Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1977 PX10-LE (black)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1977 PX10-LE (black)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 07:17 AM
dukeofearl 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
1977 PX10-LE (black)

i've had this bike for about ten years and after a break got back into riding recently. the more i ride i realize i'd like to change some things, plus it's in need of a good cleaning.

i'm thinking a super lj (or similar) front derailleur to replace this shimano replacement that just lost a pin and dropped. also i recently realized i might prefer a less-wide handlebar, so was thinking of using a nitto olympiade i have hanging around. i think it's a b115 right now. Maybe some retrofriction shifters. also i think a slightly longer stem would work better for me.

gearing - i've been trying different freewheels and messing around with the gear ratio calculator. would be nice to have a lower gear for hills as i've got some knee issues. chainrings are 52/36 and freewheel was 14-28 but i just put a 14-31 regina cx that shifts nicely but i think i'll be able to fit a 6 or 7 speed so would like to try that. maybe i could go up to 32t? i'm considering making the front something like 48/32, or maybe just leave the 36.

Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 09-20-22, 07:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Really nice bike. The stronglight 99 crank gives you a nice range of possible chainrings (it can go as small as 28 on the inside) to improve climbing. I'm impressed (and a bit surprised) that the short cage simplex sx 660 RD can handle a 14-31 freewheel. I thought these topped out at 26 but velobase doesn't have the info on this (there are threads on this on BF):

https://www.velobase.com/ViewCompone...7e2cd&Enum=108

The nitto bars won't work with your french stem. You'll have to go with a nitto (or other 22.2/ 25.4) stem (the Olympiade is 25.4 right?). A nitto stem might drop in or you may have to sand it a bit as French bikes use 22.0 stems with a 25.0 clamp.

Very pretty bike and nicely set up. There is little I would change other than dialing in the fit and gearing to your liking.

Old 09-20-22, 04:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Looks like my old one.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 09-20-22, 07:47 PM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by thumpism
Looks like my old one.
nice! i haven't seen another one in black before
Old 09-20-22, 07:53 PM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by bikemig
Really nice bike. The stronglight 99 crank gives you a nice range of possible chainrings (it can go as small as 28 on the inside) to improve climbing. I'm impressed (and a bit surprised) that the short cage simplex sx 660 RD can handle a 14-31 freewheel. I thought these topped out at 26 but velobase doesn't have the info on this (there are threads on this on BF):

https://www.velobase.com/ViewCompone...7e2cd&Enum=108

The nitto bars won't work with your french stem. You'll have to go with a nitto (or other 22.2/ 25.4) stem (the Olympiade is 25.4 right?). A nitto stem might drop in or you may have to sand it a bit as French bikes use 22.0 stems with a 25.0 clamp.

Very pretty bike and nicely set up. There is little I would change other than dialing in the fit and gearing to your liking.

thanks! yeah it's strange, the stem on there now is unbranded and fits a nitto. i also have another unbranded 22mm stem that seems to fit the olympiade. can't remember where i got them. i think one came with the px10.

i was surprised the 14-31 worked on there too. i've read through some threads here and got confused at the many variations of simplex derailleurs so thought i'd just give it a shot. if i go down to something like 32 up front, that should give me enough for hills.
Old 09-20-22, 10:07 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
I have an older PX-10. I'm so used to seeing them in white, that it is super cool to see a black one!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 09-26-22, 03:22 PM
dukeofearl 

I started disassembling the bike and the handlebars are Philippe Atax Franco Italio D352, so I was wrong about the Nitto. The other 22 stem (anyone know that logo?) I have does seem to fit the Olympiade handlebars though.

I'm also not totally confident about the freewheel going up to 31/32. One of the pulley wheels is broken, maybe caused by that? I think I'll go back to 14-28 like I had for years (or try 30) and go for 32/48 chainrings or something similar. Or maybe get a triple. Going to need a new front derailleur anyways. Any reason not to go the triple route? I know I'd need a new spindle and was considering a sealed bb anyways. Velo orange has them with spindles up to 122 (could be a close call) and I see Neco brand ones up to 127mm.
Old 09-27-22, 01:46 AM
Nirosha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great