Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the fastest you've gone on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's the fastest you've gone on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 05:01 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 391 Posts
Bike calculator for what its worth.

76 mph down -12% grade = 4030 watts power required.
Old 03-16-23, 05:44 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

76 mph would take me negative 661 watts, my poor brakes.

CdA 0.153, Crr 0.005 and RhO of 1.22 kg/m3 250# bike and rider

Zero head or tail wind assumed
Old 03-16-23, 06:27 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
92kmh during dowhill, 65kmh on flat and near 40kmh uphill. During race the most high average speed was 42 (for now)
With the correct team or with a truck acting as aerodynamic shield.
Old 03-16-23, 06:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
On yesterday's ride, I saw where a vehicle had made a hole in a wall at the end of a dead-end street. When I glanced at it, I thought that someone with some masonry tools and skills could reshape the that hole into the rough outline of a bipedal coyote.
Oh, oh, you've got to go talk to the owner about that! They'll probably have to knock down at least part of that wall to rebuild it, so why not start where the coyote's ears would be?

And I bet it's in Arizona...
Old 03-16-23, 07:24 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
65mph coming down the backside of Bear mtn during the Killington Stage Race back in the '90's. It was terrifying as I could feel the pull of the sweeping turns...didn't know how fast I went until the end of the race when looking at my computer...yikes...but it was fun ! ! !
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 03-16-23, 08:42 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
All I have to say is some of y'all are effing nuts!
Old 03-16-23, 08:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
have had a few bikes that experienced speed wobbles on a bangin' downhill, a few that didn't and a few that i just don't wanna know.
That happened to me on my Ritchey, the very first time I exceeded 40 mph on it. Scared the hell out of me! I got a bike fit a month or so later which moved my mass a bit farther forward, and after that I never had a hint of a wobble even at 45. I realize the wobble might have been unrelated to that, but overall the bike felt more stable on descents after.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-16-23, 09:55 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
58 MPH in Colorado, down Fremont Pass coming from Copper mountain and going down towards Leadville. Not sure I enjoy anything over 50 anymore. Goal was to hit 60 on that pass next year but with a toddler at home, I figured it was not worth even going 50 anymore. Sad to give up a life goal! I'll just coast next time on these passes. I think that gets you to 40 easily.
Old 03-16-23, 10:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
Ridden as a single, it is named "The Descender".
Old 03-17-23, 08:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Since I put a Velo on my bike a few weeks back, the fastest I've gone was 36mph (58kph), and that was earlier today going down about a 2% grade. I know I've gone faster for shorter lengths but this section of road is about three miles long where it's fairly easy to maintain that pace. Have to be honest, scares the $#*t out of me. Not so much the going fast part as how very bad a crash could be. I would do 100 on a bike if I knew there was no chance of a crash. But just the "what if" factor really scares me. Because there are a lot of mountains out here, there are certainly some roads/trails where I could potentially go much faster than that, but I honestly don't think I have it in me. Part of getting older is realizing just how much less bendy I am than I used to be.
Not to psyche you out, but hitting the deck at anything above 30 MPH can lead to a less than desirable outcome. The key is to ride with the same mindset at 40 as 30 or 20. If you are sure in your bike handling skills, and incrementally bump up your top speed by a MPH or two at a time, it will become the norm and you won’t give it another thought. I bet you don’t think about getting killed in a motor vehicle every time you drive at highway speeds or even 50 MPH.

As you can see from the responses above, people can and do master fear. It is possible and is just shutting down defeating self-talk, and instead saying “I got this”.

I have to confess though, that any speed for me over 50 MPH does make me uneasy these days but I never tell myself crashing will be bad, instead it’s focus, read the curves, pick the best line and look way ahead.

Old 03-17-23, 11:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Not to psyche you out, but hitting the deck at anything above 30 MPH can lead to a less than desirable outcome. The key is to ride with the same mindset at 40 as 30 or 20. If you are sure in your bike handling skills, and incrementally bump up your top speed by a MPH or two at a time, it will become the norm and you won’t give it another thought. I bet you don’t think about getting killed in a motor vehicle every time you drive at highway speeds or even 50 MPH.

As you can see from the responses above, people can and do master fear. It is possible and is just shutting down defeating self-talk, and instead saying “I got this”.

I have to confess though, that any speed for me over 50 MPH does make me uneasy these days but I never tell myself crashing will be bad, instead it’s focus, read the curves, pick the best line and look way ahead.
20-ish years ago, sitting on my top tube, going 60mph in Death Valley, I was thinking “if something goes wrong, I could die”. Part of that was knowing that help was a long way away, and it might be a while before I was even seen. I put all my faith in my skills and my bike, and succumbed to my competitive drive.

These days, 40mph makes me uncomfortable. Knowing that my reflexes and vision aren’t as good as they used to be is a factor. Being off my bike for 15 years is also a factor. I’m totally okay with not pushing the limits of tire traction and my skills.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-17-23 at 11:35 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-18-23, 06:07 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I don't attempt these speeds anymore but I used to routinely hit >50 mph speeds on steep river bluff drops. One hill greater than 20% always yields >50 mph.

A pic of the last time that I "worked" the drop on March 1, 2018:

Trike or road bike? My highest speed ever was on my Trice QNT, at 52 mph. It felt pretty safe, even though that's mostly an illusion. On two wheels my anxiety rapidly increases once I get past the low 40s.
Old 03-18-23, 06:32 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Trike or road bike? My highest speed ever was on my Trice QNT, at 52 mph. It felt pretty safe, even though that's mostly an illusion. On two wheels my anxiety rapidly increases once I get past the low 40s.
This was on my old Catrike Speed that I've since sold and a similar speed on my tandem. This particular drop will yield ~53 on any of my uprights without pedaling.

Old 03-18-23, 08:53 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
If we are including downhills.....53 mph. It was in Pomfret, CT on the last day of a 3-day, 300 mile trip from ME to CT.
Old 03-18-23, 03:07 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

Interesting to check this stuff out. From Omnicalculator, I get 3,872W required in the drops at 76 mph down a 12% grade. Coasting down a 12% grade gets me about 53 mph. Coasting down a 24.2% grade gets me to 76 mph. Not sure how accurate that is, but I don’t doubt the numbers can get big easily, depending on weight, grade and speed.

Otto
Old 03-18-23, 04:09 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I never felt a need to attain extreme speeds in order to enjoy a ride, maybe it's just my instinct for self preservation. I have a physically demanding job which requires me to be in top physical condition and already has enough risks and I just can't afford injuries from cycling and other hobbies. A small injury can make my job very difficult, a serious injury would prevent me from doing my job. Let's get real here, injuries have a serious affect on your overall quality of life. Racers who get paid to ride are a different breed, they do this for a living, they can afford getting injured, I can't...Anything over 30 MPH is just being foolish and tempting fate, I have no need to go any faster than 30 MPH and that only happens occasionally when going downhill. When I reach about 30 MPH I start tapping the brakes and limiting my speed to prevent from going any faster. I ride singlespeed and live in flat to rolling terrain with an occasional steep hill so it's pretty easy to control speed.
Old 03-18-23, 04:15 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
ok my fastest this year.....so far lol. it was on a paved road that was badly broken up from the winter. It actually was a bit unsettling bouncing around and trying to tuck with mustache bars..still disappointed I did not hit 40 tho.

Old 03-18-23, 04:23 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I never felt a need to attain extreme speeds in order to enjoy a ride, maybe it's just my instinct for self preservation. I have a physically demanding job which requires me to be in top physical condition and already has enough risks and I just can't afford injuries from cycling and other hobbies. A small injury can make my job very difficult, a serious injury would prevent me from doing my job. Let's get real here, injuries have a serious affect on your overall quality of life. Racers who get paid to ride are a different breed, they do this for a living, they can afford getting injured, I can't...Anything over 30 MPH is just being foolish and tempting fate, I have no need to go any faster than 30 MPH and that only happens occasionally when going downhill. When I reach about 30 MPH I start tapping the brakes and limiting my speed to prevent from going any faster. I ride singlespeed and live in flat to rolling terrain with an occasional steep hill so it's pretty easy to control speed.
I wish I was wired that way. I have been a risk taker since I was a little kid according to my folks and at 64yoa I still think I am 30 yoa according to my wife. when I was 10 years old I was building ramps and making the neighbor kids and my little brother lay on the ground so I could jump over them on my bike.I guess that was a result of growing up just own the road from evel knievel, when I was about 10 or 12 years old and on a dare I road my bike off a bridge into a creek below. not sure how I did not break any bones or drown. probably one reason I still do stupid stuff is I have never gotten hurt and at 64 yoa still don't have any aches or pains.
Old 03-18-23, 04:29 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Anything over 30 MPH is just being foolish and tempting fate, I have no need to go any faster than 30 MPH and that only happens occasionally when going downhill. When I reach about 30 MPH I start tapping the brakes and limiting my speed to prevent from going any faster. I ride singlespeed and live in flat to rolling terrain with an occasional steep hill so it's pretty easy to control speed.
Please remember that your braking and cornering forces always share the combined limit of available traction. As we’ve seen from these big numbers, holding speed down can require very large braking force. Often there is a curve to be managed at speed. Brake early and go easy on the brakes when cornering at speed!

One other thing I sometimes do is to stand up tall to maximize air resistance. That helps keep things manageable without heating up brakes.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 03-18-23 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 05:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have been a risk taker since I was a little kid according to my folks and at 64yoa I still think I am 30 .
Everything in life has a certain amount of risk. I know my abilities and I don't have a problem with taking risks...But when risk becomes stupid behavior, I just refuse to participate in it. There are some risks that are not worth taking and one of those is trying to attain extreme speeds on a bicycle.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-18-23, 06:41 PM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
North of Springfield MO on the Trans Am, there is one hill that the leader's notes warned us about. It is really two descents in a row. 53 mph on a fully loaded recumbent. See miles 12-15 on the grade profile.

Hill at 12-15 miles
Old 03-18-23, 08:25 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
~45mph would be the max I've ever hit. I admit I am less comfortable with speed as I get older but I still enjoy a good descent. I feel pretty confident up to about 40mph.

Really anything above 35mph-ish and fate is no longer in your own hands (reacting to eg, a car pulling out, squirrel in the road, pothole in the shade, etc).
Old 03-18-23, 08:26 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
As a recreational rider, the fastest on flat pavement with no tailwind, 30MPH for a nano-second a few times In my 30s.

Haven’t even tried recently, but should give it a shot for a big slice of humble pie.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-18-23 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 08:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,057 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Fastest on flat pavement with no tailwind, 30MPH for a nano-second a few times.
Back in the days when I was a young, lean, crit-bro, finishing sprints would often top out at 40-41mph on a flat course. Of course, this was assisted by launching out of a pack already moving at high speed.
Old 03-18-23, 11:20 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
60 mph on redwood gulch road in Saratoga CA.
single lane rough pavement 22 percent.On a Vitus Carbone with the aluminum forks dancing around like a skeleton on a hot tin rough.
toughest part was going up the darn thing.

Last edited by cjenrick; 03-18-23 at 11:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.