Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Back brake won't spring back into place

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-21, 08:41 AM
Milly2b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone!
I am still a beginner when it comes to bike repair and so I do not know all of the vocabulary, however I will try to explain my problem as best I can.
There is a problem with my back break. It does not spring back into place after breaking, instead when I squeeze it, it stay that way instead of releasing the wheel properly. This started happening after the break wire got caught on my shoe and I mistakenly pulled it. However I was not able to tighten the break back into place, either using the little nozzle near where I squeeze the break on the handlebar, nor at the level of the part of the break on the wheel which can be adjusted. Adjusting either of these makes no difference because the break doesn't spring back into place.
I have checked whether there is a problem with the little spring within the break mechanism on the handlebar but it is intact. And as far as I can see, the break cable and its protective casing are also intact.
Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be?
Thank you so much!
Milly
Old 11-02-21, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Usually when my bikes did that, it was from very old rusty and gummed up cables/housings.

Knowing what kind of BRAKE, you have might give us a BREAK trying to figure out what is wrong with it.
Old 11-02-21, 08:48 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Missing in this question is the actual type of brake that broke. Even knowing the make and model of bike that you have would be useful
Old 11-02-21, 08:53 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Assuming this is some sort of rim brake, it sounds like the cable is hung on a frame stop somewhere. Try squeezing the arms of the brake together by hand (or with a strap) until the rubber pads contact the rim (better yet do this without the wheel on if you are able). This will create slack in the cable, and you can follow it from the handlebar to the brake to make sure all of the plastic outer housings are seated into the appropriate frame fittings. If the cable is rusty/dirty or the plastic housings are damaged, they should be replaced. It sounds like a bike shop would be the best route for you if this is necessary.
Old 11-02-21, 08:54 AM
Milly2b

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you do not need to mock my English, it is not my native language.
They are v-brakes.
Likes For Milly2b:
Old 11-02-21, 08:56 AM
Milly2b

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok thanks everyone, so you think it's definitely the cable/housing then?
Old 11-02-21, 08:58 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Milly2b
Not definitely, but that's where I would look first based on the description/level of detail you provided.
Old 11-02-21, 09:02 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Likes For Rolla:
Old 11-02-21, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Usually when my bikes did that, it was from very old rusty and gummed up cables/housings.

Knowing what kind of BRAKE, you have might give us a BREAK trying to figure out what is wrong with it.
While cables and housing can cause the problem, it can also be caused by pads that are worn that have developed a lip on the bottom of the pad. The lip dives under the rim and hangs up.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-02-21, 09:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

They are v-brakes.
It's not mocking. It's making you aware that you used the wrong word. If you had spinach stuck to your teeth or forgot to pull up your zipper would you rather no one told you and you go around being seen by many more?

Posts on forums are too easily read as being bad when they likely are not meant to be bad or snarky. Try to read everything with out thinking that you are being criticized.
Old 11-02-21, 10:09 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
They are v-brakes.
You were not being mocked. Nobody could tell by your question that English is not your native language. Many native English speakers also use the word "break" when they actually mean "brake". However, your question, while quite long provided very little information about what sort of bike you were asking about. You will soon be able to include photos of the brake parts which will be a great help in diagnosing the problem
Old 11-03-21, 02:22 AM
Milly2b

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rolla Yes they are in place :-)
Old 11-03-21, 02:25 AM
Milly2b

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While cables and housing can cause the problem, it can also be caused by pads that are worn that have developed a lip on the bottom of the pad. The lip dives under the rim and hangs up.
I also checked these, they are fine...
Old 11-03-21, 02:58 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Check the cable routing. Has it twisted or snagged. Spray Wd40 where the cable comes out of the outer cable. Tiny sprays no dripping. Let it soak up it.
Do the same to any pivot points.
That's a start.
It's unlikely that you damaged anything when you pulled it.
Old 11-03-21, 08:08 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
Try tightening the pressure screws
Old 11-06-21, 09:27 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
When my old Raleigh did what your's is doing, I replaced the cable with a cheapo Walmart cable I found in my parts stash, and presto, good as new. I agree, you werent being mocked. Not to say there arent some rude posters on this forum, but not too many. Young adults mostly, I suspect. Ignore them if they crop up in the future. Im amazed how people pick up English as a second language. How many Americans have a second language? Not many. Good luck.
Old 11-10-21, 08:26 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I have tried learning German, Spanish, Japanese, and now ASL (american sign language) and I suck at all of them. And by the way, I can't spell worth a damn. and I often spell brake, break. You are doing just fine Kiddo, welcome to the forum . Stick around, it is a great source of knooledge.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 11-10-21, 05:27 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
knooledge.
pronounced (canoe-ledge)?
Old 11-10-21, 05:31 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
what i would do is take the cable loose from the brake caliper and, by hand, pull on the cable through the housing. somewhere there's an obstruction whether in the housing or in the cable....like a kink. or, maybe one of the housing ends has become dislodged from it's stop

Last edited by thook; 11-10-21 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-10-21, 10:03 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's not mocking. It's making you aware that you used the wrong word. If you had spinach stuck to your teeth or forgot to pull up your zipper would you rather no one told you and you go around being seen by many more?

Posts on forums are too easily read as being bad when they likely are not meant to be bad or snarky. Try to read everything with out thinking that you are being criticized.
It is obvious to the most casual reader that it was mocking. If the correct spelling had been explained rather than the sarcastic break and brake in capital letters it would have been constructive criticism and received as such. It wasn't funny. An apology is due. I see this a lot on the BF. Don't try to whitewash it.
Likes For frogman:
Old 11-11-21, 09:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by frogman
It is obvious to the most casual reader that it was mocking. If the correct spelling had been explained rather than the sarcastic break and brake in capital letters it would have been constructive criticism and received as such. It wasn't funny. An apology is due. I see this a lot on the BF. Don't try to whitewash it.
My apologies to Milly2b then. I wasn't intending it to be taken as mocking. Just a friendly nudge that brakes are not breaks.

I would be more offended if someone was to be so blunt as to say I can't spell correctly or typed a word incorrectly as that in a written form would really sound uppity to me. I'd much rather they put it in a somewhat humorous and picking sort of way. But to each their own and for forum life people need to learn to ignore things that offend them as they might be mistaken as to the intent.
Likes For Iride01: