Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Combining weight training and cycling. How?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Combining weight training and cycling. How?

Old 09-17-21, 10:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Just going off off CTS recs, they say no recovery carbs after workouts below 1700 kJ. What's your experience with that? I've tried both yes and no for many years and really didn't notice any difference below that level. My protein idea is off some coach's blog, don't remember which, can't find it now. However there's this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5828430/

I implemented a 3 X 40g dosage scheme (2 X kg) several days ago and already notice a difference in muscle soreness. For that past couple years I've thought I was just getting old and hopeless and it looks like it might have been simply too low dietary protein for the last 2-3 years. An effect of aging might be a reduction in MPS per protein gram consumed. One doesn't know what one doesn't know I guess. All we can do is experiment.
Probably too personal person to person to say for sure.

Honestly, I personally feel on a RPE scale better recovered faster. Meaning I can do more of whatever I am doing, better.

1700 KJ is random sounding as the burn rate of glycogen is dependent on the power zones of each person. So a low power person can dip into burning glycogen without big KJ workouts. And big power folks can do mega KJ workouts without big glycogen spends.

I have found at tempo for 3 hours on one gel and drink mix only the glycogen is gone by about 2:15. Nutritional bonk. If I give it the fuel, no issues going all way to 3.

I need to try some sweetspot repeat workouts on max per hour fueling to see what I can do. I have never pushed the hourly limits of fueling intake.
Old 09-17-21, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Probably too personal person to person to say for sure.

Honestly, I personally feel on a RPE scale better recovered faster. Meaning I can do more of whatever I am doing, better.

1700 KJ is random sounding as the burn rate of glycogen is dependent on the power zones of each person. So a low power person can dip into burning glycogen without big KJ workouts. And big power folks can do mega KJ workouts without big glycogen spends.

I have found at tempo for 3 hours on one gel and drink mix only the glycogen is gone by about 2:15. Nutritional bonk. If I give it the fuel, no issues going all way to 3.

I need to try some sweetspot repeat workouts on max per hour fueling to see what I can do. I have never pushed the hourly limits of fueling intake.
All true.

Since I've concentrated on long rides, I've always pushed the nutritional limits. I know exactly what I can tolerate and what my ride-forever low intensity calorie/hour number is - they're about the same. Personally, I don't often do hard rides, i.e. glycogen burners, 2 or more in a row. If I'm going to ride back-to-backs, I put a limiter on my effort. I tried using recovery drinks after every ride, but gained weight. I definitely use them after exhausting rides. On our 10-day backpacks, we have a recovery drink as soon as we get into camp, even though my HR won't average much over 60% of LTHR.

I found that blog link with the protein advice, it was a CTS: https://trainright.com/masters-and-g...ning-mistakes/
Old 10-27-21, 03:13 PM
NikolasFarrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If we talk about nutrition, it is necessary to maintain a balance of proteins and carbohydrates, if we consume calories more than we should, then we gain weight, if, on the contrary, we spend more than we consume, then we lose weight. That's what my fitness trainer always told me. Perhaps this advice will prove just as useful. I used to run as cardio, but unfortunately, my endurance and joints are suffering, so I switched to cycling. But I keep a calorie count regardless of exercise.
Old 11-18-21, 06:08 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I used to only do powerlifting, but got back into cycling once the pandemic started. Before I was mostly about eating protein, but now I have to plan my meals accordingly so I have sufficient strength and energy depending if I lift or cycle. To be honest, my powerlifting numbers have gone down to where I was during my lifting peak, but in exchange my cycling ability has vastly improved. My stamina and endurance is much better and I focus mainly on hill climbing, where my deadlift and squat training really shine. In fact I feel like lift PRs are very similar to riding at the limit where oxygen deprivation and having your nervous system firing off to reach the summit/checkpoint. I still work upper body, do pull-ups/tricep dips daily, ab crunches and bench press, but mostly for aesthetic reasons because I find the lanky/noodle-arm roadie look not very attractive. I've also dropped 10 pounds since I started to bike more and people have commented I look much more shredded. In fact I like wearing my cycling gear because I can really see my muscular definition!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 11-18-21 at 06:13 PM.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 11-17-22, 12:52 PM
Matterden

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, it is not really easy, as it requires much time, but when you want, you will certainly succeed. I chose weight training for myself, and started looking for some equipment for it. I found the best mma headgear and other useful things. In addition to the physical form, I will acquire the knowledge and techniques of fighting. In our turbulent times, this is useful.

Last edited by Matterden; 11-30-22 at 02:12 AM.