Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Arrowhead 135 - Ultra Marathon

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-27-15, 10:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts

Just added this to my to-do list, this is gonna happen!

"135 miles Deep Winter across Northern Minnesota on rugged, scenic Arrowhead State Snowmobile Trail from Frostbite I-Falls to Tower, MN" - https://www.arrowheadultra.com/

.be
Old 01-27-15, 11:54 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
I read about that yesterday. I'm 99% sure I could never complete that ride.
Old 01-27-15, 09:10 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never would I have imagined that the Arrowhead would come down to a sprint finish! I am super excited to see Jorden win, not only does he race for my company but he is a great guy as well!
Old 01-29-15, 07:25 AM
V73
Menior Sember

Bikes: 1995 Trek Mountain Track 800 Sport, 2005 Diamondback Sorrento

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to do that someday. Minnesota is a beautiful state. I doubt I could ever place very high though. It is downright jaw dropping that Jorden Wakeley (the winner) biked 135 miles in 15 hours. That's an average of 9mph if he biked constantly, more if he took any considerable breaks. Over terrain like that, that's awesome. Now I have something crazy and difficult to look forward to when I'm older!

-V
Old 01-29-15, 04:18 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That race was neck and neck among five riders throughout the whole race, with a photo finish at the end. And most of the trail was groomed with not too bad of weather. Next up is the King of endurance races. The Iditarod Trail Invitational.
You can catch it here. Iditarod Trail Invitational Jay Petervary, who finished third by a whisker in the Arrowhead, is signed up to do the 1000 mile trek to Nome.

Last edited by scoatw; 01-31-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 12:51 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just talked to a runner who has ran it and finished it 3 times, like it was just something normal to do.
Old 01-25-16, 08:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

AND THEY'RE OFF!

The 2016 Arrowhead 135 started this morning and my riding buddy is off and riding. This guy is a beast, I met him on gravel grinders. He gave me the the idea to bike to the Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century), 'cause he wanted to make it a royal. It was a great day of riding! Now I'm watching his Arrowhead 135 live and hoping to follow him up there in a few year - I have A TON of prep work to know that me and my bike are up to this challenge, plus I need to buy a lot of the gear. For starters, I will be riding the Frozen 40 next month and I'm planning a solo fatbike metric century this Friday.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-25-16 at 08:22 AM. Reason: I do my best proofreading after I click "submit"
Old 01-25-16, 09:08 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'd love to ride these routes mentioned above but I'm not a racer so it would be more of a "tour" or recreational ride.
Old 01-25-16, 11:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by jrickards
I'd love to ride these routes mentioned above but I'm not a racer so it would be more of a "tour" or recreational ride.
You're not alone. I have no dilutions, if I get to this event, I won't compete to win this event. I would compete to finish this event. And my friend riding, that's his style too. He loves the challenge of pushing himself and exploring, but the "win" has nothing to do with beating other riders. He's a really fun guy!
Old 01-25-16, 12:08 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wish they'd make trackers mandatory so I could follow the race on Trackleaders. Only one of the leaders is showing on the Trackleaders this year. I want to vicariously race through their feed
Old 01-25-16, 03:04 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by FrozenK
I wish they'd make trackers mandatory so I could follow the race on Trackleaders. Only one of the leaders is showing on the Trackleaders this year. I want to vicariously race through their feed
Agreed! I just checked on my riding buddy, he's at mile 56 after nearly 8 hours at 7 mph pace, projected finish time 19 hours. That's one long days ride!
Old 01-26-16, 08:17 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Facebook update on the race:
"The morning updates are done. Our 1st skier has arrived. New record by 5 minutes! Second skier not far behind. Interestingly the conditions favor skiers this year and hinder everyone else."

Two bikers finished last night, most spent the night on the trail.
Old 01-26-16, 11:19 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was rooting for Will Ross, he is from Anchorage and a really nice guy. But ending 3 minutes behind Petervary is nothing to be ashamed of. And this was Will's first try on the race.

The people who spent the night on the trail... I've done long days on the bike. But to ride 15 or 16 hours, in the winter and then bivvy? Mad respect for all those dudes.
Old 01-26-16, 06:14 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I wish the Discovery channel, or someone would film this and the Iditarod Trail Invitational. You could have Les Stroud interview the riders out on the trail. And I could watch it all from my couch.
Old 01-27-16, 09:26 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I was rooting for Will Ross, he is from Anchorage and a really nice guy. But ending 3 minutes behind Petervary is nothing to be ashamed of. And this was Will's first try on the race.

The people who spent the night on the trail... I've done long days on the bike. But to ride 15 or 16 hours, in the winter and then bivvy? Mad respect for all those dudes.
Right! Sounds like fresh snow slowed most of the bikers. Those rider that went straight through, they are STRONG BEASTS. My buddy spent the night on the trail, finished 24th with a time of 31 hours and 13 minutes. DAMN!

Attached Images
Old 01-27-16, 09:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Not quite as tough as that but this looks good, CIRREM
Old 01-27-16, 10:58 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Right! Sounds like fresh snow slowed most of the bikers. Those rider that went straight through, they are STRONG BEASTS. My buddy spent the night on the trail, finished 24th with a time of 31 hours and 13 minutes. DAMN!

Another thing that you have to consider on these winter races is that the trail conditions the leaders rode may have been completely different from what the guys behind had. As you have probably experienced, a few inches of snow, and just traffic can change things where you go from rideable to "push fest" in a matter of minutes. It happened to me on a race in Talkeetna three years ago (the first 20 or so guys rode ~70% of the course. The rest of us probably pushed 70% of it)

Carrying on for 31 hours is an amazing feat. Your buddy is a tough guy.
Old 01-27-16, 11:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Another thing that you have to consider on these winter races is that the trail conditions the leaders rode may have been completely different from what the guys behind had. As you have probably experienced, a few inches of snow, and just traffic can change things where you go from rideable to "push fest" in a matter of minutes. It happened to me on a race in Talkeetna three years ago (the first 20 or so guys rode ~70% of the course. The rest of us probably pushed 70% of it)

Carrying on for 31 hours is an amazing feat. Your buddy is a tough guy.
Totally! I know he ended up walking, he had live GPS tracking and you could see the point where snow bogged him down and the leaders were able to continue to ride.
Old 01-27-16, 11:07 AM
FrozenK

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Totally! I know he ended up walking, he had live GPS tracking and you could see the point where snow bogged him down and the leaders were able to continue to ride
That is tough. When you end up pushing, and with a loaded bike, that is tough.
Old 01-27-16, 12:06 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I have an new hero of the Arrowhead 135 (sorry Justin)

Facebook post:

WE DID IT! This Arrowhead 135 I called "against stereotypes"

Arrowhead 135 have special place in my life. Last year I told Dan that when I finish this race I will able to have baby. After finished AH in 2015 3 month later i get news that I am pregnant and doctor said that baby will born at the end of November. In that moment I started to dreams about AH 135 2016 . Every day during the pregnancy I rode my bike and dreamed.
In September (2 month before Yeva was born I asked Dan "Can I will registered for the race?". "Yes ". It was the best YES from my lovely husband.
I rode my bike by the last day before baby was born. I started to training (1 day after Yeva was born. I am very good remember my first training - all my body hurts.... result of running was terrible.... But every new training was better than before. I run half marathon with a baby in a stroller. I did 2 short races on the bike. Mentally I was ready for AH135. When Yeva was just born I freeze enough milk for baby. I made plan that Dan will show up with Yeva at the 2 check -point for the breast feeding. I realized that it will be one of the biggest adventure in my life. My lovely husband never said to me "you crazy". He was agree about all and let me do it . That is WHY I love him , he know what important to me. Next question - how to pumping milk? My breast pump to heavy and big.And you need to keep all your stuff with you.
One of my Russian friend gave to me portable pump. Thank you Anna Gomelsky a lot. Pump worked wonderful.
Now no more questions and no more reasons DNS and DNF to me.
Before start I am nervous. DO I thinking about all and prepare all ?
I do not planning to racing in this year . Main goal to finish. With breast feeding and pumping during the race (each about 15-20 minutes ) you could not thinking about racing. I relaxing during the race. DO not worry about my place , just keep going. Only at the 3rd (last) check point when Christina Julian told me that I am 3rd women - I do not finish my coffee ( upset) and go to the finish, only pumping milk ( in that moment racer inside me woke up again).
I did it . I mean WE did it . Without Dan i can not to do this. He is hero of this race.Stay with 7weeks baby 30+ hours without so long practice. He is awesome man, husband and dad.
Race was hard mentally . When you push your bike in many hills , many times... when your middle speed most the time 5-6 miles per hour...its is hard. But you realized that this is Arrowhead - always will something hard (that is why this race one of the hardest of winter race in the world).
Thank you everyone who said good support words (during the race it is really helping). Thank you for cheering. Thank you everyone who believed in me. I love you all.
Special thank you Roberto Marron for the sleeping bag .
Thank you Carol Vold for keeping Nadia all this days .
Thank you Alex Oenes who one day opened to me world of endure race
Than you organizers and volunteers of the race (you all so sweet and awesome)
Thank you my *****goose Race Team for support
THANK You DAN! I love you!
I hope my experience can help for women who scared to have baby and thinking that you can not to do what you doing before. This is stereotypes . You can , if you WANT and have right partner with you.
Attached Images
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-27-16, 04:56 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Sveta is incredible. And was that a picture of Justin you posted? I expect to see both of them next week at the Stupor Bowl. I'll be working a stop in south Mpls.
Old 02-01-16, 08:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by reverborama
Sveta is incredible. And was that a picture of Justin you posted? I expect to see both of them next week at the Stupor Bowl. I'll be working a stop in south Mpls.
Yes, that's a pic of Justin off of Facebook. I'm headed out on a business trip and will miss the Stupor Bowl, bummed.
Old 02-01-16, 09:10 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
AND THEY'RE OFF!

The 2016 Arrowhead 135 started this morning and my riding buddy is off and riding. This guy is a beast, I met him on gravel grinders. He gave me the the idea to bike to the Westside Dirty Benjamin (gravel century), 'cause he wanted to make it a royal. It was a great day of riding! Now I'm watching his Arrowhead 135 live and hoping to follow him up there in a few year - I have A TON of prep work to know that me and my bike are up to this challenge, plus I need to buy a lot of the gear. For starters, I will be riding the Frozen 40 next month and I'm planning a solo fatbike metric century this Friday.
Need to check out the qualifying races in order to race. I know it fills up quickly.
Old 02-01-16, 09:31 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Leebo
Need to check out the qualifying races in order to race. I know it fills up quickly.
Right! I'm no where near ready to race. Lots of gear to buy, lots of cold weather training & learning, and qualification events. I know I will not race the 2017 race, maybe 2018, but I'm targeting 2019.

I did ride a fatbike metric century on Friday. It was a ton of work, one of my hardest rides. I was on paths and roads (nothing like the conditions on the Arrowhead). So all I need to do for the Arrowhead 135 is ride twice as far, on snowmobile trails, with 30 lbs of gear, in the middle of nowhere, and .... Yep, I have a long ways to go!
Old 02-01-16, 10:13 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
They did a news article about Sveta on WCCO:
Minnesota Mom Finishes Grueling 135-Mile Winter Bike Race ? While Breastfeeding « WCCO | CBS Minnesota

I ran into her and Dan at the Bike Swap in Blaine yesterday. As I was walking up to them another fellow was leaving after speaking with them. He was saying something about being inspired by her. I told her that, on the contrary, she made me feel worthless! Got to see the new baby, too. Very cute.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.