Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

JC Penny Foremost (1969 I think)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

JC Penny Foremost (1969 I think)

Old 03-04-22, 01:08 PM
  #1  
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: SoCal
Posts: 76

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
JC Penny Foremost (1969 I think)

My neighbor asked me to take a look at his Grandfather's bike. It's been sitting around in various garages during his life and after his passing. Wheels were off, front fender off, tubes were flat and bike was caked in dust and grime. Front fender is missing the rear stay, I might have to fab something to look more like the rear. Rear fender was badly twisted preventing the rear wheel from spinning. Some parts are pretty badly rusted. After tweaking the rear fender, got the wheels on. Gave it a good bath and then lubed up the chain, cables and shifter. Surprisingly, it seem to ride well. Tires are old and cracked so I just tooled around in the driveway. I asked my neighbor if he wanted me to strip it down and clean/grease all the bearings, remove as must rust as I can and even replace the cables, brakes and tires so he could actually ride it. Riding it isn't really part of his plan, it's just his Grandpa's bike and he feels an attachment to it. He doesn't want to spend too much money or me spend too much time on it. Anyway, there may be more to this story later, but for now I just need to mount the front fender.

The Sturmey Archer hub has 69 on it so I assume that the year the hub was made. It also has a small pulley on the top tube that connects the twist shifter to the hub. Seems an oddball setup. Other pics I've seen of similar Foremosts show a different setup using a outer housing that terminates on the chain stay like most 3 speeders.







Saudadeii is offline  
Likes For Saudadeii:
Old 03-04-22, 01:31 PM
  #2  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 13,039
Mentioned: 377 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,582 Posts
-----

the Penney's Foremost machines were done by a variety of vendors

there were even Italian ones done by Chiorda ca. 1970

serial placement and format will be a helpful clue as to actual maker


-----
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-04-22, 03:21 PM
  #3  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 9,849

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,730 Posts
https://www.modernbike.com/wald-322-...6-fender-brace
dedhed is offline  
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-04-22, 04:37 PM
  #4  
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: SoCal
Posts: 76

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

the Penney's Foremost machines were done by a variety of vendors

there were even Italian ones done by Chiorda ca. 1970

serial placement and format will be a helpful clue as to actual maker


-----
Serial on the bottom bracket #13112

Saudadeii is offline  
Old 03-04-22, 04:37 PM
  #5  
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: SoCal
Posts: 76

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Awesome! Ordered!
Saudadeii is offline  
Old 03-04-22, 05:20 PM
  #6  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 13,039
Mentioned: 377 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,582 Posts
-----

hmmmmmmm...

looks to be a Murray product

they did quite a few models for the J.C. Penney Co.

here is an image of the original store in Kemmerer WY -



-----
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-04-22, 08:08 PM
  #7  
Vintage Schwinn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
juvela, are you sure about Murray, as the chainwheel looks more like a Columbia product.


That Foremost 3 speed will clean up nicely. It will be a nice riding durable, cool old ride.
If you don't believe that thing's paint will clean up like a new bike, just go over to the c.a.b.e. forum and look at threads depicting HARPO's work.
That guy named HARPO over there is the best there is. He kindly shares all of his expert knowledge on how to turn something you'd swear would only look good on the curb on trash pickup day into something that looks almost like it stepped out of a time-warp when it was new. Harpo does this with the original paint......rubbing compound, polishing compound, multiple coats of carnuba car wax, etc.....
Like I said, HARPO is the best in the world. Go see his many transformations, that are detailed in pictures in various threads on the c.a.b.e. .
Harpo is an equal opportunity transformer, his amazing work is seen on high end bicycles as well as just as many low end common old bikes too.
One thing that is constant is that all of them turn out spectacular. My guess is that he probably sees a particular color bicycle that deserves to get transformed back to how it looked when it was new. HARPO on c.a.b.e. is the one to read & see, and to ask about how to and what you need to do it yourself in the same way that he does it. Nobody does it better. You can make that FOREMOST into a great looking & great riding enjoyable bicycle. It will be a fun weekend project that you'll certainly enjoy doing. It is a beautiful classy color, and the decal graphics appear to be in good shape. The wheels chrome will shine again. The bike is simple and isn't particularly complicated. GLENN'S COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL 338 pages written by Harold T Glenn & Clarence Coles (c)1973 sold probably over 1 million copies.
You can find an ex-library book copy of this book from several of the mega used booksellers on ebay for about $6 total with free shipping. These mega booksellers on ebay have over a hundred thousand ebay transactions, and they can ship books for less cost than ordinary people. You'll see a cover photo of a kid's legs riding a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed with 1 piece ashtabula crank, the kid is wearing low cut Converse All-Star tenny shoes and white athletic socks with three dark stripes.....This is the copy of the GLENN's COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL that YOU WILL WANT......probably 1 million+ copies sold between 1973 and 1976. Go on the bay and I guarantee that you'll find within ten days, an ex-library book copy for about $6 from one of those mega used book sellers. That and youtube and other info on the c.a.b.e. and here and elsewhere on the web is all that you'll need.
Clean it up, replace the brake pads and tires/tubes and cables, and you'll have a nice cruiser that you'll enjoy riding. It was more than 50 years ago today, Grandpa Walton got the bike you say, and saudadeii got it rolling again today...................Sturmey Archer 3 speed fan.

Once cleaned up, it will certainly be a cool old vintage 3 speed cruiser, and you'll have a great story to tell when people ask you about it.
The bicycle doesn't have to be from high class, respectable origins to be a really decent, cool bicycle!
Have fun and enjoy getting it back on the road and riding the heck out of it.

..........................ahh two do bain, bee see kletta eh munto bain parra voy seh

Last edited by Vintage Schwinn; 03-04-22 at 08:19 PM.
Vintage Schwinn is offline  
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 03-05-22, 10:18 AM
  #8  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 564 Posts
If it were me, Id flip the seat post clamp around the right way and level the seat. Or replace the seat, if I were actually going to ride it. 😀

Otto
ofajen is offline  
Old 03-05-22, 01:13 PM
  #9  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 13,039
Mentioned: 377 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,582 Posts
-----

checked first the company catalogue for Christmas 1969 but it gives only juvenile models shown here -

​​​​​​

so moved on to check the Christmas book for 1970 and did indeed find an adult threespeed model -

​​​​​​

the text description for the adult threespeed models is on this page under "6 & & 7" -





-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-05-22 at 01:21 PM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-05-22, 02:19 PM
  #10  
Saudadeii
USAF Veteran
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: SoCal
Posts: 76

Bikes: 1984 Univega GT, 2000 Fuji Newest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Nice! I had a Stingray with a stik-shift when I was a juvi.
Saudadeii is offline  
Old 03-05-22, 06:33 PM
  #11  
oldbikenewbike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
juvela, are you sure about Murray, as the chainwheel looks more like a Columbia product.


That Foremost 3 speed will clean up nicely. It will be a nice riding durable, cool old ride.
If you don't believe that thing's paint will clean up like a new bike, just go over to the c.a.b.e. forum and look at threads depicting HARPO's work.
That guy named HARPO over there is the best there is. He kindly shares all of his expert knowledge on how to turn something you'd swear would only look good on the curb on trash pickup day into something that looks almost like it stepped out of a time-warp when it was new. Harpo does this with the original paint......rubbing compound, polishing compound, multiple coats of carnuba car wax, etc.....
Like I said, HARPO is the best in the world. Go see his many transformations, that are detailed in pictures in various threads on the c.a.b.e. .
Harpo is an equal opportunity transformer, his amazing work is seen on high end bicycles as well as just as many low end common old bikes too.
One thing that is constant is that all of them turn out spectacular. My guess is that he probably sees a particular color bicycle that deserves to get transformed back to how it looked when it was new. HARPO on c.a.b.e. is the one to read & see, and to ask about how to and what you need to do it yourself in the same way that he does it. Nobody does it better. You can make that FOREMOST into a great looking & great riding enjoyable bicycle. It will be a fun weekend project that you'll certainly enjoy doing. It is a beautiful classy color, and the decal graphics appear to be in good shape. The wheels chrome will shine again. The bike is simple and isn't particularly complicated. GLENN'S COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL 338 pages written by Harold T Glenn & Clarence Coles (c)1973 sold probably over 1 million copies.
You can find an ex-library book copy of this book from several of the mega used booksellers on ebay for about $6 total with free shipping. These mega booksellers on ebay have over a hundred thousand ebay transactions, and they can ship books for less cost than ordinary people. You'll see a cover photo of a kid's legs riding a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed with 1 piece ashtabula crank, the kid is wearing low cut Converse All-Star tenny shoes and white athletic socks with three dark stripes.....This is the copy of the GLENN's COMPLETE BICYCLE MANUAL that YOU WILL WANT......probably 1 million+ copies sold between 1973 and 1976. Go on the bay and I guarantee that you'll find within ten days, an ex-library book copy for about $6 from one of those mega used book sellers. That and youtube and other info on the c.a.b.e. and here and elsewhere on the web is all that you'll need.
Clean it up, replace the brake pads and tires/tubes and cables, and you'll have a nice cruiser that you'll enjoy riding. It was more than 50 years ago today, Grandpa Walton got the bike you say, and saudadeii got it rolling again today...................Sturmey Archer 3 speed fan.

Once cleaned up, it will certainly be a cool old vintage 3 speed cruiser, and you'll have a great story to tell when people ask you about it.
The bicycle doesn't have to be from high class, respectable origins to be a really decent, cool bicycle!
Have fun and enjoy getting it back on the road and riding the heck out of it.

..........................ahh two do bain, bee see kletta eh munto bain parra voy seh
Hi, it's HARPO from THECABE. You're making me blush, but thank you for the kind words. juvela told me about this, and here's an example. Just the petrified


tires were changed out. All else is original.

BTW...I'm on here also...but I use the name oldbikenewbike on Bike Forums.
oldbikenewbike is offline  
Old 03-06-22, 06:27 AM
  #12  
ollo_ollo
Senior Member
 
ollo_ollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Soviet of Oregon or the NW Florida Redoubt
Posts: 5,262

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 211 Posts
I was on a ride one hot Summer day when I ran across one of these at a yard sale in Sublimity Oregon. There was a hand lettered list of items for sale out front. All I saw was "Claude Butler Touring Bike". He took me to the garage to see something like described above. Still had fenders with wheels intact, but "tubes were flat and bike was caked in dust and grime" plus lots of rust. Asked him why he thought it was a CB tourer? Seems he saw a picture of one same color, that had a similar bar.(North Road?) He asked $600 OBO. Told him the Foremost badge indicated it was a JC Penney product, $20 is more realistic, and that would be for the rear hub. Think I was more disappointed than he was. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 03-06-22 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spelling
ollo_ollo is offline  
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 03-06-22, 01:55 PM
  #13  
roadsnakes
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

checked first the company catalogue for Christmas 1969 but it gives only juvenile models shown here -

​​​​​​

so moved on to check the Christmas book for 1970 and did indeed find an adult threespeed model -

​​​​​​

the text description for the adult threespeed models is on this page under "6 & & 7" -





-----
**************************************************************************************************** **************************************************************************************************** ******************

WOW

Now those would have been some "Boss" Christmas presents back in 1969!

I`m sure not many survived.
'
'



roadsnakes is online now  
Likes For roadsnakes:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.