Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

VO stems fit into French steerers.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

VO stems fit into French steerers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 03:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Origin-8 brand stems fit into French steerers.

I just received several stems and measured their quill diameters. The three ORIGIN-8 stems measure no greater than 22.0mm, slightly less in places, so are sure to be a real time-saver versus filing down stems as I have often resorted.
EDIT; I test-fitted one into both a PX10 and a Urago, both are from the 1960's and so definitely both 22.0mm spec.

Though rather heavy, these very inexpensive stems are sleek and beefy, with notable extra material surrounding the tapped hole that runs up into the bottom of the extension, just behind the clamp. They are otherwise much like a copy of the ubiquitous "SR Custom" stem iir, which was possibly the most mass-produced stem ever.

I found that the logo was very easily removed with wetted, medium steel wool, leaving no blemish to the original, smooth finish.

Also, that the clamp diameter, at my measured 25.56mm, will likely work either with 25.4mm (as intended) or 25.8mm handlebars.
EDIT; I did test-install a pair of TTT bars, but it took much spreading force from an Allen key being wedged in and rotated 30 degrees. So I'm uncomfortable recommending this stem being used with bars larger than 25.4mm.

I am quite pleased with this find. A shiny, sturdy 10cm stem for an old French bike is an oft-needed part(!).
Just don't use it with a 25.0mm French handlebar(!), which are almost always too narrow anyway.

Note that most true 22.0 French stem quills measure at least a tenth of a millimeter smaller than 22.0mm, with many even measuring well under that, so I don't consider these stems at all unsafe to use in the intended 22.2mm ID steer tubes, especially as the slant/wedge design isn't vulnerable to cracks developing from any over-expansion of the quill by a cone-type of wedge.

Last edited by dddd; 09-15-15 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Origin-8 was called VO, oops.
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-15-15, 03:40 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Hmmmm.....I did not know that they included Russian made, heavy gauge, reusable condoms with VO stems these days....
What will they think of next??
Likes For Chombi:
Old 09-15-15, 04:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by Chombi
Hmmmm.....I did not know that they included Russian made, heavy gauge, reusable condoms with VO stems these days....
What will they think of next??
Apparently there is a long-standing tradition of such. Yes, quite re-usable, contains the grease well enough even on pull-outs.
Old 09-15-15, 05:02 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Apparently there is a long-standing tradition of such. Yes, quite re-usable, contains the grease well enough even on pull-outs.
wow....you just went there...kudos.
Old 09-16-15, 06:56 AM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I just received several stems and measured their quill diameters. The three ORIGIN-8 stems measure no greater than 22.0mm, slightly less in places, so are sure to be a real time-saver versus filing down stems as I have often resorted.
EDIT; I test-fitted one into both a PX10 and a Urago, both are from the 1960's and so definitely both 22.0mm spec.

Though rather heavy, these very inexpensive stems are sleek and beefy, with notable extra material surrounding the tapped hole that runs up into the bottom of the extension, just behind the clamp. They are otherwise much like a copy of the ubiquitous "SR Custom" stem iir, which was possibly the most mass-produced stem ever.

I found that the logo was very easily removed with wetted, medium steel wool, leaving no blemish to the original, smooth finish.

Also, that the clamp diameter, at my measured 25.56mm, will likely work either with 25.4mm (as intended) or 25.8mm handlebars.
EDIT; I did test-install a pair of TTT bars, but it took much spreading force from an Allen key being wedged in and rotated 30 degrees. So I'm uncomfortable recommending this stem being used with bars larger than 25.4mm.

I am quite pleased with this find. A shiny, sturdy 10cm stem for an old French bike is an oft-needed part(!).
Just don't use it with a 25.0mm French handlebar(!), which are almost always too narrow anyway.

Note that most true 22.0 French stem quills measure at least a tenth of a millimeter smaller than 22.0mm, with many even measuring well under that, so I don't consider these stems at all unsafe to use in the intended 22.2mm ID steer tubes, especially as the slant/wedge design isn't vulnerable to cracks developing from any over-expansion of the quill by a cone-type of wedge.

Ignoring the subsequent details, I do want to thank you for this. Especially on the test to remove that hideous logo. I have two French bikes and could use inconspicuous stem options.

Thanks.
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Likes For LeicaLad:
Old 09-16-15, 09:17 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
If you care about such things, they're too modern looking for any bike that would require a 22 mm stem.
Old 09-16-15, 09:26 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Thanks for the info. I like it - nice smooth finish. Definitely like the look of this stem vs. the 70's Pivo, etc.

Old 09-16-15, 05:12 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I've just finished installing one of the Origin-8 stems that I also modified to properly fit and grip a 26.0 handlebar.

I had to fashion a sort of reamer to apply the necessarily forceful sanding action that would maintain the straight bore centerline with even stock removal. It worked out great, and I'm just now about to finish wrapping my new, wider, Trek-sourced handlebars with a bit shallower ramp angle than the original, narrow, 25.0mm AVA handlebars.
True, that the original look has not been preserved, but I at least got the clamp and rider-fit dimensions worked out to perfection using an older bar with plain, silver center and with traditional round curves instead of some Ergo-Anatomic style. I did what I could with the parts I had, and now will be riding with a non-death stem and padded tape. I'll post a before and after of the bike in a little while.

Old 09-16-15, 06:48 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Ok, it all done and ready for a ride. It sure will be nice to really climb the very steep ones without my knees hitting the upper level of the handlebar, even though I don't think I was able to raise the bars higher than before at all before reaching the stem's limit line. The "ramp angle" of these (Trek) "System III" 26mmX42cm bars does seem taller at the levers as shown.

This was the third frame with a 22mm steerer ID that one of these new stems went into without effort, and those plastic caps kept grease off of things while I did the many test-fitting routines in getting this stem on board. I'm sure that I will notice the stiffer handlebar mounting versus the hollow, skinny death stem.

Noting that I did have to very slightly relieve the headset locknut ID, using a Dremel, so there was an easy sliding fit.
I used the CycloLinea padded tape from Nashbar, and this tape comes up short unless you keep overlap to about 1/4" in most places. I literally trimmed zero from the ends, except for the angle cut, and that on the first try! Not bad for $5 though.

Also the generous cable lengths now border on too short, but the pro riders used to set them up that way in many cases, probably to save weight and aero drag! I can turn the bars fully with no problem, and the brakes are working great with Jagwire's cheaper pads in back to quiet a buzzy squeal against the serrated rim sidewalls.

As always, the Cane Creek hoods save the day, enabling a good build on a tight budget, while keeping the original levers (these older ones with the much-gentler curve downward, thus a little more reach).

Old 05-16-16, 12:44 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I can also attest to the Origin8 stem purchased last week working with the French steerer of my PX-10.
Old 05-16-16, 08:42 AM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Great call on the Origin 8 stems. I had been looking for a new, shorter-reach stem for my Grand Jubile, and the Origin 8 fit perfectly; a little steel wool and the hideous logo is a thing of the past. Thanks!
Old 05-16-16, 08:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is great info and very useful info on Russian personal safety products as well,
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-16-16, 09:38 AM
Narhay

Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I spent many a day humming and hawing over French eBay stems. They were either not the right size, too expensive or not to my aesthetic liking. These are pretty generic looking stems which is just fine by me and they are replacing some very nice and light but flexy for my size Ava stem and bars.
Old 11-09-22, 09:07 PM
dukeofearl 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
thread revival alert!

i was researching french stems with 26 clamp diameter and found this thread. so i bought an origin 8 stem on ebay and it's too big for my 3 peugeots (72, 77, 81). just a cautionary tale.

maybe there was an era of these that were smaller? anyways, the search continues...
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 11-10-22, 01:34 AM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
thread revival alert!

i was researching french stems with 26 clamp diameter and found this thread. so i bought an origin 8 stem on ebay and it's too big for my 3 peugeots (72, 77, 81). just a cautionary tale.

maybe there was an era of these that were smaller? anyways, the search continues...
I recently bought some old stock ITM stems that I liked the look of .
On receiving them I found they measured just under 22mm

I have used one on a known french threaded/sized fork .

Old 11-10-22, 05:22 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
I have a happy PX-10 with an Origin8 stem. The AVA went into the recycling bin.

The stem is crudely finished though. I did spend some sanding time on the visible area and finished with the buffer.
Old 11-10-22, 06:43 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I find a lot of 22.2 stems measure more like 22.0. And I have a pile of them. The odd handlebar size on many French bikes is also an issue. So a smallish 22.2 stem can be a good choice. Digital calipers for the WIN.

To anyone looking for a bargain, take your calipers to the closest co op and dig through their stem bin. Chances are you will find some good options that will measure 22.0.

My other strategy on finding French parts is to pick up a 1970s Motobecane, lower model. There I find Japanese made parts in French sizes, like SR forged stems. I also find Swiss bottom brackets (and sometimes French BB, again Japanese made). They also tended to use mid level Suntour derailleurs.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-10-22 at 06:47 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-10-22, 08:56 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by wrk101
I find a lot of 22.2 stems measure more like 22.0. And I have a pile of them. The odd handlebar size on many French bikes is also an issue. So a smallish 22.2 stem can be a good choice. Digital calipers for the WIN.

To anyone looking for a bargain, take your calipers to the closest co op and dig through their stem bin. Chances are you will find some good options that will measure 22.0.

My other strategy on finding French parts is to pick up a 1970s Motobecane, lower model. There I find Japanese made parts in French sizes, like SR forged stems. I also find Swiss bottom brackets (and sometimes French BB, again Japanese made). They also tended to use mid level Suntour derailleurs.
Yeah I suppose a trip to a local coop would be better than ebay trial and error. Not one that close unfortunately. Good call on the moto, though I'm hesitant to bring another bike into the basement wasteland!

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
I recently bought some old stock ITM stems that I liked the look of .
On receiving them I found they measured just under 22mm

I have used one on a known french threaded/sized fork .
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for one of those. Please let me know if you have any you'd like to sell.
Old 11-10-22, 09:07 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I just pick whatever stem I want to use and then sand it down as needed. Sometimes you get lucky and they fit straight away. Other times you've got some work to do.

On my Grand Record, I was lazy and left it rough where I sanded above the insertion point.

On my PX-10 I took a bit more time and got it looking good. Sadly, the only picture I have handy covers it up with a bell, but, trust me, it looks great.

Old 11-10-22, 09:24 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 1,573 Times in 731 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
...On my PX-10
Great paint scheme! Custom? (gotta be)
Old 11-10-22, 09:36 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Great paint scheme! Custom? (gotta be)
No, that was the PX-10 Super Deluxe around 1964-1967. Near as I can tell, the only thing "super deluxe" about it was the different lug paint scheme. There was also, I believe, a UO-8 Super Deluxe, which is about as much of an oxymoron as I can imagine.
Old 11-10-22, 09:46 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Curious - it seems as if the thread title is in error - Velo-Orange vs. Origin 8 - but by any chance are any VO quill stems also 22.0?

Would be nice if the Grand Cru came in that size...

-Kurt

Old 11-10-22, 11:01 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I just pick whatever stem I want to use and then sand it down as needed. Sometimes you get lucky and they fit straight away. Other times you've got some work to do.

On my Grand Record, I was lazy and left it rough where I sanded above the insertion point.

On my PX-10 I took a bit more time and got it looking good. Sadly, the only picture I have handy covers it up with a bell, but, trust me, it looks great.
I've never tried the sanding method - I think I'll give it a shot