Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Competition replacement stem?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 05:43 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts

I just picked up a lovely 1974 Raleigh Carleton Competition. It has the original GB stem, but i think I need it to go a little higher than the GB wants to go. What would be a good replacement? Not sure about sizing, my past bikes have been a little later vintage. I don't want anything that would look out of place on the bike, I still want drop bars and the reach is fine. Just wondering if a standard 1" quill will work or if there's something eccentric about the sizing.

Also, what would the clamp diameter be on this GB stem?
Old 01-18-23, 07:12 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
I just picked up a lovely 1974 Raleigh Carleton Competition. It has the original GB stem, but i think I need it to go a little higher than the GB wants to go. What would be a good replacement? Not sure about sizing, my past bikes have been a little later vintage. I don't want anything that would look out of place on the bike, I still want drop bars and the reach is fine. Just wondering if a standard 1" quill will work or if there's something eccentric about the sizing.

Also, what would the clamp diameter be on this GB stem?
I would guess the clamp to 26.0. Are you thinking of running the original bars? I tend to replace handle bars that are vintage with something new. Less prone to failure.

I have used these Nitto Stems in the past with good results.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-ntc-...xoC4ekQAvD_BwE

They have more height than most regular stems but are not crazy long like a Nitto Technomic.
Old 01-18-23, 07:51 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 197 Posts
All my Raleighs take a 25.4 dia handlebar, not a 26.0.
Old 01-18-23, 08:21 PM
Roypercy

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I would guess the clamp to 26.0. Are you thinking of running the original bars? I tend to replace handle bars that are vintage with something new. Less prone to failure.

I have used these Nitto Stems in the past with good results.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-ntc-...xoC4ekQAvD_BwE

They have more height than most regular stems but are not crazy long like a Nitto Technomic.
thanks! Yes, I’m going to take a good look at the handlebars and consider replacing them with something perhaps lighter. I think the ones on there may be steel, not alloy, but I haven’t taken off the wrap yet to be sure
Old 01-18-23, 08:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
One thing you should include in your toolkit is a set of calipers. Harbor Freight sells them for cheap, and it looks like you've got a store in Brooklyn. An inexpensive one will sett you back $10. Just remember what Rear Admiral Grace Hopper said:

Old 01-18-23, 10:07 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
One thing you should include in your toolkit is a set of calipers. Harbor Freight sells them for cheap, and it looks like you've got a store in Brooklyn. An inexpensive one will sett you back $10. Just remember what Rear Admiral Grace Hopper said:

A must-have for every toolbox. Old-school vernier calipers are C &V cool but the digital ones are better for noobs or aging eyes.

Last edited by Straightblock; 01-18-23 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 01:07 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
A must-have for every toolbox. Old-school vernier calipers are C &V cool but the digital ones are better for noobs or aging eyes.
I'm a vernier guy from way back but digital calipers are SO handy, especially when working with both SAE and Metric on a regular basis. A simple tap of a button and the conversion is done for you and since I'm a "vernier guy from way back" that aging eyes thing has started to come into play...... a lot.