Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Did I get too short cranks arms? Went from 170mm to 160mm

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 06:27 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts

Just a little background: I originally had 170mm cranks on my gravel bike, but then I swapped them out to 165mm crank arms and they ride perfect for me. On the flats I feel like there's decent torque for me to accelerate and when hill climbing I can spin at high cadence far easier. So I decided to try the same with my road bike, but went from 170mm to 160mm thinking I'd have similar handling characteristics and the 160mm option wasn't available on my gravel crankset. I noticed a few pros and cons starting with the cons first. When in the saddle while hill climbing, I notice a lack of torque and my lowest gear feels more like one gear up. It felt significantly harder to do the same climb I did with ease with my 170mm crank arms. Regarding the pros, when out of the saddle though I feel like I can sustain a faster and harder climb especially when sprinting up. It spins with better efficiency from what I could feel. I think with the 170mm crank arms out of the saddle, it was much harder.

I'm now undecided on what to do? Should I try adjusting my saddle position and seat post height on my bike to slightly change my hip positioning and leg extension? Is this something that might need a break-in period where I would eventually adjust? I could go back to my 170mm crankset, but the 160mm crankset also shifts smoother (went from an FSA Gossamer to a Shimano 105 R7000), so there's that. BTW - I'm running an 11-32t rear and 50:34t front. - OR - Is this just another step on my cycling journey to help me get stronger and I should just stick it out with the 160mm cranks until it feels easier?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by jonathanf2; 10-07-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-08-21, 06:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,407 Times in 2,746 Posts
For the cost of a crank you might be close to a session with a fitter who has the ability to measure power. Otherwise you are just subjectively fooling around. Not surprised the Shimano crank works better than the FSA.
Old 10-08-21, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
When you change your crank length you have to change your saddle height. Unless if was wrong before and just happens to now be correct.

Yes you do loose torque on the crankshaft with shorter cranks. That's why you have to ensure you have the proper gearing to make up for that loss and if you can't spin that lower ratio faster, then you'll be slower climbing the hill. So several things that you might need to correct. One, just get use to the new torque and cadence you'll have to use to be equal to before. And do you have a gear ratio that lets you spin fast as you go up the hills in question?

I'm not claiming you have to climb at 80 plus RPM. But you should have that option available for times it's needed.

I use 165 cranks on my road bike with a 36/52 front and 11-30 rear. 34.5" inseam. I go up most hills at the same cadences I use for flatter parts, unless I'm really trying to best a personal KOM. Then I might be a slower cadence or even a faster cadence. It just depends.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-08-21, 09:17 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
Just a little background: I originally had 170mm cranks on my gravel bike, but then I swapped them out to 165mm crank arms and they ride perfect for me. On the flats I feel like there's decent torque for me to accelerate and when hill climbing I can spin at high cadence far easier. So I decided to try the same with my road bike, but went from 170mm to 160mm thinking I'd have similar handling characteristics and the 160mm option wasn't available on my gravel crankset. I noticed a few pros and cons starting with the cons first. When in the saddle while hill climbing, I notice a lack of torque and my lowest gear feels more like one gear up. It felt significantly harder to do the same climb I did with ease with my 170mm crank arms. Regarding the pros, when out of the saddle though I feel like I can sustain a faster and harder climb especially when sprinting up. It spins with better efficiency from what I could feel. I think with the 170mm crank arms out of the saddle, it was much harder.

I'm now undecided on what to do? Should I try adjusting my saddle position and seat post height on my bike to slightly change my hip positioning and leg extension? Is this something that might need a break-in period where I would eventually adjust? I could go back to my 170mm crankset, but the 160mm crankset also shifts smoother (went from an FSA Gossamer to a Shimano 105 R7000), so there's that. BTW - I'm running an 11-32t rear and 50:34t front. - OR - Is this just another step on my cycling journey to help me get stronger and I should just stick it out with the 160mm cranks until it feels easier?

Thanks for any advice!
If you went from 170mm cranks to 160mm and didn't raise your saddle by about 10mm, then it's probably the wrong height now! I'm not surprised you feel like it's harder to make power now.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 09:44 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by Iride01
When you change your crank length you have to change your saddle height. Unless if was wrong before and just happens to now be correct.

Yes you do loose torque on the crankshaft with shorter cranks. That's why you have to ensure you have the proper gearing to make up for that loss and if you can't spin that lower ratio faster, then you'll be slower climbing the hill. So several things that you might need to correct. One, just get use to the new torque and cadence you'll have to use to be equal to before. And do you have a gear ratio that lets you spin fast as you go up the hills in question?

I'm not claiming you have to climb at 80 plus RPM. But you should have that option available for times it's needed.

I use 165 cranks on my road bike with a 36/52 front and 11-30 rear. 34.5" inseam. I go up most hills at the same cadences I use for flatter parts, unless I'm really trying to best a personal KOM. Then I might be a slower cadence or even a faster cadence. It just depends.
I'm on an 11-32t cassette on my road bike and don't really plan on going bigger since I have a gravel bike with much lower gearing. I'm using the road bike primarily for fitness training and speed. According to my computer data, I was spinning at an average of 75 rpm for a 30-40 minute hill climb and where I felt the difference was on the particular steep sections that were still hard on the 170mm crank. The one thing I really liked is I didn't feel the same muscle fatigue when out of the saddle on the 160mm crank while doing hard sprint climbs. I even felt less winded. So I'm wondering if doing some seat post and saddle adjustments might make up the difference when doing the seated climbing?
Old 10-08-21, 09:48 AM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you went from 170mm cranks to 160mm and didn't raise your saddle by about 10mm, then it's probably the wrong height now! I'm not surprised you feel like it's harder to make power now.
When I got home, I did exactly that. I'll give it another go later today and report back.
Old 10-08-21, 09:59 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you measure your proper saddle height from the saddle to the pedal when at the bottom of the stroke furthest away from the saddle, then that measurement should be good for any crank length on any road bike you get on.

I do vary my saddle height at various times between 106 - 109% of my inseam measured snug in the crotch to the floor.

My experiences between longer and shorter cranks are much like you wrote:
The one thing I really liked is I didn't feel the same muscle fatigue when out of the saddle on the 160mm crank while doing hard sprint climbs. I even felt less winded.
Even in the saddle, I feel much less fatigued pedaling a high cadence than I do on long cranks. While I can tolerate 170 mm cranks, 172 and longer just make me feel like I'm thrashing about and tire my legs quickly.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-08-21, 10:04 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
When I got home, I did exactly that. I'll give it another go later today and report back.
Cool, hope that does the trick.

I can tell pretty quickly when a saddle is just a couple mm too low -- it feels harder to make power, and before too long, one or both knees start to hurt from the effort.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-08-21, 12:15 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Practice spinning faster in a lower gear on climbs. Lower gears at the same speed work your lungs harder and your legs less. My guess is that you might best climb at over 80 cadence with the 160 cranks. That takes practice. One can economically do a heckuva lot of deep breathing to keep the legs operational. As long as you're aerobic, there's really no cost to breathing more. Try 95 on the flat. If you have a trainer or rollers, a fun thing is to spin 120 in a very low gear for a long period. Fixes your coordination right up.
Old 10-08-21, 03:27 PM
jonathanf2

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Cool, hope that does the trick.

I can tell pretty quickly when a saddle is just a couple mm too low -- it feels harder to make power, and before too long, one or both knees start to hurt from the effort.
I just took the bike out for a 10 mile spin primarily on all hills. At first the saddle felt a bit high and then I got used to it. It feels much different than the 170mm crank arms when riding. Looking at my bike now, the seat post looks comically tall, but for these cranks the fit is just right.

What's interesting is just how less winded I feel, especially out of the saddle climbing. I did some segments I would normally sit, but standing and climbing, and I still had O2 in the tank by the time I reached the top!
Old 10-08-21, 04:39 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
As well as moving the saddle up with shorter cranks, try moving the saddle a little further back on the rails as well in order to get the most advantage of the shorter cranks.
Likes For AnthonyG:
Old 10-08-21, 05:09 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
I have a 160mm on my fast road bike and a 165mm on my steel commuter.
When I first move the road bike from 165mm (105 5800 to 105 R700) to 160mm, the feel was that I was slower for a 40 miles ride, specially on the flats - actually some 5 mins - but there are all other factors that comes to the equation.
Two weeks ago, I participated on a 53 miles organized ride with 4k feet elevation and since forecast was a bit of rain, took my commuter one (165mm) that has fenders on it (got rain after the ride when getting out of ferry to the car) and honestly don't feel much difference.
My main goal is to get easy on my knees since I'm a short rider.

Last edited by phtomita; 10-08-21 at 11:51 PM.
Likes For phtomita: