Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Did You Ride Today?

Old 08-24-18, 05:40 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Another "super-fast" ride on the Litespeed today. Super-fast translates as "much faster than usual for an old guy like me." Did 25.5 miles before the heat forced me to throw in the towel.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 09-01-18 at 10:11 AM.
Likes For RonH:
Old 08-28-18, 04:17 PM
RonH
Life is good

Despite the heat I decided to HTFU today.
No breakfast. Rode south to Inverness and the turned around and headed to the north end of the Withlacoochee Trail. Had a snack and then headed back to Hernando. With no breakfast I was runny low on energy about 5 miles from the end of the ride but I made it back. Rode 32 miles.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-31-18, 02:40 PM
RonH
Life is good

Another warm start — 75F and 90% humidity when I left home at 7AM. Took the Litespeed out and rode south a bit from Hernando. Then headed north and stopped at the north end of the Withlacoochee Trail for a snack. Then rode back to Hernando for a total of 26 miles. Saw Bruce (@DowneasTTer) and his wife a few miles north of Hernando. They came back from Canada earlier than I expected. They said the local folks up there thought it was "hot" but they said it was very pleasant.

Old 09-01-18, 10:14 AM
RonH
Life is good

Did an easy 22 mile ride today on the Withlacoochee Trail. Getting ready for my stress test on Tuesday. I have one every 18-24 months depending on what my cardio doc think of my current heart health.

Old 09-03-18, 11:49 AM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Lynskey out early today. Tomorrow I have a stress test. First one in about 1-1/2 years. No matter how hard or fast I rode today I couldn't get my heart rate over 120. Wonder how I'll do tomorrow?

Old 09-10-18, 12:00 PM
RonH
Life is good

Did my usual Hernando to the north end of the Withlacoochee Trail and back. Stopped at the Citrus Springs trailhead to refill my bottles. While I was there a gentleman who was breathing hard stopped to catch is breath. He said he just got his Giant hybrid about a month ago from Blue Run Bicycles in Dunnellon. He said he has COPD and has worked up to 15 miles. Reminded me to get out of my rut and increase my mileage. Since cooler temps are around the corner I guess I'll have to start ridding from home so I get more miles and a few small hills.

Old 09-17-18, 04:49 PM
RonH
Life is good

Took the Litrspeed out early today before the temps got too hot. Did my usual ride on the Withlacoochee Trail.

Old 09-20-18, 06:18 PM
2Young2getold
Andy

Bikes: Stolen Saint XLT 24”

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a nice cruise during sunset when the “feels like” temprature dropped below 100 degrees. Realized I didnt have my lights and decided to head back home. I never realized how liberating a simple bike ride could be, I probably over spent on the bike (buyers remorse) but still love it all the same!! Cheers
Old 09-24-18, 03:36 PM
RonH
Life is good

Well the "B n B" closed Saturday after our out-of-town friends left. They arrived Tuesday and after 3-1/2 days of entertaining, listening to their "stories", eating out, etc. we were totally whipped. After they drove away we spent all day Saturday in our recliners watching old movies and napping. We were somewhat recovered yesterday so this morning I headed out to ride. Took the Lynskey and did my usual Withlacoochee Trail ride. I was tired when I got home and am still feeling it. I guess entertaining out-of-town friends at our age is too tiring. The bad news is they're coming back in a few weeks because the house they are building (a mere 28 miles from us) will be finished and they want to stay here while they close on the house, clean the place and move their furniture in. I hope I'll have my energy back for my next ride in a day or so.

Old 09-24-18, 03:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I did a quick 5 miles in the rain just to try the new tires I mounted, Zaffiro pro 32s.
Old 12-25-18, 11:11 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yesterday was what I jokingly call "The Three Hills of Pinellas" route - West Bay, Sand Key, and Clearwater Causeway. The argument can be made, 'cause the whole flippin' county is flat as the proverbial pancake. Naturally I had to stop halfway 'round to fix a flat. Looks like the rim strip is torn. Need. New. Velox.
Old 02-14-19, 08:22 AM
ArmChairRider

Bikes: 630 Beach Bike Schwinn Hurricane ATB

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Well the "B n B" closed Saturday after our out-of-town friends left.
That B n B stuff can tire anyone out. Had a few myself...hurricane refugees, PCS to Korea and just plain had to move...all that stayed here were friends of course.

It has been a while since I've been here at bikeforums.

Haven't ridden my bike in a while. I got a mod coming up that might put me back in the saddle to try it out though.

Been thinking about buying a Burgman and touring a little while I still can see and stuff.

I got a "wildlife" picture that I freeze framed off of You Tube. A couple of fellas in Florida.

"There is nothing over there, right?"

Think GEICO
Old 02-25-19, 11:24 AM
RonH
Life is good

I finally got out today now that both hand surgeries are behind me. Haven't ridden in the past 3 weeks and last period of regular riding was in mid-December. Felt good to get out. Rode 15 miles.

Likes For RonH:
Old 08-10-19, 11:29 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, like every year, watching Le Tour guilted me into wanting to ride again. UNLIKE every other year, though, I found myself in Bozeman, MT this past week, where the whole city is criss-crossed with an extensive network of bike paths, trails, and singletrack. The owner of the AirBnB where we were staying said we could use his bikes, which was cool of him. Couple of quick jaunts around the trail system and up one really nasty rocky hill on an old Stumpjumper reminded me of why I don't like mountain biking.

Back home in Hoggetown, done two road rides this week - 15 miles on Thursday and 18 1/2 this morning. Didn't even have to stand for the hills on Millhopper. Guess all that hiking at 6000ft+ in Montana paid off. Anyhow, it's time to reintegrate regular rides into the evening schedules. Gonna aim for doing the long ride at the Tour de Tow end of next month.
Old 09-03-19, 08:39 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been getting off my duff and on the bike almost semi-regularly. Unfortunately my bike computer's at the inlaws', so I'm never sure how far I've ridden 'til I've gotten home and plotted it out on Strava. I figured I'd done about 26, 27 miles on Saturday but it turned out I'd managed just shy of 35. Not bad given the constant and ever-shifting headwinds. Even more wind this morning, but at least it was steadily out of the northeast. Managed to claw out another 15 today, and at a fairly brisk pace most of it. I'm starting to think the 65 miles at Bartow on the 21st is gonna be doable after all. Anyone else planning on doing Tour de Tow? Wanna hook up and troll around the long course at a less-than-breakneck pace? Message me!
Old 09-15-19, 09:25 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, so much for THAT ride! Did 46 miles yesterday, down the Pinellas Trail, across Treasure Island, up Gulf Blvd, into Clearwater, up to Dunedin and back down to Largo. Lots of really stiff wind. Made going over the Sand Key bridge really fun. NOT. So today I figure I'll just tool up to Dunedin and back, no hills, nice recovery ride. Two flats before I even get out of the DRIVEWAY! Both punctures are on the RIM side of the tube. *SIGH* !#@@#$%@#$% old rim tape. Oh yay, the inlaws have some rolls of Velox in th' garage. Off we go, up the trail. Make it about three miles and my. seat. post. CRACKS. Saddle's flopping back and forth and all around. WHAT?!!! Guess after 28 years I hit the fatigue limit on the aluminum there. Off to scare up a new seatpost.

Old 09-22-19, 08:55 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tour de Tow! Did 63 miles and didn't die.

The trusty rusty steed, ready to go

The fuzzy rusty rider, hopefully as ready as the bike

Out on the road with my fellow troopers from Gainesville Chip and Nancy on their tandem. Having someone to work with really helps with the headwinds.

The world famous BARN rest stop at 40 miles in. Cookies, bananas and (for those crack-brained enough to like such things) pickle juice.

DONE! And in not-bad time too! As long as there's still someone out on the course when you finish you've done well.
Old 10-17-19, 08:00 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mrz80
Make it about three miles and my. seat. post. CRACKS. Saddle's flopping back and forth and all around. WHAT?!!! Guess after 28 years I hit the fatigue limit on the aluminum there. Off to scare up a new seatpost.

I had noticed my saddle was a little loose on my Miyata for a couple of rides (you know, the cussing of starting a ride and remembering something needs tweaking). Finally remembered to look at it pre ride and found the SR Laprade seatpost was split, not as bad as yours, the SR 2 piece is pinned to prevent rotation and the outer post was splitting at the pin. I was irritated because I like the look of a fluted seatpost, but it turns out SR made them in 2 piece and 1 piece so I was able to find one on fleabay with flutes and the right diameter.

Yesterday's ride was cut short by a pretty viscous rainstorm. I had an eye on the weather, but I got delayed getting out of the office. I would have had a 15MPH tailwind if I could have made it to the turn before the skies opened up, but I did not and wound up riding in a downpour with a 15MPH crosswind and lightning so I bailed at a gas station and waited for my wife to go by on her way home.
Old 10-20-19, 03:27 PM
RonH
Life is good

Haven't been on here in a while. Seems retirement gets busier the longer one is retired.
Now that the "storm" has passed I'll be out tomorrow.

Likes For RonH:
Old 10-26-19, 02:56 PM
mrz80
Luddite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did the 55 miler at the Santa Fe ride here in Gainesville this morning. Along with the ride to and from between home and the start/finish it was right on 60 miles total. Plenty of headwinds out there, but at least the downpour didn't hit 'til this afternoon. Right now my legs feel like old concrete sidewalks shot through with cracks and tree roots.
Old 03-19-20, 04:31 PM
Bizsmom

Bikes: Marin Lombard 2020

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode a 6 mile loop on roads with cars...previously been sticking to bike paths but decided I had to face the traffic and get comfortable at some point...
Old 03-22-20, 03:54 PM
bwrench

Bikes: Scott CR1, Cannondale quick5, Actionbent tusanami

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was my first day out on my bike in 6 months. Last winter I pulled the tricep tendon from my right arm, so that pretty much got me off the bike. Yesterday was my maiden voyage on my new used actionbent short wheelbase underseat steer bike. I bit off 16 miles around the Chiwaawa loop. I will only say that I have a lot of room for improvement
Old 05-11-20, 09:17 PM
txtricrossryder

Location: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana for work, but home is Texas!

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3500

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode today

Nothing impressive. 12 miles in Hammond, LA around Southeastern University. Looking forward to being back in Texas riding. I had a Shock Top White Belgium later tonight. Chilled it in my freezer.
Miss my 2006 Specialized Tricross Comp
Old 06-18-20, 06:05 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Yesterday's ride was noteworthy. I made a list of projects to work on when I got laid off due to the Rona shutdown-but apparently I'm essential so I never got laid off and just had a massive project list that kept me occupied doing things off the bike in my spare time. Yesterday I took the day off work and went to ride in circles and play in traffic, literally. Florida has been installing more roundabouts and in an effort to educate the motoring public the DOT reached out to my club and asked if we had some volunteers who could display how a traffic circle works with vehicular/cyclist/pedestrian traffic. One of the things I didn't know was that the concrete apron around the island is intended for semi trucks to have a place to put their trailer wheels. It was a good experience overall, and hopefully will produce positive results.
Old 05-27-22, 01:41 PM
BlackhawkFPV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding the jump lines @The Vortex section of @Santos Trails in Ocala FL today, anyone want to hit the dirt jumps? Practice for July Jump Jam!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.