Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1979 Peugeot PXN10LE "Super Competition"

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-13-22, 05:43 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 54 Posts

Found this this little gem October 1st, 2022. Purchased it October 2nd. The seller picked it up at an estate sale way up river. He said he knew the original owner and merely wanted to save the bike from going to the trash heap as the estate sale was winding down to a close. Apparently the original owner was famous in his small McKenzie River community for riding the bike every day year after year. I was very fortunate here as the bike was listed well below market value, in ridable condition, and it came with some extra goodies.

A seven digit serial number stamped on the bottom bracket shell dates the frame as a 1979 build. The US Peugeot brochures for 1979 indicate a PXN10LE "Super Competition." However, it seems that the PXN10LE for that year would have a fork with chrome socks rather than a fork that is fully chromed. But the 1980 model came with a fully chromed fork. I suspect a late production example or else a replaced fork. Either way, I'm super pleased since I prefer full chrome. Aside from that, the bike still wears a few of its original components: LaPrade seat post, Module E 700c rims, Maillard 700 hubs, Simplex Retrofriction shift levers, Atom 600 pedals, and Stronglight Competition bottom bracket. Haven't confirmed the freewheel or chain yet. Everything else had been swapped out with Campy, Cinelli, Superbe, San Marco bits by the original owner... But, among the extra goodies that came with the bike was the original Stronglight 105bis crankset with black drillium chainrings.

The seller replaced the tires with cheap rubber because he felt its old tires were falling apart and just wanted to sell a safe bike. I was amazed to see that the frame takes a 38 mm tire! Just barely, but it does.

Since bringing it home I've mostly taken it to work and back. It rides nice, and needs very little to get it back into shape. All I've done so far was to raise the seat post a bit. With the saddle set back, and the 100 mm stem reach, I'm able to fit this small frame quite comfortably. As for now, I don't have any immediate plans for the bike other than a good wipe down followed by a piecemeal overhaul. And riding, I defiantly plan on riding this bike.

Please excuse the grime. Sometimes dirty is pertty!

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 10-13-22 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For Dirt Road Blues:
Old 10-13-22, 05:51 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Old 10-13-22, 06:18 PM
dukeofearl 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
Nice find! And cool color. I'm surprised you can fit 38s, I might have to try that myself.
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 10-13-22, 06:24 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Uggg... The thread title typo. Oh well lol
Old 10-13-22, 06:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...I think of these bikes as quick handling, and a little flexy, because of the metric tubing. So I try to put lighter tires on mine. Yours is very well appointed, so you should have some fun with it.
Old 10-13-22, 06:43 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by dukeofearl
Nice find! And cool color. I'm surprised you can fit 38s, I might have to try that myself.
​​​
Dangerously close. And the rubber is too wide for skinny rims in my opinion. Fine for putting around town for now, but I wouldn't hammer around any corners or take it downhill.

I suppose a wider rim would improve things but then I suspect the tire may spread out a bit more on a wider rim? If that's the case they'd be hitting the stays.

So yea, 38s can fit, but I don't think it's practical or safe. I'll probably go for 26, maybe 28 max when I replace them since I'd like to keep the wheel set on the bike.

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 10-13-22 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-13-22, 06:49 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I think of these bikes as quick handling, and a little flexy, because of the metric tubing. So I try to put lighter tires on mine. Yours is very well appointed, so you should have some fun with it.
​​​​​​These tires are definitely killing the bike's potential. I might spring for a set of turbo cottons. I ran those on a Columbus SL tubed Benotto build, and while they're spendy, they're worth every penny in my opinion. I think this Peugeot deserves a tire like that.
Old 10-14-22, 06:49 AM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts
Until I saw your post, I had forgotten that this is one of my holy grail bikes. That is based on seeing one brand new on the floor, in this same color, around 1980 when I was in college. What struck me was the color as well as the unique black chainrings on the 105bis crank. Spectacular find, and those period correct upgrades like the Superbe brakes only add to its character. I need to find one myself! Great find!
Old 10-14-22, 12:51 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Originally Posted by 75lechamp
Until I saw your post, I had forgotten that this is one of my holy grail bikes. That is based on seeing one brand new on the floor, in this same color, around 1980 when I was in college. What struck me was the color as well as the unique black chainrings on the 105bis crank. Spectacular find, and those period correct upgrades like the Superbe brakes only add to its character. I need to find one myself! Great find!
Huge fan of early Superbe. I'd gladly choose them over Mafac in many cases. This is definitely such a case.

The light shade of metallic blue complimented by sherbet orange has become one of my favorite color combos.

Of course I'm excited about a Record crankset, but I'm also grateful that the original owner saved the Stronglight when he made the swap. It's missing a chainring bolt but is otherwise in great shape.

I've seen a few of these specific Peugeot come up for sale in Eugene over the past year or so. I'm also aware of one in a 57 cm size that is currently for sale, however it's priced higher than what I think is fair despite being original and in great condition.

I hope you find yours!
Old 10-14-22, 01:51 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4501 Post(s)
Liked 6,367 Times in 3,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Road Blues
​​​
Dangerously close. And the rubber is too wide for skinny rims in my opinion. Fine for putting around town for now, but I wouldn't hammer around any corners or take it downhill.

I suppose a wider rim would improve things but then I suspect the tire may spread out a bit more on a wider rim? If that's the case they'd be hitting the stays.

So yea, 38s can fit, but I don't think it's practical or safe. I'll probably go for 26, maybe 28 max when I replace them since I'd like to keep the wheel set on the bike.
So maybe I don't ride hard enough but at some point MTB's ran really skinny rims with 2.?+in. tires that seemed to be fine. And yes I realize its a bit apples and oranges but still....

Not sure about 38's but I have 32's on most of my riders and wouldn't hesitate to go bigger if they fit and plan to try it out in the future.

Last edited by merziac; 10-14-22 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 11-16-22, 02:27 PM
Dirt Road Blues 

Been riding the Peugeot almost daily since bringing it home. Mostly just to work and back. It's been a pleasure despite a few issues which have been waiting to be addressed.

Most notably, the brakes needed attention as stopping power has been weak enough to classify as sketchy. Also, 38mm tires on Mavic Module E rims just don't feel safe to me. Especially while cornering.

The lack of bar tape between levers and stem made for an enhanced chill factor during the morning commute. The highly corroded and hardened hoods were simply uncomfortable and unpleasant in the hand.

After finally making some improvements yesterday, I took it out for a spin this morning. And while the to-do list isn't complete yet, it's a vastly different bike already.

Cleaned the chain and gave it a good lube. Replaced brake cables, cleaned the rim brake surfaces, and cleaned the pads. Swapped the oversized, wire bead, cheap tires out for a pair of 24mm Turbo Cottons. Rewrapped the bars in cloth tape, and slipper a set of Soma hoods over the levers.

I was hoping to pick up a small can of amber shellac this morning, but unfortunately all I found was a large can of clear. I think I'll just leave things as they are for now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the old leather Christophe toe straps were noncompliant and wouldn't allow for easy in easy out foot placement. They'd often snag a shoe one way or another. Swapped em out for a trusty pair of MKS nylon straps and life is much better now.

Last edited by Dirt Road Blues; 11-16-22 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-16-22, 08:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
My son put 35s on my old 1980 PKN-10, with a little margin to space. In my experience, I have found that tires can vary a lot from their callout size, with Specialized running largish and Continentals running a bit small. I envy you -- your PX-10 should turn out to be a great all-rounder, fast yet practical.

"See, Erik, if I pump up the tires, maybe Daddy will take us for a trailer ride."

My old PKN-10, now my son's kiddie-puller, although the boys are getting big for the trailer now.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-16-22, 08:19 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
If you are unhappy with the stopping power even after installing KoolStop brake pads and low-friction cables, your next steps are areo brake levers (about a 15% increase in leverage) and dual-pivot sidepulls. I finally got desperate and scared enough by my Bianchi's Campag. sidepulls that I went that route, and I am delighted with the change. Current braking system = Shimano aero brake levers, Shimano low-friction, low-compression cable housings, Shimano dual pivot calipers, and salmon KoolStop pads. Picture taken before the caliper change. At least the KoolStops and aero brake levers were some help -- it was downright suicidal with Shimano pads and non-aero Modolo brake levers.

Original equipment matched 1982 Campione d'Italia specs. Frame date is late 1981. "Charcoal" color not found in catalog listing.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069