Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Incident today involving a passing car

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 08:58 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

Was riding today on a pretty straight country road, and two cars are coming in the opposite direction. One, a pickup truck, decides to pass the other, clearly not seeing me, but with time for me to react. So I ease over to the grass, continuing to pedal forward, and the three vehicles (car, car & bike) arrive at pretty much the same time, three-abreast. The ''middle'' (aka passing) car was probably going 50-60 mph.

I could see it unfolding in plenty of time to make other arrangements, and I had a convenient escape route instead of a ditch or worse, so it didn't make me that nervous. But hours later, I'm thinking 'Holy Crap!' Wonder if either driver wet his pants for a split-second.

I guess there's no question in this. Maybe just needed to share it somewhere since I doubt my wife would enjoy hearing about it. Or to remind folks to stay alert to their surroundings and the unpredictability of motor vehicles.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 03-08-23, 09:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 1,793 Posts
I had a similar experience recently. The passing vehicle (also a pickup) driver clearly saw me when I flipped him off. He had the temerity to start honking at me. Clearly I was road scum impeding his progress, nothing more, and I didn't know my place in the pecking order.

The message is clear: Get the hell out of the way or die.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-08-23, 09:30 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I had a similar experience recently. The passing vehicle (also a pickup) driver clearly saw me when I flipped him off. He had the temerity to start honking at me. Clearly I was road scum impeding his progress, nothing more, and I didn't know my place in the pecking order.

The message is clear: Get the hell out of the way or die.
Wow, that's just sinister. Wish more of these criminals could be held accountable. In my case, I'm assuming the driver didn't see me. But who knows.
Old 03-08-23, 09:39 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by CoogansBluff
Wow, that's just sinister. Wish more of these criminals could be held accountable. In my case, I'm assuming the driver didn't see me. But who knows.
You just made the case for having a forward facing white (flashing or non-flashing) headlight. I'm partial to using a flashing headlight, myself. That way, oncoming drivers will definitely see you.
Old 03-08-23, 09:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I saw that a few years ago. No shoulder. A ditch. Just before the car got to me, I came to a 24' widening of the pavement for a farm dirt road turnoff into a field. Moved over. Car passed me (doing more like 70+; a hot Camaro type passing a long line of traffic ahead of him). Whew! Then "the ditch!" Yanked the front wheel back onto the road despite it being in gravel. Bike made it nicely. (I'd just mounted probably the best ever tires to make that sudden turn.)

Somebody was looking after me. I had no idea that wide stretch was there until I had to get off the road.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-08-23, 09:56 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
You just made the case for having a forward facing white (flashing or non-flashing) headlight. I'm partial to using a flashing headlight, myself. That way, oncoming drivers will definitely see you.
I have one I use on every ride (along with a Garmin Radar tail light).

The guy clearly saw me and did it anyway. That isn't uncommon at that location (which is the intersection of a road and a gravel fire-road which is the collective trail-head for a state park on one side and a certain university of CA on the other side, so loads of mountain bikers, kids, etc., who piss off drivers that think they own the road and happily drive 75 mph in a 40 mph zone.
Old 03-08-23, 09:58 PM
CoogansBluff

Hadn't thought of that. I've actually got one but hadn't been using it.
Old 03-08-23, 10:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Unless someone is a sociopath, it will give you a great deal of extra protection. (So will a tail light, especially the radar version). I purchased the little cubic Bontrager one, which turns on automagically (along with Viara radar) when I turn on my Garmin 530. I ride a lot under the redwood canopy, so it is essential, even during the daytime.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-09-23, 01:11 AM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
The best is when they intentionally attempt to clip you to "teach you a lesson"
Likes For Spandex_fairy:
Old 03-09-23, 06:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Unless someone is a sociopath...
We are talking about prevalence estimates for the full-blown Axis II disorder of 0.5–3.5% of the population, so there's a chambered bullet or two out there on every ride.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-09-23, 06:43 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
"I'm in a big hurry to go somewhere very important and I'm more important than everyone else"...typical of many drives...most are middle aged adults, not kids...very few police around so they get away with it...not much you can do...even if you catch it on video the police generally don't do anything unless they see it themselves.
We've devolved into a world where a holes get away with far too much...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-09-23, 06:57 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
We have summered in the foothills of the Bighorn Mountains of WY for 43 years and the riding is remarkable. The only way I can explain it is to guess the locals dodge a lot of deer and other wildlife so pay attention and take care. With perhaps a couple of exceptions in what has to be thousands of passings when passing on a narrow two lane or even a wide highway they move as far left of me as they can in the oncoming lane. I have twice notised in my rear view mirror a car/truck coming up on me slow down behind me on a highway as an oncoming car/truck, the one behind me and I were going to be close when they passed. Thus allowing the vehicle behind me to pass as far physically left of me as the highway would allow.
Old 03-09-23, 08:39 AM
CoogansBluff

Unless someone is a sociopath, it will give you a great deal of extra protection. (So will a tail light, especially the radar version). I purchased the little cubic Bontrager one, which turns on automagically (along with Viara radar) when I turn on my Garmin 530. I ride a lot under the redwood canopy, so it is essential, even during the daytime.
I've got the tail light w/ radar. Can't imagine that I rode for a time without one. Best bike purchase I've made.
Likes For CoogansBluff:
Old 03-09-23, 09:00 AM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I use a forward-facing white flashing light always.
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 03-09-23, 09:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
We are talking about prevalence estimates for the full-blown Axis II disorder of 0.5–3.5% of the population, so there's a chambered bullet or two out there on every ride.
Which explains why the OP's experience has happened to me quite a few times, even with a daytime headlight.

I've got the tail light w/ radar. Can't imagine that I rode for a time without one. Best bike purchase I've made.
Don't know if it's the best bike purchase I've made, but it's pretty great. I've never seen a post from someone who's tried it and didn't like it.
Old 03-09-23, 10:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Was riding today on a pretty straight country road, and two cars are coming in the opposite direction. One, a pickup truck, decides to pass the other, clearly not seeing me, but with time for me to react. So I ease over to the grass, continuing to pedal forward, and the three vehicles (car, car & bike) arrive at pretty much the same time, three-abreast. The ''middle'' (aka passing) car was probably going 50-60 mph.
I could see it unfolding in plenty of time to make other arrangements, and I had a convenient escape route instead of a ditch or worse, so it didn't make me that nervous. But hours later, I'm thinking 'Holy Crap!' Wonder if either driver wet his pants for a split-second.
I guess there's no question in this. Maybe just needed to share it somewhere since I doubt my wife would enjoy hearing about it. Or to remind folks to stay alert to their surroundings and the unpredictability of motor vehicles.
maybe add a front light?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-09-23, 10:35 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
In my example, it is near an academic institution, on a road leading to where many faculty live, so the estimate of 3.5% is an order of magnitude too small.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-09-23, 11:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10154 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
In my example, it is near an academic institution, on a road leading to where many faculty live, so the estimate of 3.5% is an order of magnitude too small.
Oh, the stories I could (and do) tell!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-09-23, 03:27 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Happens semi regularly I'm sorry to say, it's almost always a pickup around here, and it's usually not unintentional...
Old 03-09-23, 04:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I've had this happen to me from time to time.

I don't have a daytime light. But, I always wave my arm so I should be visible. I've never had a car give up and pull back behind the vehicle they're following. Fortunately the roads it has happened on have had good enough shoulders.

The worst I've had was around Crater Lake. Car passing uphill bound bicycle. I was headed downhill at about 40 MPH. Rough road and sheer dropoff to my right, and no shoulder. I was taking the lane. So, cars passing the uphill bikes decided they should lane split, assuming I would move out from the middle of the lane. I found it to be extremely uncomfortable.
Old 03-09-23, 07:27 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I use a forward-facing white flashing light always.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've had this happen to me from time to time.

I don't have a daytime light. But, I always wave my arm so I should be visible. I've never had a car give up and pull back behind the vehicle they're following. Fortunately the roads it has happened on have had good enough shoulders...
Unfortunately, as related above, daytime lights only make sure you are SEEN, not avoided. There are definitely drivers who don't respect your right to be on any road. The only way to diminish your risk is to ride in a very rural area (fewer cars) but even then, it's still risky. I ride with front/rear lights on rural and remote roads, but I've ridden dedicated bike paths and gravel roads; they are definitely safer. We make our choices and minimize the perceived risk, but we're still taking a chance.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 03-10-23, 04:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
It's about the only time I ever flip anyone off.
Likes For znomit:
Old 03-10-23, 07:13 AM
Chuck Naill

I don't flip anyone off. People carry guns or other implements that could be used as a weapon against a vulnerable human on a device requiring balancing to remain erect.

Where I used to ride was in a very rural area with two lane roads and no shoulder. I felt the people who drove without regard toward me might have thought I wasn't their neighbor. A friend once told me a race director complained to him that his driveway gravel was on the road and he needed to be removed because she was planning a road race. He told her she could borrow his shovel.

I know these bothers some and I know we have a right to use public roads, but have you ever had to follow a group of 15 riders on a rural road for five miles?
Old 03-10-23, 10:59 AM
Spandex_fairy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I don't flip anyone off. People carry guns or other implements that could be used as a weapon against a vulnerable human on a device requiring balancing to remain erect.
If it weren't so inconvenient, I'd carry while riding. It's amazing that seeing a cyclist on the road can trigger people's psychopathy.
Old 03-10-23, 11:17 AM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by Spandex_fairy
If it weren't so inconvenient, I'd carry while riding. It's amazing that seeing a cyclist on the road can trigger people's psychopathy.
I am not going to carry. I have never in 68 years felt I needed one on my hip.

Last edited by Chuck Naill; 03-10-23 at 12:00 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.