Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Never seen this crank set up before. What the? How the?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Never seen this crank set up before. What the? How the?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-23, 06:31 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I have no problem with the large difference in size between the two rings, what I'm complaining about is the chain gouging up the chainring bolts and the shelf for the missing middle ring. The "correct" way to do this is by putting the big ring in the middle position, leaving the outer position vacant. Or you can mount a pants guard / bash guard where the big ring is supposed to go. I put "correct" in scare-quotes because it's still not fully optimized IMHO, it has all the extra spindle length and Q-factor of a triple.

Yes I know not everyone minds a wide Q, some prefer it, I'm just talking about what I consider inelegant engineering. And nobody should care what I think! When it's your bike, you set it up however you like. Me, if I wanted a compact-double, I'd use a crank made to be that way, like a Stronglight 99, TA Cyclotouriste, many others.

On the other hand, "off-label" uses of parts, for other than how they were intended, often shows creativity and can even work better than the factory spec. I'm all for it,,, sometimes.

Mark B
On the OP bike the shelves look like they are below the ring level.
Old 03-05-23, 04:04 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I run a couple 44/28’s they shift fine I don’t think it’d be any worse with a couple more in the outer or a couple smaller on the inner
Old 03-05-23, 08:36 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 319 Posts
After looking at the photos in the OP I just want to talk about what looks like the use of a Zefal HPX pump as a kickstand! We're seeing creative thinking in more ways than one from the owner of this bike
Old 03-05-23, 07:40 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I suspect that there are some minimal spacers under the small ring's mounting points, but considered that the shelves might allow the chain to flow to the small ring without risk of skating between the widely-spaced rings.

Shimano's and other's compact doubles have increased chainring spacing relative to earlier 39-53T chainsets, with the chain-guiding feature built into the somewhat conical inside face of the big ring. Perhaps the tab shelves are serving the same purpose?
Old 03-05-23, 08:58 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I suspect that there are some minimal spacers under the small ring's mounting points, but considered that the shelves might allow the chain to flow to the small ring without risk of skating between the widely-spaced rings.

Shimano's and other's compact doubles have increased chainring spacing relative to earlier 39-53T chainsets, with the chain-guiding feature built into the somewhat conical inside face of the big ring. Perhaps the tab shelves are serving the same purpose?
As I pointed out, the shelves are under the level of the chainring, but the outer chainring bolts could act as lifters.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-06-23, 10:30 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Classic 'wide step'. I saw TAs and Stronglight 99s set up that way back in the day. Yeah, didn't work great.
Looks like they were taking too wide of a step.

I just remounted the chainrings yesterday, on my 6603 Ultegra triples, but still need to dial in the derailleurs. I had a 24t granny gear that just wasn't quite working for chain wrap, so I swapped in a 26t, which seems much better. 👍

I mounted 2 middle rings, both well ramped, in 39t & 42t. That should make it easier to goof around, and try half-step shifting. Even if I never really use the 42t, it's a pretty good cuff-guard, for the 39t. 🙂
Old 03-06-23, 11:57 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
For all the discussion, I am surprised nobody's gone and tried it yet! I like wide-step and narrow Q. Maybe I'll give it a go and see if it works. It would be a good use for all my old 110-74 cranks from back when I used to prefer triples. Nowadays, I treat a wide step x wide cassette like a 1x with bailout gear(s). Currently using a 50-26 TA with Mountech. No trouble shifting. XTR rear on the classic 11-34. Wide range, narrow Q. But French cranks be spendy.

After I brazed some canti posts with bronze using MAPPro/air (no oxygen), a wise person commented that a single good data point is worth a thousand expert opinions. The same approach is needed here.

Last edited by scarlson; 03-07-23 at 12:02 AM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 03-07-23, 07:05 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 147 Posts

I have the same crank on the ‘83 Trek 970, normally a triple, set up as a mid-compact double (52-36). Shifts well with a Supebre FD.
Likes For velomateo:
Old 03-16-23, 08:07 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Seems might be factory.....

​​​​​​https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...599808863.html

​​​​​​

NEW Rene Herse crankset - $375 (Fairmount)

Brand new Rene Herse Cycles premium crankset. 9-12 speed double, 177mm arms, 42/26 rings. These retail for 490 + shipping - when they're in stock.

$375

Old 03-16-23, 09:06 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I saw TAs and Stronglight 99s set up that way back in the day. Yeah, didn't work great.
Schwinn put a ramp between the rings to help with wide range gear changes:
Old 03-16-23, 09:49 AM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
If the owner set up the outer ring in the middle ring spot it would be fine--I have a few 86bcd cranksets (SR Apex, Super Custom, and Custom) set up as 46/28 and they shift absolutely perfectly with the right FD and smart friction shifting. They make for great touring/mountain environment setups.
Likes For fvernon:
Old 03-16-23, 12:53 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
I'm shifting a 42/24 with a GRX 400 FD and Sram Rival 22 lever. Had the same crank with 42/20 and Exage 500LX triple front derailleur, same levers. They work fine.

In order to shift these massive gaps I've noticed that a short cage derailleur with a smooth cage works 99% of the time, derailleurs with cutouts and too many steps in the cage don't work for this kind of a gap for some odd reason.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 03-16-23, 03:52 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
...Shimano CX70 is my shift-O-weapon of choice....
That's the shorty they marketed for cross, right? . I thought my 7spd LX triples with tweaked cages were good until I lucked into one of those.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 03-18-23, 07:17 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Bolting a ring to the 110bcd chainring to help the shift and protect the ends of the spider arms seems like it would help. There might be some trial and error to figure the diameter.

I found and bought a shift aide ring for 3 pin 116bcd cranks on ebay. It wont arrive for a while, but I'm guessing it is used as a spacer to ad a 3rd "granny" ring. 36t is the smallest available ring, so I'll check how much overlap the "factory" ring has for 36t.
Old 03-18-23, 07:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Around 1974 (I remember the year because I used that number for my combination cable lock, figuring it would be easy to remember), Gitane installed a steeply ramped black plastic disk between the chainrings for their low-end drop bar model. The chain invariably slid halfway down the ramp and stayed there, no matter how frantically the rider spun the pedals. So we ended up having to disassemble every one of those cranksets to replace the disk with the appropriate spacers.

I've never seen one of those Gitanes since that still has the disk in place.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-20-23, 07:23 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Around 1974 (I remember the year because I used that number for my combination cable lock, figuring it would be easy to remember), Gitane installed a steeply ramped black plastic disk between the chainrings for their low-end drop bar model. The chain invariably slid halfway down the ramp and stayed there, no matter how frantically the rider spun the pedals. So we ended up having to disassemble every one of those cranksets to replace the disk with the appropriate spacers.

I've never seen one of those Gitanes since that still has the disk in place.
So this would have been used where the smaller 116 bcd chainring bolts directly to the larger chainring, and not the crank spider?