Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 02-27-19, 11:45 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Am I correct to assume that Light Bicycle sent you these photos?

How long was it from the order date until they sent them?
Yup, they sent me these before boxing them up for shipment. I'll post up my own when they arrive and I get them mounted. It took four weeks from order date, but I knew they would be delayed with the Chinese New Year when I ordered, I believe normally the turnaround is quicker.

Originally Posted by robbyville
All these look great and I hope that everyone has as much success with them as I have. Note, I don't believe that their North America Distributor is US based. They are in Abbotsford British Columbia, Canada hence the extra charge if you use a credit card. I suggest paypal to avoid. Looks like going the China route can save some dollars though, but I wanted the I9 hubs and mentally I felt better dealing with them should there be any warranty issues, problems, etc.

Rides4Beer, I hope you enjoy the new Conti 5000's, I just threw a pair of the tubeless variety on my wheels and so far really like the profile and grip. How are the textured brake tracks working out?
Didn't mean to hijack your thread lol I'm looking forward to the GP5Ks, they'll have more volume than my current setup, so comfort should be improved. Plus they'll be more aero on these wheels, should be better all around. Don't have them yet, they're on the way now, it'll probably be a couple weeks before I receive them and have a chance to get them out on the road. I'm hoping the braking will be pretty good with a set of swissstop black prince pads. I'm pretty light on the brakes as it is, hate giving up my speed lol
Old 02-27-19, 12:50 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Yup, they sent me these before boxing them up for shipment. I'll post up my own when they arrive and I get them mounted. It took four weeks from order date, but I knew they would be delayed with the Chinese New Year when I ordered, I believe normally the turnaround is quicker.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread lol I'm looking forward to the GP5Ks, they'll have more volume than my current setup, so comfort should be improved. Plus they'll be more aero on these wheels, should be better all around. Don't have them yet, they're on the way now, it'll probably be a couple weeks before I receive them and have a chance to get them out on the road. I'm hoping the braking will be pretty good with a set of swissstop black prince pads. I'm pretty light on the brakes as it is, hate giving up my speed lol
no worries at all! I’d be happy to see this thread turn into a consolidation of people’s experiences with these wheels. Didn’t realize you hadn’t received them yet but will look forward to your review!
Old 02-27-19, 01:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
those look really nice. How close to the projected weight are they?
Didn't weigh them, wasn't really an item I cared about as part of the project. The Onyx 15x100mm and 12x142mm are MTB hubs, so overbuilt and not light ...and the Sprag clutch they use to be so silent is "heavy" as well (215g front, 460gr rear for centerlock). IIRC the estimate was 1850grams.....which the difference from i9 hubs to Onyx is 200grams easy, but you go from absolute silent and no pawl vibration, to a machine gun.

From the little I got to enjoy them before the weather to to absolute ice/snow snot the last almost 2 months, very consistent mass distribution in the rim, and very smooth hubs. Not at all as reactive to cross wind as I feared--although it helps having them shod with 40mm tires.
Old 02-27-19, 01:16 PM
Rides4Beer

no worries at all! I’d be happy to see this thread turn into a consolidation of people’s experiences with these wheels. Didn’t realize you hadn’t received them yet but will look forward to your review!
That would be good, a place for people to see real world reviews, pics, measurements, etc. I'll def post up once they come in.
Old 03-04-19, 05:57 PM
Rides4Beer

Wheels came in today, and perfect timing too! An emergency stop to avoid hitting an off leash dog on the MUP killed the rear tire on my alloys.

In my haste to get them mounted, I did not get weights on my scale, so I'll just have to trust the LB scale. The 25mm GP5000s measured 27.1 at 85psi, and the rims measure just a hair over 28mm. Slightly violates the 105% rule, but it's close enough that I'm not gonna worry about it and will keep the 25 up front. I went with 85/95psi, I've been running 95/110 on my 23mm GP4Ks. They rode great, might bump the rear to 100, felt a lil bouncy, but maybe that's just how it is with wider tires?

First ride report, did my usual 30 mile route, handling and comfort are definitely improved!! There's one road with really rough pavement that makes the internal cables rattle, it felt smooth with no rattling! Also a section of MUP that I hit on this route that has a bunch of ripples from tree roots growing under it, they'll rattle your fillings out if you hit it too fast, still bouncy, but much more comfortable.

It was pretty windy, so also a good test of cross wind handling, which was great. They actually handle better in the wind than my alloys. I read a post from Hambini in another thread talking about how when your tire is wider than the rim, the air detaches earlier and makes more turbulence, which actually makes the hit from the crosswinds worse, and I absolutely believe it now. When the wind would hit my other wheels (25mm tire/21mm rim) it would jerk the handle bars. Now when the wind hits, it's more of a soft push than a quick jerk, much more manageable.

Didn't really get to test speed, because my legs are shot from a trail race this past weekend. But there's one hill on this route with a curve at the bottom, that I consistently max out at 46mph on (if it's not windy), I wasn't able to get my normal push going into the hill, but still hit 46mph. More importantly tho, that curve at the bottom, on my other wheels I feel like I'm right on the edge of control taking that curve at full speed, but today I felt fully planted and in control. Looking forward to taking that hill when my legs are fresh and there isn't a 15mph headwind.

Braking is great with the Swissstop Black Prince pads, had no issues and feel like they brake just as well as my alloy wheels (it's dry out today fyi). Overal fit and finish is perfect, couldn't find a single flaw anywhere. I could not be happier with my purchase.

Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-04-19, 09:57 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Wheels came in today

I could not be happier with my purchase.

Your bike/wheels look great.

I need some more info about that repair kit/pouch

Other than it being in the small chainring, I can't see anything that detracts from it being completely "HOT".

Last edited by noodle soup; 03-04-19 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 11:20 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts

Other than it being in the small chainring, I can't see anything that detracts from it being completely "HOT".
ditto, and great feedback! Look forward to your next in depth review. Are you riding them with tubes or tubeless?
Old 03-05-19, 05:55 AM
Rides4Beer

Knew I forgot something! lol I'll get some more pics this evening, hopefully in the sun, the wheels look great when the light hits them!

The repair kit is a Lenzyne micro bag, mounted with the Wolf Tooth B-RAD system. I didn't like having the bag under my seat, and then I was carrying it on of the cages, but I knew I'd need both bottles when it got warmer. It's a system that mountain bikers use to add more bottles and bags to their bikes, or to just move a bottle when there's not enough room. I used the three hole mount for the bag, and a two hole mount to move the seatpost cage up a bit.

ditto, and great feedback! Look forward to your next in depth review. Are you riding them with tubes or tubeless?
With tubes, Conti Race Lights. I've had good luck with those with the GP4Ks, so I stuck with them. Not sure if I want to try tubeless, maybe one day. I'm looking forward to testing the wheels on some fast segments when my legs are fresh, but even if for some reason they're not faster (which I'm pretty sure they will be), they're worth the money just for the handling, comfort, and aesthetics.
Old 03-05-19, 08:43 AM
noodle soup

The repair kit is a Lenzyne micro bag, mounted with the Wolf Tooth B-RAD system.

What size mount/strap kit did you use? It looks like a perfect fit for the Lezyne Micro Caddy..
Old 03-05-19, 09:01 AM
Rides4Beer

What size mount/strap kit did you use? It looks like a perfect fit for the Lezyne Micro Caddy..
The accessory mount kit comes with a strap, but I'm just using the strap that's on the bag, looping it through the mount plate the way you would around the seat rails. It's hard to see in that picture, but you can kind of see where I had to notch the right side slot so that the buckle would fit through, which was easy to do with a file, the plate is aluminum.
Old 03-05-19, 09:52 AM
noodle soup

I'll get some more pics this evening, hopefully in the sun, the wheels look great when the light hits them!.
They sure do

This bike isn't mine(it's on their website).
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-05-19, 10:11 AM
Rides4Beer

They sure do
This bike isn't mine(it's on their website).
That's one of the pictures I've been drooling over while I was waiting for my wheels to arrive! lol
Old 03-05-19, 02:27 PM
Rides4Beer

Need some better scenery, but at least the sun is shining! I'm also going to hit the wheels with a bit of polish to give them a more satin sheen.

Old 03-05-19, 09:04 PM
Rides4Beer

Second ride report, went on a group ride tonight and they performed fantastically again. Did a lot of coasting because they hold speed really well (even when riding outside the group). Mountain climb and descent with no issues. Hard on the brakes after a long fast section at the bottom of the mountain, stopped and felt the brake tracks, barely warm.

Not sure if it's the grooved track, or if this is just how Swissstop pads are, but I don't think they're going to last very long. But maybe that's just the price you pay for good carbon braking.
Old 03-05-19, 10:05 PM
noodle soup

Not sure if it's the grooved track, or if this is just how Swissstop pads are, but I don't think they're going to last very long. But maybe that's just the price you pay for good carbon braking.
It's a small.price to pay, for good braking performance.

A set of Shimano JO2A disc brake pads is about $17, and I go through 4-5 sets per year. I don't care about the cost, if my brakes work great when I need them.
Old 03-05-19, 10:09 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rides4beer

hot
Old 03-06-19, 06:21 AM
Rides4Beer

It's a small.price to pay, for good braking performance.

A set of Shimano JO2A disc brake pads is about $17, and I go through 4-5 sets per year. I don't care about the cost, if my brakes work great when I need them.
Absolutely, I don't mind at all, they stop great and that's all that matters.
Old 03-09-19, 08:58 AM
noodle soup

I got a reply from LB about the lack of progress(8 days in "sanding" process). They said the black/stealth decals I ordered were out of stock, but that they are now back, and the wheelset will ship out on Wednesday.
Old 03-09-19, 09:13 AM
Rides4Beer

I got a reply from LB about the lack of progress(8 days in "sanding" process). They said the black/stealth decals I ordered were out of stock, but that they are now back, and the wheelset will ship out on Wednesday.
Glad to hear it! Looking forward to seeing them!
Old 03-10-19, 06:37 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

I hear you, have had the same challenges with multiple wheel sets and tire combos. I will say though that these new Schwalbe’s are really different and they went on my other wheels just as easily (although as mentioned no chance in heck of getting them seated without a compressor). Will let you know as well when I put my next set of tires on these as the current ones are probably half way through their lives!
New schwalbes? When were these launched. I'm using Pro ones which I bought a year or so ago and they are almost impossible to mountain on my rims. Drives me to tears.
Old 03-10-19, 08:50 AM
deepakvrao

Would this affect individual imports?

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...-pesky-tariffs
Old 03-10-19, 09:03 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Would this affect individual imports?

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...-pesky-tariffs

You're still in Bangalore, India? It probably won't effect you. If you're in the USA--it is complicated.

A) The headline tariffs of "25%" on aluminum and steel....are for unfinished raw metal (as quantified by value/weight)--NOT finished or quasi-finished product. Meaning if you import a 500kg steel brick, you pay and extra 25%. If you import 500kg of steel spokes--you don't pay that particular tariff. If you order a set of bicycle wheels--you don't pay these either. UNFINISHED here is the key. There's an entire field in business called "tariff engineering" intended to find ways to bypass tariffs (see the Chicken Tax)

B) Lots of bicycle related tariffs got added--more likely to hit home that the raw metal tariffs. On things like ball bearings, bicycle components, etc.

D) It is up to the shipper to correctly file the bill of shipping as to what as in the box and to correctly ding it for tariffs. Something FedEx/UPS/DHL are renowned for not doing.

E) Now if you're in the USA and are ordering Light-Bicycle wheels...it depends on if you order from their US distributor, or are doing a custom order shipping from China. My set came from their USA warehouse, no extra tariffs. Cannot speak for direct-from-China.
Old 03-10-19, 09:15 AM
deepakvrao

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to seeing them!
Didn't know how to tag a person, so quoted instead.

Any reason you guys didn't prefer to get the 45 and 55 rims which have the U shape? Isn't U supposed to be better in wind?
Old 03-10-19, 09:30 AM
noodle soup

Any reason you guys didn't prefer to get the 45 and 55 rims which have the U shape? Isn't U supposed to be better in wind?
I wanted to go wider(for my Domane Disc), and these aren't the old school V shape. Compare the LB profile to these from Enve.

https://www.enve.com/en/products/ses-4-5-ar/
Old 03-10-19, 10:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Just do an @theirname Doesn't need to be capitalized, but you do need spaces (not underscore), if there are any (like between noodle and soup)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.