Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shimano Ultegra WH-R8170-C60-TL Disc vs Reynolds AR58/62 DB Disc Tubeless advice.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shimano Ultegra WH-R8170-C60-TL Disc vs Reynolds AR58/62 DB Disc Tubeless advice.

Old 03-16-23, 03:58 AM
GdBAR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all looking for a new wheelset and these two are the options that are readily available.I need to complete the purchase within a week,I'm time limited.
Shimano is a newer model set,robust but steel ball bearings still.. 1650 gr.
Reynolds is a couple of years older model set with cartridge bearings.. 1730 gr.
Both seems very fast,stiff,durable and same price.
Shimano Ultegra C60 wheels have 21mm inner/28mm outer widths and 60mm profiles front and rear.
Reynolds AR 58/62 front wheel has 19mm inner/28mm outer width,58mm profile. Rear has 21mm inner/30mm outer widths, 62mm profile.
​​​​​​​What are your thoughts, opinions and advice on these wheelsets?
Old 03-16-23, 08:30 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Joined 2009 and this is your first post!

welcome to bike forums.

I'm not familiar with these wheels, but if you post your budget you might also get good alternatives.
me personally, I like to know how people “voted” with their own wallet.

Barry
Old 03-16-23, 09:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,786 Times in 3,304 Posts
Can you tell or measure the difference in your performance when you ride bikes with cartridge bearings or cup & cone bearings? Either is fine with me, IMO.

The Reynolds appears to be a lot flashier labeling and the Shimano more subdued. So does either fit more with how you like your bikes aesthetics?
Old 03-16-23, 11:07 AM
GdBAR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Joined 2009 and this is your first post!

welcome to bike forums.

I'm not familiar with these wheels, but if you post your budget you might also get good alternatives.
me personally, I like to know how people “voted” with their own wallet.

Barry
Thanks for the reply, Actually I've forgotten that I've created an account all those years ago..

​​​​​Unfortunately these are my only options.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Can you tell or measure the difference in your performance when you ride bikes with cartridge bearings or cup & cone bearings? Either is fine with me, IMO.

The Reynolds appears to be a lot flashier labeling and the Shimano more subdued. So does either fit more with how you like your bikes aesthetics?
You are right the difference is only marginal.I have no problems either with cartridge or cup and cone bearings.Both are fine and does the job.
I've ridden 55000 kms on my old Dura Ace 7850 C50 Clinchers before the cones gave away and the aluminum braking surface cracked,but that's on me,probably I didn't service them enough.Did at least 30000 kms on Easton EA90 SL with R4SL hubs and replaced those cartridges 3 times before the rear rim cracked at the nipple holes.

​​​​​​​I favor the Ultegra C60s because they are a newer design.What I actually need is the stiffer one.It is said that the Ultegras are the stiffer one.. Especially at the rear wheel.