutting carbs - cut liquids! That'll get that 10 pounds off pretty quickly.
I have no problem with controlling my weight. I've done keto, and cut 30 lbs. in a month, plus I strength train regularly. A week is nothing for 10 lbs.!
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Really? Downhill segments are a thing? Geesh!
Likes For Iride01:
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The best thing you can do to increase your speed on a downhill is to gain a lot of weight.
I gained 60lb during my hiatus from the bike, and now descents where I would mash the pedals to stay at 40mph, I am coasting at 44+. Still don't recommend the weight gain though.
Old 01-20-22, 02:20 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by mcours2006
Skinsuit, aero helmet. aero bike, aero wheels, Superman tuck...that should get you those precious few seconds.
Well I'm guess whomever KOM'ed the segment was in normal cycling gear, so I'm not sure it's worth going full aero!
Old 01-20-22, 02:26 PM
WhyFi

I have no problem with controlling my weight. I've done keto, and cut 30 lbs. in a month, plus I strength train regularly. A week is nothing for 10 lbs.!
I agree, if you're talking primarily about water weight. 10lbs of fat in a week? That would definitely not be nothing and would be damn near impossible.
Old 01-20-22, 02:27 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Iride01
Really? Downhill segments are a thing? Geesh!
I know it's ridiculous, but it's a mini segment on the tail end of a climb and descent which I do every week. It's just for fun!
Old 01-20-22, 02:29 PM
WhyFi

Well I'm guess whomever KOM'ed the segment was in normal cycling gear, so I'm not sure it's worth going full aero!
Take a look at the leaderboard and see if the KOM holder and a number of people in the top 10-20 all happened on the same day. In any area with a decent number of strong riders, groups are almost always a big factor.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-20-22, 02:29 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Koyote
And don't forget to fill up both water bottles, and maybe tuck a third full bottle in your jersey pocket - gravity is your friend on descents.
The first time around when I did the descent, I did have slightly more water and gear on me. I might pack as much water on me the next attempt and see if that'll help
Old 01-20-22, 02:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I know it's ridiculous, but it's a mini segment on the tail end of a climb and descent which I do every week. It's just for fun!
45 mph isn't unreasonable to me though I'm in rare form (for me) when I get that fast on the short downhills here. We have a lot of people that show up as the KOM for various segments around here, but when you look at their entire ride, it becomes obvious that they finished their ride somewhere. Put their bike in the rack and forgot to turn off their bike computer while they drove like a bat out of hell for the trip to the house.

Although I'm not entirely sure that's part of your questions. I just got that idea from some of the replies I read that might have let my imagination take hold of reality. <grin>

I didn't even read all of your replies, much less the entire thread.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-20-22 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-20-22, 02:37 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Take a look at the leaderboard and see if the KOM holder and a number of people in the top 10-20 all happened on the same day. In any area with a decent number of strong riders, groups are almost always a big factor.
That just gave me an idea, if I get my buddies to help me draft, I could potentially gain more speed. From the looks of it, the leaderboard happened during different times and years.
Old 01-20-22, 02:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That just gave me an idea, if I get my buddies to help me draft, I could potentially gain more speed. From the looks of it, the leaderboard happened during different times and years.
I was able to hit 44 mph on a descent where I usually max out at 38 by drafting a pickup with a camper top. In retrospect, and with the benefit of 20 years more experience and wisdom, drafting a stranger at that speed was probably a bad idea.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-20-22, 02:55 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Also good to make sure you have your affairs in order like designated beneficiaries, will/trust, and advanced medical directives.

^^^This. Anyone intent on chasing Strava downhill segments should Google Kim Flint.
Likes For Bob Ross:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.