Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kick Stand

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Kick Stand

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-21, 06:28 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When I and my buddy tour logging/mining roads in Northern Ontario, Canada, we use TWO kickstands on each bike> One kickstand mounts on the rear seatstay/chainstay junction and the other mounts just behind the seattube. I lock the front brake lever with a cut-down toe-strap.

Sometimes there's nowhere to lean a loaded touring bike and I hate to lay my bike down when it's loaded.

My buddy's bike.

Nothing here really solid enough to lean a loaded bike against.

Cheers
Old 10-14-21, 08:21 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 274 Posts
I used to drive motorcycles that had both a center stand (double leg) and side stand installed. I understand the preference for the center stands that have two legs, but I would not use one on a heavily loaded touring bike. Bike frames are not designed for putting that much of a load on that part of the frame to support one wheel up in the air if you are running four panniers with weight on both the front and rear.
I agree with this and would like to use a stand like yours. My Rohloff equipped bike also has disk brakes so there doesn't appear to be room for the rear stand. I have a Click-Stand and it holds my bike up even in high winds.
Old 10-15-21, 04:41 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice and pictures! I went to LBS and they let me dig through their "junk" pile. Picked up a double leg kickstand for $20.00. Thanks again.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 10-18-21, 12:42 PM
rrjmaier

Bikes: Koga-Miyata Traveller, Specialized Roubaix, Brompton folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rear mounted kickstand on my commuter / touring bike.
I love it and it has come handy in so many situations. just for quickly getting off the bike without haveing to look anywhere for the bike to lean to

On my carbon frame road bike I don't have one for weight reasons and the fewer stops I make when out and about don't warrant one.
Old 10-18-21, 01:18 PM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

The most enjoyment I got from this thread was eyeballing ROBOW's amazing rig! Would love to hear more about it. (I assume the skid marks on the road are recent ones laid down by a driver avoiding the orange pool noodle?)

Last edited by mbliven; 10-18-21 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-18-21, 02:32 PM
Glennie

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR 1 2019

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts

i have a Giant Toughroad SLR 1 2019 model with a Giant brand rear stand. It is secured by the axle skew and also a bolt to the frame. Works well for me just don’t park it facing downhill. I find I am frequently stopping (every 10km or so) to have a drink, get a nibble, take a photo or scratch my arse. I am about to pick up a Norco Search XR S2 and don’t want to fit a stand to it. I am wondering if the lack of a stand will irritate me after a while. I know the banging of the stand as I go over a large bump won’t be missed though.
Old 10-18-21, 08:04 PM
tduncan86

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used a Pletscher Two-leg double kickstand on a 1100km tour last month. Beware a single leg stand can allow the bike to topple sideways since the kickstand mounting point is often lower than the loaded bike's centre of gravity.
The weight of a kickstand is negligible compared to a loaded touring cycle, or picking up a loaded touring cycle.
Be aware that the stand will have to mount to your bike in a place that is not going to interfere with other components (like disc brakes, derailleurs, drive chain or panniers)
No matter what - standing or leaning your bike is easier than picking up a loaded bike, or loading a bike that is laying on its side.
Likes For tduncan86:
Old 10-20-21, 11:16 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I've never used a kickstand except when I was a very young boy and all dept. store bikes came with them. I'm good with whatever makes it easy for people. For me, I just lean my bike up against things. On my mtn bike if there's nothing to lean it up against I just lay it down on the ground. Have done that when touring with saddlebags too.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 10-21-21, 05:29 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by tduncan86
. No matter what - standing or leaning your bike is easier than picking up a loaded bike, or loading a bike that is laying on its side.
Agree. I have no kick stands and generally just lean the bike against something. Easy. But when loaded touring I use a Click-Stand type prop (DIY) that uses the top tube. At camp sites I like to keep my tent away from tree trunks but also keep my bike next to the tent. The prop is very stable with a full, self supported, load. Very stable for unloading and reloading the panniers, etc. Pack the prop for the day and set it up again that evening.

Last edited by Prowler; 10-21-21 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added pix