Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it okay to tighten the top cap a bit more after you tighten the stem bolt?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-14-22, 08:21 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts

I recently changed the stem on my bike. I followed every step I got from youtube. Tested the bike without a single problem. Headset bearings are just right. No binding and no play.

But there is one thing I'm missing in the youtube instructions, is it okay to increase tightness of the topcap bolt AFTER I have tightened the stem bolts?? It's a little bit lose in mine and only takes little pressure with the hex wrench to remove it.
Old 03-14-22, 08:26 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If it's loose then snug it down a bit. If you go too far you'll start to pull the star nut or expander out of the steerer but that's it. This shouldn't be an issue though. When you adjust the headset the top cap should be 'snug', definitely not loose.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-14-22, 08:49 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Once you tighten the stem bolts, the top cap serves no purpose. You can't tighten the bearings by tightening it, and the bearings won't loosen if you loosen it. You could actually remove it without any problem. It doesn't matter if it's tight. Snug it up if it works a bit loose but no need to go overboard.
Old 03-14-22, 09:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,500 Times in 3,345 Posts
It shouldn't make much difference. I tend to like to relieve tension a bit.

I don't know why one would tighten unless it was being used for an accessory mount, or was rattling.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 03-14-22, 09:50 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Tightening the top cap with the stem bolts loose applies pre-load to the headset bearings. After you tighten the stem bolts, the top cap should be snug.

Since the top cap bolt is threaded onto the star nut (or expander), if you continue to tighten it, the stem isn’t going anywhere, but the star nut or expander can be pulled out if you just keep turning and tightening.

The first rule I was taught was to never try to tighten a threadless headset unless I made sure the stem bolts were loosened.

I once had a steel steerer tube that got wet and some surface rust formed on it that I didn’t see. I loosened the stem bolts to add more pre-load, but I just couldn’t set the pre-load. Eventually the star nut was at the top of the steerer tube. I should have realized the threads were going somewhere… lol!

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 03-14-22 at 09:54 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-14-22, 11:43 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Thanks! I'll tighten it a bit and avoid pulling the start nut out!
Old 03-15-22, 10:29 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Ok! You do that!
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 03-15-22, 02:39 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I recently changed the stem on my bike. I followed every step I got from youtube. Tested the bike without a single problem. Headset bearings are just right. No binding and no play.

But there is one thing I'm missing in the youtube instructions, is it okay to increase tightness of the topcap bolt AFTER I have tightened the stem bolts?? It's a little bit lose in mine and only takes little pressure with the hex wrench to remove it.
The job of the cap bolt is to tighten the stem down so that there is no play in the headset. After you accomplish that and there is no for or aft play in the fork by putting the brakes on and wiggling the fork back and forth with no detectable play or sound, the stem is tightened, tested again and then the top cap becomes of no use,. it could pull out a little if the fork lock isn't installed properly but not if the stem has been properly tightened.

So after tightening the headset and the stem you normally just snug the top cap down so that it doesn't rattle. I use mine to install a Garmin mount under the top cap. https://content.backcountry.com/image...KEG000A/BK.jpg
Old 03-15-22, 07:07 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Once you tighten the stem bolts, the top cap serves no purpose. You can't tighten the bearings by tightening it, and the bearings won't loosen if you loosen it. You could actually remove it without any problem. It doesn't matter if it's tight. Snug it up if it works a bit loose but no need to go overboard.
Provided that your stem sits slightly below the top of the steerer tube, you can definitely remove the top cap and star nut after tightening the stem. I did that on quite a few of my kids' bikes with no ill effects.
Old 03-16-22, 08:52 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Provided that your stem sits slightly below the top of the steerer tube, you can definitely remove the top cap and star nut after tightening the stem. I did that on quite a few of my kids' bikes with no ill effects.
It does and that's good to know!